Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 or Touareg? XC90 seems less reliable...

Views : 9183

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2008, 11:35   #11
200bhp
XC90 03 D5 Auto

My friend was a Toureg driver trainer (ie he'd show you how to drive one off road or on track etc)

They mostly used the V10 diesels but they broke them VERY quickly.

I'd suggest that the number of 'problem reviews' has to be taken in context with the numbers sold - I don't know but believe that there are far more XC90's than Touregs.
200bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 11:59   #12
shimon340

Hi there,

The data I quote isn’t based on the number of breakdowns total but is adjusted per 100 or 1000 vehicles sold in total in the UK. So this gives a means to compare different models. Of course, very low volumes will be more dramatically affected by breakdowns but neither the Toureg or the XC90 is low volume.

Given such data, the VW and Audi have the second highest call out rates for electrical faults, not including flat batteries and other simple reasons. This has also been quoted in other surveys and includes data from all breakdown assistance companies.

Such data also shows Volvo is one of the best brands in the UK (can’t disclose exact position), but lets just say Toyota and Volvo are almost identical in lack of call out numbers.

Extended warranty work (not from RAC but from other sources) shows the Toureg has significantly above average number of common faults. All product lines will have their common problems e.g. (purely as examples, not real info) Renault Meganes suffer from poor starter motors, driver door locks failing and noise power steering pumps. The list/number of common faults on VW’s and especially the Toureg is much above average. This is a problem for VAG group given that this lack of quality and reliability comes at the time they are expanding their model line up the fastest, getting into new segments and trying to grow through conquest sales…..
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shimon340 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:01   #13
tamas
Tamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The XC90 has always had a D5 engine fitted. However the D5 engine was redesigned to meet the new euro emission requirments in 2005 I think. The 185bhp is the newer engine and is a euro 4, the older one was a euro 3.

As for reliability, mines been fine. (2003 XC90 D5 165bhp) I'd say there seem to be more old Volvos around than VW's but then I'm biased.

All the best.

Roy
Yes, that's correct. Till 2005, the D5 was Euro3 and had 163HP. There was another diesel engine, too, the 2,4D (at least in continental Europe, dunno about UK) with 140HP.
After 2005 they got rid of the 140HP 2,4d and renamed the old 163 D5 to 2.4D. On top of that, as Roy mentioned, the engine was upgraded to 186HP and is named D5.
tamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 18:20   #14
phil@ashins

Default Bulletproof

Any D5's, maintained,looked after is BULLETPROOF
thats all you need to know.

cheers Phil
phil@ashins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 19:38   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimon340 View Post
Hi there,

The data I quote isn’t based on the number of breakdowns total but is adjusted per 100 or 1000 vehicles sold in total in the UK. So this gives a means to compare different models. Of course, very low volumes will be more dramatically affected by breakdowns but neither the Toureg or the XC90 is low volume.

Given such data, the VW and Audi have the second highest call out rates for electrical faults, not including flat batteries and other simple reasons. This has also been quoted in other surveys and includes data from all breakdown assistance companies.

Such data also shows Volvo is one of the best brands in the UK (can’t disclose exact position), but lets just say Toyota and Volvo are almost identical in lack of call out numbers.

Extended warranty work (not from RAC but from other sources) shows the Toureg has significantly above average number of common faults. All product lines will have their common problems e.g. (purely as examples, not real info) Renault Meganes suffer from poor starter motors, driver door locks failing and noise power steering pumps. The list/number of common faults on VW’s and especially the Toureg is much above average. This is a problem for VAG group given that this lack of quality and reliability comes at the time they are expanding their model line up the fastest, getting into new segments and trying to grow through conquest sales…..

Where do citroen fit in with this list?
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 23:17   #16
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Where do citroen fit in with this list?
Oei, guess the list wasn't long enough
Before the XC90 I had a Peugeot 807 (same as Citroen C8) which was voted worst car by Top Gear. I've probably been lucky as it has actually been quite good for the 4 Years I owned it.
I'm still an active member of the Eurovan2 forum and reading the stories there makes you shiver...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 15:51   #17
4wheeldriver
Master Member

For information purposes there's an article in this months prcatical Caravan magazine on the Touareg against a Jeep and it mention comparisons against the xc90 too. Its the January edition if anyone wants to have a look for comparative purposes.
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote