Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Been sold a lemon

Views : 18829

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:40   #11
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

as mike said , a complete replacement sill if done properly will last for years, but looking at that i would say take it back and ask them for your money back, it looks rather too bad to have a patch on it i would doubt the inner sill is much better and if the dealer sells that sort of motor STAY WELL CLEAR.
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:41   #12
mikealder
VOC Member

I would probably accept a replacement sill welded to the car as that lot looks well past a patch up, what's the other side look like under the sill cover? - Mike
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 10:58   #13
nicholasjgroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I would probably accept a replacement sill welded to the car as that lot looks well past a patch up, what's the other side look like under the sill cover? - Mike
i paid £1275 for the car, we're assuming the new sill would cost more than that to have it done properly, plus the car has other rust problems and a few mechanical issues (VVT pulley)
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:00   #14
mikealder
VOC Member

The sill and welding won't be too costly, £60 for the panel and probably £150 for the welding, something a dealer should be able to do at less cost due to being in the trade.
If you are paying for the VVT repair then use the rusted structure as an excuse to get your money back and look for another one - Mike
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:05   #15
migrator
Aye - him again

At the very least I would have expected the latest MOT to have advisories about the sill covers and not being able to inspect the sills properly.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
The Following User Says Thank You to migrator For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:13   #16
nicholasjgroom

' It must also be roadworthy. (It is a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy car). A car is not roadworthy if its brakes, tyres, steering, or construction make it unfit for the road. Even if the car has an MOT certificate, this doesn't necessarily mean that it is roadworthy.'

Surely even if the dealer tells me to do one I still have the law on my side then if the car's structural integrity has serious issues
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:13   #17
capt jack
VOC Member

A dealer selling a car at any price from has a duty to supply a vehicle that is fit for purpose.

Unless you bought the car for spares and told the dealer so at the time, then your purpose in buying the car was to use it on the public road.

Clearly the car isn't fit for that, and so given that you've only just bought the car I reckon you are entitled to your money back. No argument.

Many years ago I bought a 740 estate -smart looking car, not in the first flush, but it seemed OK. I paid for it, collected it and on the journey home as I went round a corner, a fair amount of water dumped itself all over me. The sunroof seals had clearly gone ande water had collected in the roof void somewhere.

I turned the car round, took it back to the dealer, sadly ended up having a blazing row with them but came away with my money back.

If you only paid £1275 to a dealer for your car then he will have acquired it at scrap value. If he's in the trade there's a very high probability that he knew exactly what was going on with the car. Go get your cash back and look elsewhere.

Cheers

Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:34   #18
banksy66
Master Member

Can I just clarify a few points before replying?

Have you spoken to the dealer and asked what he is prepared to do to remedy the situation?

What do you want him to do to remedy the situation?

Who MOT'd the car? Was it the dealer or an independent tester?

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:40   #19
nicholasjgroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy66 View Post
Can I just clarify a few points before replying?

Have you spoken to the dealer and asked what he is prepared to do to remedy the situation?

What do you want him to do to remedy the situation?

Who MOT'd the car? Was it the dealer or an independent tester?
Yes, I'm going to be taking it back to him and he's going to arrange an independent inspection, i started this thread to see exactly what sort of position i'm in

I want him to give me a full refund as the car is clearly unroadworthy and i don't believe it can be repaired fully

and independent tester did the MOT but because of the plastic sill panels the y wouldn't of been able to see the damage to the door sill
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:51   #20
kebab10
Premier Member

Just get your money back. Dont bother with the independent inspection unless the dealer insists, just get CASH and go elsewhere.
Closed Thread