Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has anyone driven a SE Sport yet?

Views : 1511

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 23:05   #1
Grant Smith

Default Has anyone driven a SE Sport yet?

I like the idea of an XC90 with the siffer suspension and handling tweaks and wondered if any had tried out or owns a SE Sport they could comment on yet please? £4k+ extra is quite a hike but the handling and trim m just be worth it....

Thanks

Grant
Grant Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 17:40   #2
BasilSpinone

Ours has been on order since January and its due in May.

its much more of a car like ride than the standard setup and much better in the corners. I found the seats more bucket like and much more comfortable and prefer them to the standard seats we have in our 05 model.

The V8 sport is Truly Outstanding!! It scared the missus so much she wouldn't drive it But I couldn't knock the dealer down sufficiently for it to be worth buying at the moment (especially when you consider its residuals in the first year are horrendous when compared to the D5). So the plan is to let the missus have the new D5 sport and for me to take her xc70 for a while, then trade it in for a used XC90 v8 Sport for myself
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 22:11   #3
Grant Smith

I was lucky enugh to try a D5 Sport today too and loved it. Unfortunately it was a geartronic (I'll be going manual) but the ride was great, corners were so much more stable and the seats felt 'right' when I sat 'in' them rather than 'on' the standard ones. The frilly bits like the good external looks and fancy dials just added to the appeal but it was the handling that one me over. Don't get me wrong, it's still a SUV and doesn't go around corners like a sports car but it's a big improvement. The only thing I noticed was the bumps in the road were more noticable, not such a smooth ride but then that's always the price for stiffer springs.

My verdict, if you like driving you'll love the Sport but if you just want to get from A to B in comfort stick to the standard SE.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 20:46   #4
timclifford
tim

Default Sport

I drove one on a short demo in January and it was great. The route did not include twisty roads but the "body roll" was almost non existent and as a result the steering felt sharper.
We bought a second hand SE - if there had been a second hand Sport I would have been tempted.
Whether it is worth the extra really depends on your style of driving and your priorities
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 16:31   #5
bluesnappa

Have had one since Christmas and really enjoyed it. It is geartronic and I like that, was very unsure before I got it as I had always had manual but I don't think I'll go back to manual after this one. It handles well and goes quickly with plenty of punch when I need it. The V8 and 3.2 were both tried and rejected for the fuel economy, however if I was a lottery winner I would look at the 3.2 again...The V8 that I was able to road test for half a day was fantastic but toooo thirsty for me to fuel up every day. The seats in the sports are worth it as I felt the 3.2 with normal seats were a bit to slippy for me. The sport ones give plenty of support and are comfortable. The wheels on the beast look the part as well. Enjoy choosing and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Here it is: http://www.mark-fuller.co.uk/volvo_page_1.html

Last edited by bluesnappa; Apr 5th, 2007 at 16:35.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 21:26   #6
Grant Smith

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, it's always good to hear from someone who's driven something for more than a test drive like I've had. I love your photo's of the Volvo, you know how to make it look fantastic! How do you find the Black to keep clean? I'd discounted Black in favour of Titanium Grey as I usually Black can be a pain to keep looking nice?

Cheers

Grant
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:42   #7
BFC001

Default Titanium Grey

I have an 07 Titanium Grey and although preferring black decided against it because they tend to show every mark and all the dirt.

Very pleased with Titanium Grey, as although I don't clean that often, it still looks great.
BFC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:34   #8
bluesnappa

Smile

I Wash it! It is my new car and cost a lot so it is worth putting the hose over it and a quick chamois every two or three days...the alloys need washing to keep them sparkling and I don't see it as a hardship...hell I work for it and it turns heads!
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:35   #9
davotoula

Nice photos!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 22:01   #10
cx04yww

Smile D5 sport

Just driven a D5 sport this week for the first time whilst my 55 plate D5 163 bhp car was in for a service. Apart from the bling looks (white piping on the black leather seats, chrom tails pipes etc) it drives great and felt much more powerful than mine. Still a bit of a flat sopt when you slow down at a junction and then put your foot down to pull away. It is a diesel after all though. Seats felt much more supportive but would probably be happy with standard SE with new 185 bhp engine. I didnt think the cornering was that much better than mine just the seats kept your bum on the seat better.
cx04yww is offline   Reply With Quote