Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oddly, my factory Bi-fuel still burns Petrol

Views : 7109

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 00:30   #11
Pete_c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
That is a simple enough way to check for an injector leak but I think the problem could be something else.

Before going to the hassle of fitting a solenoid pull the fuel pump fuse to see if it runs OK on LPG/CNG that way. You might find that the alternative fuel system is set to have a trickle of petrol going through.
Dai, if that's the case you'd see the signals firing the injectors? Or would the trickle of fuel come from somewhere else? Pardon my ignorance here, this is not a side of things I've delved into before.

Last edited by Pete_c20; Jul 2nd, 2013 at 00:37.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 01:07   #12
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Pull the rail up and switch the ignition on. Let the system prime and you'll see if you are leaking fuel from the injectors. 3 of the 5 on mine are weeping.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 01:10   #13
Pete_c20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Pull the rail up and switch the ignition on. Let the system prime and you'll see if you are leaking fuel from the injectors. 3 of the 5 on mine are weeping.
Now there's a level headed suggestion! Thanks for that monkeh, sounds like just the thing and easier too.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:20   #14
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Digging around thsi guy has a similiar issue:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156686

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 2nd, 2013 at 10:36.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:22   #15
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Sounds like we're on the right track here

Sounds like we're on the right track here. Never pulled a rail, but doesn't sound hard. The fault costs me £150 a year.

My worry, I've just looked on ebay and petrol injectors are £60-70 a go and if its likely we've all got as monkeh says...

Quote:
3 of the 5 on mine are weeping.
we're almost better to live with it. For me it'll take 2 years to pay for itself, excluding the hassle.

But 1 x nozzles only are £19 each.

But I am curious. I'll try it this weekend if I can. If I have 1 x injector weeping, and I can pick up a used set of 5 for near nowt (one or two are likely to weep too) it is worth doing.

I like Dai's suggestion to pull the pump fuse to see what it does, but if cooling is required, this could be risky. It could feck it right up. I'm persisted off, I liked my £15.00 shut off valve idea.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 2nd, 2013 at 10:28.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:34   #16
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I have to look out for a set pretty sharp, Im sure that the leaky injectors are causing a poor start after being sat for a few hours. If the car isnt started for a few days, it fires right up.
Ebay sellers know what they are doing by pricing up injectors that high.

If Anyone has an 850 T5, I have a set of injectors that I bought by mistake. They overfuel my NA and arent suitable for it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:52   #17
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default More digging....

Seems we all have an injector problem...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=49683
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 12:14   #18
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Monkeh: Can I ask what are you're running. Reason I ask is I'm trying to work out waht I should be buying, I run a 1999 V70 Bifuel, do you know which injectors I should be looking at. If I buy used, are the turbo modles running the same part?

I could strip it down to see, but don't want to do that unless I have a repalcemtn set to hand.

There is an argument for gettting your existing set cleaned it seems.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 14:53   #19
TomW

Reading more of this thread, I am now wondering if Volvo designed the Bi-fuels to run on a trickle of petrol. Would volvo know the answer to this question if asked? I somehow manage to use 3 or 4 gallons a month of petrol.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 18:35   #20
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Monkeh: Can I ask what are you're running. Reason I ask is I'm trying to work out waht I should be buying, I run a 1999 V70 Bifuel, do you know which injectors I should be looking at. If I buy used, are the turbo modles running the same part?

I could strip it down to see, but don't want to do that unless I have a replacement set to hand.

There is an argument for getting your existing set cleaned it seems.
I have a 1998 v70 2.4 non turbo with LPG. I have tried to clean them, actually removing them and using a low current 12v supply to switch the injectors, I ran carb and injector cleaner through them, still no different, Even backflushing them, So I guess I need new injectors. I bought some off a forum member when I thought all I needed was 'Orange injectors' thinking they were a fixed flow rate...
The t5 injectors I put on supply more fuel at higher revs and it bogged the car down and lost power. So the leaky injectors are back on and the performance is better, Albeit Im having to top the petrol up every so often.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post: