Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Worst Section of Motorway for Idiot Drivers?

Views : 3372

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2016, 14:04   #11
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I do most of my driving at night so traffic is a lot lighter, but it still amazes me how many people on an otherwise empty motorway feel the need to drive so close behind the truck that they are hiding from my mirrors until they eventually overtake and pull back in so soon I can't even see their rear number plate - there's two empty lanes available for goodness sake!
Numptyness on Motorways seems universal but some junctions don't help with their bad design, cars need to move across a lot of lanes in a short distance or the exits and signs are confusing, often this is at junctions where motorways merge or split.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 20:04   #12
skye740
VOC Member

Only encountering a motorway maybe 3 times a year on epic trips away, (given the nearest one is over 200mile away and closest dual over 100) and so not being in the position to have a particular stretch of M with numpties on it, it seems to me that anywhere with more than 3 lanes is full of them, from middle and fast lane hoggers, to folk who leave pulling off at a junction to the last second I could go on.
I am travelling to the far south at the end of this week and I can almost guarantee that I will fall out with somebody at least 10 times on this journey down, primarily due to them sitting, blindingly ignorantly in the middle lane, that is generally the one thing that makes my blood the most, it'll probably start from about M6 Lancaster/Preston onwards, generally where traffic density increases I feel. Then I (it) improve(s)by the time I get back on after a stop at the services on M6(toll).

😡 The joys of motoring.
VOC 23035
skye740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 00:56   #13
Robert2
VOC Member

I swear that people don't know how to use lanes any more. I use the motorways a lot, and while lane 1 is mostly empty, with vehicles toddling along at 50-55, Lane 2, or middle lane has a few cars wanting to overtake those in Lane 1, albeit at a speed of 1-2mph faster, then refuse to pull into Lane 1 when they pass. This act must seem too degrading for them.

This leaves the other 70% of traffic tucked into lane 3, including those who are still determined to travel 1-5 mph faster than lane 2, but refuse to pull into any gap in the inside lane.

Gong back 35 years, they used to have public information films. You'll remember the ones. There was one about the Coastguard, one about Green Cross Code and one about driving in middle lane only. It used to label them a Road Hog, and certainly got the message across.

So, in the absence of pure common sense, is it not time to bring back these 'idiot guides' to teach people the etiquette of lane craft...

I do have another gripe on lane craft, I call it Lane Clipping, where drivers forget about sticking to a lane, even if its not marked on the road, and cross into your lane, albeit very slightly, most effectively demonstrated at roundabouts, but don't get me started on that one!!
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 10:23   #14
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Every time I pop over to UK, its like 'mayhem' on the roads compared to over here. Drives me potty!
Though as France is 3 (ish) times larger than UK with a very similar population, its no surprise that the roads here are quieter.
That said, roundabouts! The French don't get them. a 4 laner if they are going to take say 4th or 5th exit, they will just 'sail' round in the 'outer' lane, no idicators until JUST before their intended exit, effectively blocking your 'off' just when you want it. Then look 'gone out' if you give 'em a 'parp', LOL.
This goe's for small rural roundabouts or major ones in big cities.

This one in Nantes is known by 'us brits' as 'DEATH ROUNDABOUT', lol. Rarely go round it without seeing a recent prang or many 'near misses'.

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/N16....6204233?hl=en
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 11:02   #15
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

ost drivers dont give a monkeys any more, its all about getting past everyone else who is in my way. Motorways, country lanes, in town, suburban housing, doesnt matter where they are, people are on their phones, cutting corners, parking slopily taking the space of 2 cars, I could go on but some %%%% has just cut me up and made me park on this zebra crossing where the bl00dy ell am i sposed to park then ill only be a few mins whilt i get me fags
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 11:13   #16
Munro83

Ha give me a motorway every time over my local roads- A98 & A96. These roads have a higher ratio of crashes/deaths to traffic volume than a motorway.
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 13:50   #17
e123

As DaveNP refers, there's more and more returning to lane 2 or 1 immediately after (and occasionally before) their rear end has passed your front. Braking distance, what's that?
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e123 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 21:03   #18
The Landshark

Try the M50 in dublin some time, 4 hours of snarl up in the morning and another four hours of it in the evening. Mostly caused by people jumping the queue for exits. Some of the road engineering here is frightening but not as bad as the standard of driving. There are still a large number of drivers on the road who have never passed a test.
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 22:44   #19
bobsy852

M60 Jct 25 anti-clockwise...where the traffic merging onto the motorway merges into the FAST LANE! Not the slow lane:
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobsy852 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 23:05   #20
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
M60 Jct 25 anti-clockwise...where the traffic merging onto the motorway merges into the FAST LANE! Not the slow lane:
I don't think legally in the UK according to the highway code there is such a thing as the fast lane !

Try the A55 in North Wales; outside lane hogging seems to have become an art form/ status statement there by anyone with a new cheap slow car.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post: