Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seeking fedback on Manual D5 (MY07 preferably)

Views : 918

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 21:05   #1
Grant Smith

Default Seeking fedback on Manual D5 (MY07 preferably)

I'm looking to get an XC90 D5 SE due to family commitments although I do like to 'drive' a car and hence would prefer a manual and hear at least in low gears the auto's are a little suspect. Manuals seem very rare and I've not managed to get a test drive in one, although I have driven a geartronic. Does anyone have any feedback on using a manual over the massivily more popular auto, especially relating to the gearbox operation. Having being a BMW driver I'm used to 'nice' gearboxes and don't fancy getting a long stalked mushy gearbox as some 4x4's are!

Thanks

Grant
Grant Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 22:38   #2
bircham

Obviously you need to drive a car before you buy one (I was lucky in that my local dealer had a manual car in at the time I was buying), but I find my manual car a great car to drive. It is so muuch more responsive than the geartronic model and with the type of driving I do this is important. It is definitely not a long shift, being very slick and smooth for all changes.I had 2 auto (tiptronic then multitronic) Audi A6's and don't regret changing back to manual at all.
It is great for pulling away at junctions, maximising the engine's power and my wife says that is impossible to tell when the driver changes gear.
Oh yes - they are also tax band F not band G for the geartronics!

Whatever you decide try to get a drive in a manual (you should be able to find a dealer somewhere that has one) and it will help you make up your mind.

Hope this helps,
Jon
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 21:00   #3
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Hello Grant,
I also have a D5 manual and was initially slightly concerned about the foot operated parking brake. However even with some of the challenging hills in Plymouth and Austria - it's never been a problem. My wife was also a little more than nervous about it - but after a few days it's second nature for the few occasions when you may actually need to do a hill start.

The standing start performance I also agree is a lot more predictable and controllable than the early geartronics - and the engine is so 'torquey' even round town you'd probably only use the middle 3 gears anyway. Economy depending on use varies from mid 30's locally to 40+ on point to point motorway trips. Last year I saw and average 42mpg from Oxford to somwhere in France before refuelling and that was with 6 on board and a roof box.
With some economical use of gears - there's no need to use all of them all the way up and all the way down - it's easy to drive as smoothly as the auto and still feel like you're in charge.
If your local to Oxford area - and your struggling for a demo - give me a shout.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 13:32   #4
Patrick lince

I would also be very interested to hear the views of owners of manual XC90's as I would prefer a manual, the VEL will be cheaper and the MPG for the D5 is slightly better also.

The overwhelming majority of owners choose the geartronic and my local garage had sold me on the idea based on "that's what everyone has so best stick to geartronic" arguement, so if you have a manual, or have tested one...let us know your views!
Patrick lince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 21:59   #5
patl

Default Tax Band !!

Hi Guys,

My D5 geartronic is tax band F ... not G as mentioned in these posts.

Regards,
Patrick.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 22:07   #6
Grant Smith

Well I got to drive a manual today and I liked it. The gearbox isn't quite as tight as my BMW 3 series but then the XC90 is a SUV after all! It was much nicer to be able to control the engine with more precision and I will definitely be going for a manual. The (slight) turbo lag was noticable to start with pulling away in 1st but once I was ready for it, a few hundred more revs at take-off soon cured it and it really leapt of the mark!

I got to try an SE Sport Geartronic immediately afterwards and that with a manual will be apotent combination (more comments on another thread)

Ian - Many thanks for the offer of a test in yours, fortunately a dealer nearby got one in so saved me a trip up to you!

Patrick - The group F/G split is dependant on the age of your car, if it was registered pred Mar 06 I believe it can't be higher than a F but if you buy a D5 Geartronic new now it will be a G
Grant Smith is offline   Reply With Quote