Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are factory BiFuels less grunty on Gas? Mine is by a lot...

Views : 1178

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 01:03   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Are factory BiFuels less grunty on Gas? Mine is by a lot...

OK, I'll level, as my moniker I run CNG. Great as it is and me being long past the boy-racer stage it doesn't worry me too much, but my factory Bifuel has less grunt on gas as compared with petrol.

Yes I know, I've read the spec sheets and this is to be expected. A stock V70 runs to 140bhp (on petrol) and about 135bhp on CNG or LPG, but I'm running CNG, and I'm sure I'd not notice if I took a hit of 5bhp, but I see a marked difference. I'm sure it is more.

Forget the spec, in practice, do your LPG factory cars suffer the same hit? I understand an LPG or CNG powered car is theoretically more grunty, but needs 13:1 or 14:1 compression ratios and valve/ignition timings no petrol engine could ever run on. So any gas powered engine is hobbled by the compromise if it is also required to run petrol, which is why we see a hit. LPG is higher in octane and CNG higher still. Agreed the ECU shunts forward rteh ignition timing but can't do anything about the 14:1 CNG likes.

So, do your LPG factory cars suffer the same hit?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 11th, 2013 at 01:14.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:04   #2
reggit
Premier Member

I can't tell the difference - performance wise - between running on petrol and LPG.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 00:38   #3
Pete_c20

I have an S40 1.8 2002 Factory BiFuel. The car always has had a little more power on petrol than gas. Although 99.9% of my mileage is on LPG I see this on the odd occasion when I run out of petrol and don't notice, until I pull away from somewhere and its slightly smoother power delivery and a little extra power on petrol is noticeable.

On some of the conversion accounts I've read, especially if it was a conversion of something more unusual where they're working from scratch, they've mentioned that the power delivery was virtually the same and that they'd worked it to be so. So I'm not sure what the difference is down to without going into it.

However it has more torque at very low revs on LPG than it does petrol. But the 'I'm happy up to this point' red line comes earlier on LPG than it does petrol.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 13:47   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Mine has a slight misfire idling on gas, but doesn't drive any different to gas or petrol

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 19:43   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Mine runs slightly smoother on gas at all revs. It must purely be the extra hobbling CNG has to suffer when running Bifuel. LPG is nearer to the running characteritics of petrol than CNG (... I'm told).

I'll live. Thanks all.
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 12:37   #6
Pete_c20

Default Vadis BS5244SG2 Engine power / torque graphs for LPG

In Vadis (mine's 2004 edition, and I can't view it properly as it doesn't install properly) there's a power/torque graph for the B5244SG2 engine which I believe is the V70 2.4 20v bifuel. It has a side by side comparison of Petrol & LPG. Search for n2000340.gif on the CD. There's not much between the two from that.

Some of the differences we see here could be down to individual setups and/or problems with the cars.
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 08:57   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes mine is the B5244SG 2.5, same engine as you fellas with LPG. I think the difference is more pronounced running CNG rather than LPG, but I'll not cry too much.

I've just answered my own question, see attached. The CNG takes a hit not in total grunt but in 'talks' see attached.
It needs higher compression than LPG so is furhter hobbled over LPG by the Bifuel requirement
Attached Images
File Type: png Higher Comp needed.png (150.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 19th, 2013 at 09:17.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 08:10   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

My S60 has more grunt on petrol than LPG. The engine does run smoother too. I have a BRC system on mine.

TT
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:37   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes to be clear, if you look as I did just at peak power, there's littel or no real hit. It is lower down in torqs (sic) that we see the hit.