Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New DPF blocked after 1000 miles

Views : 3460

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2018, 14:53   #1
rjack

Default New DPF blocked after 1000 miles

Hello everyone,

Here's the problem I experience. The car is a 2010 C30 1.6D.

After fitting a new DPF (the old one was toasted), it keeps blocking after only 1000miles of highway use (never use the car for in-town driving, minimal driving time is 20min).

Car goes in limp mode, displays "engine repair required". On VIDA, I have no other fault codes that "Particulate filter blocked".

I execute a forced regeneration, the car drives like it should again, and 1000 miles later, here we go again... DPF blocked.

What I've tried so far:
- Verify the ADM module/Eolys tank/fluid level. Everything seems ok, and communicating like it should. No error codes on VIDA.
- Replace DPF pressure sensor, hoses, and DPF temperature sensor. The readings of VIDA are correct (3-4Hpa on idle, 300°C after warmup).
- Replace EGR valve.
- One injector was leaking. Replaced it.
- Reflashed the ECU with Volvo dealer.

I must mention that on startup, there is a strong diesel smell coming from the engine bay. Once it has reached operating temperature, the smell seems to go away.

This problem is driving me nuts. I assume that something either is blocking the DPF too fast (too much soot particles coming from something not operating the way it should) ; or the regeneration cannot be achieved during normal driving (what are the required conditions by the ECM?).

What's you guess on this?

Cheers!
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 19:20   #2
phutyle

Did you reset the Odometer Particle Trap in Vida after replacing the DPF?

phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 15:35   #3
rjack

Yes if I remember well this was reset when we replaced the DPF. I dont have any reminder on Vida in any case.

Does it have any influence on the operation of the DPF anyway?
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 19:51   #4
john850kershaw

Hi i would make extra sure that you don't have any air leaks on the induction side as this will cause lean running causing more soot build up and block the DPF, if you do have VIDA and DICE see if you can watch the DPF temp, you could monitor this when driving.
john850kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 17:41   #5
rjack

Well your guess on leaks could be right: the DPF is once again blocked, in less than 100 miles this Time...

Where should I look first?
The diesel fumes now reach into the cabin and the smell is overwhelming... the back of the engine plastic cover on the turbo side is also vert dirty with diesel particles

Last edited by rjack; Oct 22nd, 2018 at 18:14.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 19:36   #6
Bungo
Premier Member

Check inside throttle body and turbo pipe for excessive oil.
Sounds like stuff getting into the dpf rather than dpf or settings. First idea would be turbo related or possibly PCV.

Last edited by Bungo; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 19:50.
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 13:00   #7
rjack

Ok so here's some news:

Apparently a clamp connecting the DPF to the turbo could be at fault. It seems to be a well-known problem on this engine fitted to Peugeots and Fords, and could cause the problems I experience.

Here's pictures of the top of my turbo: the black areas seems to be soot.

What's your guess on this?
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 13:48   #8
Bungo
Premier Member

You say common fault but I don't recall seeing this on this site.
If it is just the clamp then seems an easy and fairly cheap thing to fix.
It seems to me that somewhere the intake system is taking in too much contaminant, either oil or possibly fuel.
Given you have replaced EGR my money would be on Turbo seals or overfueling. You could do with an exhaust analysis to narrow this down.
A very common problem is an over fill of engine oil.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 18:13   #9
rjack

Here's some updates:
- Clamp is perfectly tight. Not at fault then. Same for pressure hoses and temp sensor on the DPF.
- No excessive oil/soot in intake pipes.

The only fault I found is a crack in the turbo inlet hose (post-MAF, so unmetered air is sucked in). This is the part:

A new one has been ordered, but in the meantime, could this be the reason of the DPF blocking? I assume the engine is running lean because of this.

The strong smell of diesel is precisely located in this area. I can also see very light fumes escaping when accelerating.
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 12:00   #10
jimbo1593
Master Member

Is the DPF really blocked after only 100miles?

I had a split intake, in between those two clips to the right of your picture, it was like this for ages and didn't cause much issue.

Is this not just a dodgy code being thrown up?
You seem to have done all the usual stuff. Have you taken the DPF off to check that it is blocked? You have already replaced the pressure piping that can lead to erroneous codes, I understand the pressure sensor itself can also be at fault giving wrong pressure readings looking like a blocked DPF.

https://talkford.com/community/uploa...1300618184.jpg

good luck
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post: