Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Tyres

Views : 4228

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 11:06   #1
doctorstephen

Default XC90 Tyres

Dear all,
Just wanted some of your opinions regarding which brand of tyres would you recommended for the XC90? We mainly drive on roads, and wanted a set of tyres that is quiet with good grip.
Cheers!
doctorstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 13:01   #2
Beeman

Default XC 90 Tyres

Have just replaced the Continental Contacts on our XC 90 at 25100 miles.
Apparently a good mileage! The Contacts were quiet on road but were poor on muddy surfaces which lead quickly to filled up the treads.
Have now switched to Michelin Diamaris @ £584 (fitted,valves,balanced) at Ebley.
£ 585.86 quoted by ATS and Bathwick. £700 @ National. £650 @ Ski but not available off the shelf.
The Michelin Synchrones on my wife's Freelander seem to be lasting 'forever' so I hope that the Diamaris suit as well. Over the short distance since fitting the Diamaris seem quiet enough even tho' they have more cleats in the tread.
We'll see.
NB. There does seem to be a shortage of 235/6 R 18 130V Diamaris in the UK.

Beeman
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 18:25   #3
Diggerv70

Default Tyres

25,100 - that is good, considering we're on the same tyres and after 14 months, and 15000 miles they need replacing on the front. I contacted Continental direct and they have informed me that this is a healthy result for the XC90. I'm not happy with this response - so I'll be switching brands too. I know it goes on driving style, maintainance and regular pressure checks, but what are others experiencing with regard to tyre wear? Should I replace all 4 (rears have still got a healthy 5mm) should I have swapped the rears with the front at an earlier stage to ensure even wear, and any really good recommendations or bad ones to stay clear of?
Diggerv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 14:03   #4
patl

Unhappy

Hi Guys,

My tyre wear is miserable !!! 13500 and I am about to replace the front tyres. I have no intention of using Continentals, so I would also like to know what other tyres people are using and if they can get better milage out of them.

I was thinking of Nokain WR or NRVi, or maybe Goodyear GSD3, or Pirelli Scorpian. Anybody out there in Volvo land who has experience of these ??

Regards,
Patrick.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 21:28   #5
T_Rifles

When I had an XC90 I replaced my Continentals with Nokian NRVi. Good price from a local independent fitter, about £90 each, quiet and good grip.

Also seemed to help the outside edge wear. Ran them at about half way between normal load and full load pressure. 36psi if I remember rightly.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 11:09   #6
Beeman

Default Beeman

When I was researching replacements for the Continentals on our XC 90 (see above) I came across the Nokians (made by the Nokia phone group) and the comments from the various tyre fitting companies were that Nokians were regarded as 'budget tyres' and that 'you get what you pay for'!
I too would like to hear from people with first hand experience but at the moment am very happy with the Michelin Diamaris
Beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 00:10   #7
yeoman
Master Member

Hello,
I have done 4k miles on nokian NRV tyres.The tyres have a built in thread depth indicator(which I think is quite clever ,as the number that is shown indicates the thread depth left)
Currently I ve still got 7mm after 4K miles.
I had all 4 tyres fully fitted for 300.00 flat

The nokains are as quite as my previous contis( if not quieter)

Hope this helps.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 22:53   #8
pj41

The Nokian's certainly seem to have good reviews all round and I intend to replace my Contis with these.

How did you go about finding a local supplier for the Nokians? I am in the East Midlands if anyone has any good suggestions.

Cheers.
pj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 23:30   #9
tj101c70

Out of 5 XC90 (all D5's) have yet to get better that 13k form either the conti's of Pirelli tyres (this after swapping front to rears, but only running down to 2mm at the least )
The Pirelli Scorpion do seam to have a better edge to them for "off road" ie grass etc,

Have yet to see any D5 engined vehicle get better the 20k on the driven axle, and still be legal !!!
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:36   #10
tem
Premier Member

I fitted Nokian WR 235/60 R18 107V XL tyres to MY05 XC90 and after 23000 miles they were removed and fitted to MY07 XC90.

To date, these tyres have now covered 27500 miles. Two of the tyres have 6.5 mm of tread left and the other two have 8.0 mm of tread. (These tyres start with 11 mm tread)

The Nokians were purchesed from www.mytyres.co.uk but unfortunately they do not have any supplies of Nokian tyres just now. (I checked yesterday)

One of the main Importers of Nokian tyres (Taken from the Nokian web site) is:- Nordic Tyres (UK) Ltd, Unit 2, Sydney Place, Lockerbie, DG11 2JA, Dumfries. Tel:- 01576 203020.

When I purshesed the tyres they cost £102.50 each, which included Vat and delivery.
I will be looking to replace these tyres with another set of Nokians before October 2007. Very satisfied with them.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote