Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Cross Country

Views : 3727

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2015, 16:20   #1
kevinfourlegs

Default V40 Cross Country

Has anybody bought a the V40 Cross Country?

I am looking at getting one as my next car. Currently I have a Scenic Dynamique Tom Tom, which is on motability. I would like another Volvo and as the V40 XC has a raised ride height, it flicks my switch. Unfortunately the standard V40 is too low for me, or I would have had one instead of the Scenic. I do like Renaults as well as Volvos.

If anybody has a V40 XC, I would like to know what they think of it. I haven't had a drive in the V40 XC as yet, but knowing how well Volvos drive, I can't see the test drive as a problem.
kevinfourlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 17:47   #2
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfourlegs View Post
Has anybody bought a the V40 Cross Country?

I am looking at getting one as my next car. Currently I have a Scenic Dynamique Tom Tom, which is on motability. I would like another Volvo and as the V40 XC has a raised ride height, it flicks my switch. Unfortunately the standard V40 is too low for me, or I would have had one instead of the Scenic. I do like Renaults as well as Volvos.

If anybody has a V40 XC, I would like to know what they think of it. I haven't had a drive in the V40 XC as yet, but knowing how well Volvos drive, I can't see the test drive as a problem.
My wife is collecting her V40 XC D4 next Wednesday. Had a test drive of a D2 and found it to be a very comfortable car albeit slightly lacking in grunt. Rear visibility isn't great either but you can specify a reversing camera. Seats are Volvo seats so enough said!

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 18:56   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
My wife is collecting her V40 XC D4 next Wednesday. Had a test drive of a D2 and found it to be a very comfortable car albeit slightly lacking in grunt. Rear visibility isn't great either but you can specify a reversing camera. Seats are Volvo seats so enough said!
If you have the full glass roof , it helps with rear visability , you can see the walls extending up a lot easier . Also with this roof you can see how the car resembles a V70 with the roof chopped down about a foot ! . The car is not very roomy inside at all .
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:13   #4
anton differing

I am new to Volvo, having run an Opel Astra Caravan for 20 years and 346,000Km. I found myself faced with a bewildering choice, mainly from the VW Group. But I ended up with a V40CC D3. Why? Because Volvo offered a particularly good deal and the car was comfortable and nice to drive.

Why a CC? Most cars these days don't have proper bumpers (a big loss), but the CC has something approaching them, with its ABS panels. The idea of the higher ride height with more visibility and more comfort also appealed.

What do I think of it? It's taken me a while to get used to it, but I have to admit that it is very comfortable and nice to drive. As a really old guy, sporting attributes are of no interest to me (I never had the driving skills to exploit them anyway), I'm all for comfort and refinement, and the V40 meets those requirements. I'd like more boot space, but then most cars aren't so good in that regard these days (the Astra was a sort of automotive Tardis), and since the family has gone, I don't actually need so much space for only two of us, and the V40 with seats folded fills the bill.

As previously commented, the rear visibility is not the best, but the reversing camera helps overcome this, ditto the nice trick of the mirror dipping in reverse to give a view of where the rear wheel is going.

I also want the car to be reliable and to last. I'd like to think that I've bought my last car. Have I? It's too new to make any judgement on that score, but it seems well built. We'll just have to see how we go.

Aesthetics play no part in my choices, but I must confess that it looks a handsome beast, and it's so different that it's easy to spot in the supermarket car park. It looks particularly striking with its summer alloy wheels. Roll on Easter...

Last edited by anton differing; Jan 19th, 2015 at 12:18.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anton differing For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 18:04   #5
Docs

Hi guys, just popped over from the XC60 forum.
We had Mrs D's C30 in for a service on Wednesday and the dealer/owner who knew we were coming in "conveniently" had gleaming V40CC Ocean Race sitting in showroom. It was Crystal White metallic which under the lights looked amazing. It had upgraded "17 diamond cut alloys, reversing camera and various other bits and bobs as standard.
As it sits that bit higher my wife was very taken by it, she's been suffering with a dodgy back for a while, so she finds the C30 which is a R-Design a bit of a chore to get in and out of to say the least, bucket seats don't help.
She's more than welcome to my XC60 but she finds it a bit awkward for parking at work, not that I would mind my pride and joy sitting in a hospital carpark .😂

Back to the CC, I was just wondering what you guys think of them ?
It's a D2 manual which is the same as her C30 which has just turned 3yrs it's the older version less efficient, higher co2 road tax ect.
We hadn't intended to change yet but he's offering me a pretty good deal so any thoughts.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 11:24   #6
V40CC

I love my XC D2.
Best day to day cruiser I have had, and I have had a few.
V40CC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40CC For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 21:12   #7
kevinfourlegs

I have just been on the Volvo UK website looking at owner reviews. There are some motability customers that have said that getting in and out of is awkward. One guy said that he can't get his elbow crutch in the boot. I use two elbow crutches. Also getting in and out can be an issue, which was mentioned by some who got the V40 XC on motability. Not good.

Some have complained about not having sat nav as standard. Others about the poor rear visibility and not having reversing sensors as standard.

Tomorrow I am going to the Volvo dealer to have a look at the V40. I hope that I can get in and out easily, as I have set my heart on the V40 XC.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 22:07   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I have just been on the Volvo UK website looking at owner reviews. There are some motability customers that have said that getting in and out of is awkward. One guy said that he can't get his elbow crutch in the boot. I use two elbow crutches. Also getting in and out can be an issue, which was mentioned by some who got the V40 XC on motability. Not good.

Some have complained about not having sat nav as standard. Others about the poor rear visibility and not having reversing sensors as standard.

Tomorrow I am going to the Volvo dealer to have a look at the V40. I hope that I can get in and out easily, as I have set my heart on the V40 XC.
I find the V40 the smallest car inside that volvo have ever made .. the screen pillars are too low and the angle too shallow . The rear is claustrophobic the roof is too low and reversing is very hit and miss ! you cant see much at all and i hate using mirrors when reversing .. If you have the glass roof that helps a great deal .. also with the glass roof it shows up very well how much the roof has been chopped down compared with the V50 for example .. Volvo have certainly started to follow the masses now rather than make a practical car . changing the pollen filter is not easy as i cannot get my shoulders between the dash and seat ...as i can in every other volvo .
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 22:25   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:

Not much idea of the difference about access with V40CC over and above standard V40, although as an able person, getting in and out is a bit of a duck and dive affair in standard V40.

Being a passenger in the rear, ones head hits the roof, and one feels a bit hemmed in. Getting into the back - and out again, is not like getting out of a car say like a Mondeo, again it is a bit of a duck and dive affair, although worse than getting in the front. It is certainly a 4 seater not a 5 seater in reality.

The car is very coupe like, not really hatchback like. For a hatchback best get a Golf.

Rear visibilty is (imo) ok through the rear view mirror, although thick pillars do limit vision somewhat when glancing round.

IMO, V40 is certainly not a family car as advertised, more so a ''coupe that is more practical than a coupe''. Possibly one of the reasons sales are slow, is that it is 'not the best coupe' nor is it the best 'family hatchback'. Trying to be both and failing on both counts.

Not slagging the V40 off, we have one. It is lovely in many respects.Just that if it was our only car we would have bought a Golf.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 15:23   #10
kevinfourlegs

I have been to Volvo and had a poke around. The boot is big enough and it will take a folding mobility scooter easily enough. Also I can put both my elbow crutches in the boot easy enough as well.

Unfortunately getting in and out is not ideal for someone full of arthritis like me. Once in the car, it's ok. It feels like a quality car. But the entry and exit are awkward for me. I gradually worsen as time progresses and what is suitable now, may not be suitable in three years time.

I do like the car, but I don't think it will be suitable for me. I'm feeling a bit down now. I shouldn't have set my heart on it, but I do like my Volvos. I have owned more Volvos than any other make of car.