Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 GLT injection Auto (London)

Views : 6993

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2016, 23:20   #11
diana123

By the way, to the person who sent me a pm, I tried to pm you back, but it said I wasn't allowed to post in the administrators forum- but anyway, I've answered your question in my last post.

Thanks everyone!
diana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 00:09   #12
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Am Edmonton based.

Yes, there is a minimum posting before you can do the PM thing.

I'd like to perhaps pop over and see the car if that would be possible?

Here is my number, text is easier if that is ok

Oh, double 7, four, nine too four one three too eight

There is a reason for not putting a contact number in the correct format but I can't recall why, sorry

Cheers

Ken
purplebargeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 21:10   #13
purplebargeken
Premier Member

I popped over this afternoon to have a good look at the car. This was pretty easy as I only live about 30 mins away

I also got to meet Diana and her husband who are lovely people.

The car itself is very much as described, it looks fantastic in white and is in very good condition overall. I was hugely impressed!

The bodywork is very straight with only 3 small areas that would require attention. There are marks on the top of both front wheel arches which have surface rusting. There is also a small bleb under the rear pillar window. None of these should cause any stress and a weekend (at most) would be enough to deal with the minor blemishes.

The car would benefit from a session with a clay bar and a good quality polish and then it really would gleam! Oh, the rear bumper corner (O/S) looks like it would need reattaching properly, or a new clip fitting perhaps.

Everything appears to work on the car, the car has a brand new MOT as of today as well. I think that a tyre would benefit from replacement at some point (I think that was mentioned as an advisory, sorry if incorrect Diana).

The interior of the car is stunning! The headlining is lovely with no sagging or staining. No issues with the seat material. Everything was lovely and solid, no rattles or squeaks. In fact the only things that I could pick up was some slight discolouration on the heater knobs and a slight peeling patch on one of the minor instrument backgrounds (literally a teeny amount). The engine bay was dusty but this would respond very well to a bit of detailing if that was your thing. There is a slight weeping from the rocker cover gasket but no biggie.

The car drove very well indeed, no clunks or anything. There is a great clump of receipts and so on for the car.

Diana spoke about the cars history and how the car had been in the family from new. She has a wonderful emotional attachment for the car and selling it is actually quite difficult for her. I understand that totally.

Diana has another Volvo waiting in the wings (a 740 estate I believe). I have made her aware that both cars would be eligible for insurance under a classic car scheme as she does not do a huge mileage in the car. Hopefully that may save her a few pounds.

With a small amount of work this could be an absolutely stunning car and one that would not look out of place at shows up and down the country. I would have taken some pics but my memory card is looking at me from my computer desk. This is not the first time I have done that. Sigh.

So, if the car is so good then why do I not own it?

Diana is a hard negotiator!

Sadly my car piggy bank could not quite stretch to the figure that Diana wanted.

The asking price is very fair indeed and the car is well worth the money.

So, if you have the asking price cash then go for it.

You will have a car to be proud of.

Diana, I did say that if you sorted the classic insurance, you could get to keep the 440 on a multi-car classic policy

All the very best.

Ken

Last edited by purplebargeken; Sep 12th, 2016 at 22:33.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purplebargeken For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 23:43   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Well done, 'purplebargeken', for once again demonstrating the true value of this forum. A very positive and helpful review - hopefully the car will find a good home with someone on here.

Regards, John.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 09:05   #15
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Thanks John, it was helpful that the car was not very far away at all.

Once fettled it really would be a car worth taking to shows and so on.

I do hope it goes to a good home
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 15:17   #16
dcw
VOC Member

I'd echo John's comments - I'm not in the market for buying more cars at present, but I am a fan of the 400s and always look carefully at what's for sale. This 440 looks good in the photos and Purplebargeken's report is just what both the seller Diana and potential buyers need. Excellent and good luck with the sale!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 19:51   #17
diana123

What a wonderful forum with wonderful members!

I'd like to say a huge thanks to Ken for writing such a detailed review of my car (far more informative than I could have been!), and showing his real appreciation of it. Also for even giving me tips on my insurance! What a star!

(He's almost made me want to just keep it, but I can't!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diana123 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 20:24   #18
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Go on...... you know you really want to
The Following User Says Thank You to purplebargeken For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 20:59   #19
purplebargeken
Premier Member

Any news on the car Diana?
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 22:36   #20
diana123

I'm directing someone to your write-up as we speak Ken!