Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running Boards - black stick on pieces

Views : 1054

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2009, 16:25   #1
lordlichfield

Default Running Boards - black stick on pieces

Having had the running boards fitted last week I'm now contemplating getting the black stick-on pads as well but exactly where do you fit them? It doesn't look like there are any guide marks on the running boards themselves so do you just place them where you think they will be stepped on the most? And how sticky are they? Will I need to wait for a really mild day before applying them?
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 09:07   #2
clam

The black stick on bits come with instructions giving measurements from the ends of the running boards (actualy the join between the bracket and the straight length).

But I guess it's up to you really where they go, I may not follow the guidline for the rear ones as the kids step in a completely different place to get into the 3rd row than say an adult getting into the 2nd row. As most of the useage on mine will be for the kids then some dry runs may be in order to get the best location.

There are some quidelines on the actual sticking too, I think it says apply at +15 deg C..... so that'll be one day in July when they can be done :-) No getting wet for 2 hours after etc. etc.

Last edited by clam; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 09:09.
clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 12:23   #3
chf

As Clam said. The rubber steps are backed with some pretty sticky tape, so you better get it right the first time as you won't be able to reposition them.

Instructions are quite comprehensive but definitely ignore the rear positioning if you have kids.

I fitted them about 10 days ago during a dry day but nowhere close to 15 degree C ....
chf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 09:16   #4
lordlichfield

Thanks both - I'm now wondering whether it might be worthwhile getting a custom anti-slip pad made up that runs the full length of the running board. That way there won't be any issues with where people get on and off. I might pop along to B&Q or Wickes and see if they have such a thing that could be cut to size.
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 14:46   #5
chf

The orignal from volvo have a profile to perfectly fit the running board grooves. I doubt you'll find this in B&Q. Try to position them at the rear before peeling back the sticky tape protection and ask the kids to go in and out to check where they step on the running boards and then fit them. Never had any complaints from them that the rubber steps should have been longer.
chf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 18:42   #6
burningoil

Default running boards

Hello, can someone explain to me advantages of the running boards> Our car is probably en route from Sweden so it would need to be a dealer fit option. Any idea what costs would be (incl. fitting). We will have our young kids in the back of the car next yr when car arrives (new born, 2 and 4 yr old)
Thanks
burningoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 22:25   #7
dj898

since you have kids - imagine you trying to have your 4 years climb aboard XC90/XC60 or how about getting him/her off by himself/herself?
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:50   #8
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningoil View Post
Hello, can someone explain to me advantages of the running boards> Our car is probably en route from Sweden so it would need to be a dealer fit option. Any idea what costs would be (incl. fitting). We will have our young kids in the back of the car next yr when car arrives (new born, 2 and 4 yr old)
Thanks
It makes life much easier for our 3 and 4yr old children to get in and out. It is also easier to reach up to the roof if you want to use roofbars etc. One last advantage is that it will stop people smacking their doors against your paintwork as they will hit the running bar first.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 09:05   #9
adonis kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningoil View Post
Thanks
If you are capapble Nottingham Volvo sell running boards on ebay for £320 which is about half price compared to dealer fitted. Also if you phone them i believe you get an additional £20 off. I fitted a pair in under 1 hour with ease. Hope this helps
adonis kebab is offline   Reply With Quote