Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dodgy dealers or par for course?

Views : 1528

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:44   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default Dodgy dealers or par for course?

As there is no local Volvo garage in the Welsh capital I recently took my car to the nearest one 40 miles away in Swansea for some warranty work to be done.

The problem was with the reverse parking sensors which constantly emitted the obstacle warning sound whenever reverse was engaged. This problem mainly occurred after a heavy bout of rain.

I dropped the car off at the dealers and picked up my vauxhall corsa courtesy car that came with no fuel in it and freewheeled to the nearest petrol station to put some juice in before tootling off for a few hours awaiting the fix.

After several hours of hearing nowt I rang the garage to be told that they couldn't find any fault codes relating to the reverse sensors and that they couldn't find anything wrong with them but following a workshop bulletin had 'widened the apertures' relating to the sensors which should solve the problem. Needless to say the problem hasn't been resolved and after the weekends rain, the problem remains.

The dealers also said that there was some recall work that needed doing on my car relating to a power steering hose in the engine bay and that 'this had only just come out' coincidentally the day before my car was due in for the work. I asked if this was the recall work that was released 18months ago for the clip to be attached to the hose and after an embarrassed silence they said no and it was a different one.... yeah right... anyway the part wasn't in stock so I will have to take the car back in again for this recall work to be done. One good point is that they cleaned the car 'because their car cleaner wasn't very busy that day' but I'm pretty sure the large scratch on the tailgate wasn't there when I took it in.

The garage also told me that my oil was low and my brake discs were corroded and did I want them to order some in to be replaced. I didn't authorise this as I have a mechanic in the family who does all of that stuff for me anyway. I decided to check the oil myself when I got home and it was at the maximum level! So what the F*** are they playing at?

I have only ever dealt with Audi dealers in the past and they have always been fine and every courtesy car I have had was their own brand not some tinpot Vauxhall.

Is the above experience to be expected at Volvo dealers generally or have I just been unlucky?

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:47.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:56   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

Like every marque some dealers are good, some are bad. You might just have been unlucky with the staff who dealt with you. Which dealer did you go to as then other members will be able to share their experiences with the dealer too.

I'd take it up with both the dealer and Volvo UK, if they'd damaged my car and lied to me which is basically what you're saying happened to you they'd damn well know about my displeasure!
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 14:56   #3
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Like every marque some dealers are good, some are bad. You might just have been unlucky with the staff who dealt with you. Which dealer did you go to as then other members will be able to share their experiences with the dealer too.

I'd take it up with both the dealer and Volvo UK, if they'd damaged my car and lied to me which is basically what you're saying happened to you they'd damn well know about my displeasure!
It was the Swansea dealers and I tried contacting them yesterday but the guys who deal with it only work Mon - Fri.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 17:18   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I've good experience of the dealer at Abereron, and also heard good things from Abergaveny.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 22:58   #5
dj898

sorry to hear your story.
In my case every time I bring in the vehicle for service I got to pick from their demo fleet. First time I picked C3 T5 and when I had XC60 for RSE installed I had S80 V8 for two days.
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:50   #6
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj898 View Post
sorry to hear your story.
In my case every time I bring in the vehicle for service I got to pick from their demo fleet. First time I picked C3 T5 and when I had XC60 for RSE installed I had S80 V8 for two days.
Sounds like a perfect excuse to move to Sydney then!
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 16:38   #7
bircham

Quote:
I have only ever dealt with Audi dealers in the past and they have always been fine and every courtesy car I have had was their own brand not some tinpot Vauxhall.
My previous cars have always been Audis, and I also have an Audi A8 at the moment. (Very thirsty 3.7V8, but lovely to drive)

I have to say that every Audi dealer I have been to has been much better than every Volvo dealer I have been to. Free courtesy cars from Audi, (their insurance, no need to fill up fuel when used, always a new Audi demonstrator) and their test drives were always unaccompanied all-weekend drives that really let you get to know the car. By comparison Volovo have been rubbish. Useless mechanics, jobs only half done, charge for courtesy cars (and get a Mazda2 Have you ever tried to get 2 chidseats and a buggy into one of those?), damage to car when tyres changed etc. I keep regretting that I didn't get a Q7 - that is until I see the ugly beast on the road and realise that the 90 is a much nicer car overall. It's just a pity about our local dealers.

Jon

Jon
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 18:12   #8
DCO

Quote:
Free courtesy cars from Audi, (their insurance, no need to fill up fuel when used, always a new Audi demonstrator) and their test drives were always unaccompanied all-weekend drives that really let you get to know the car. By comparison Volovo have been rubbish. Useless mechanics, jobs only half done, charge for courtesy cars (and get a Mazda2 Have you ever tried to get 2 chidseats and a buggy into one of those?),
Hi all,

Different dealers operate in different ways. Our experience with Volvo started with weekend test drives, one manual, one Geartronic, and we have had other weekend test drives since when looking for a another vehicle. Courtesy cars have always been available given reasonable notice, although if not using your insurance there has been a nominal charge. Always the courtesy car has been a Volvo, and if asked, often a demonstrator. This has been at three dealerships, in the Midlands, South East and South West.

Other times they have collected the vehicle and returned it at no cost.

Regarding quality of servicing, you are relying on human beings! Most times any service work has been satisfactory, with just a couple of very minor issues, such as the steering wheel being offset one spline after a new steering rack fitted (another story!). The only time I had had a real query, was when I was told that the front lower suspension bushes needed replacing, but after various discussions, it turned out that although they had some external very small splits, they were OK for the time being. One year later, they are still OK!
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:35   #9
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

As an update to my original post I think it's only fair to say that the dealers were excellent in acknowledging and rectifying the problems experienced from my initial visit. The parking sensors have been replaced and have so far (touchwood, although we haven't had much rain since it was done) been ok. The scratch was polished out, though the guilt was denied and the car left uncleaned this time.
The parts department there are excellent and Simon is very helpful so no problems there.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 18:36   #10
Forrest Gump

No Volvo dealership in Cardiff caused me problems too. Stratstone Jaguar has taken over the mailing lists from Stratsone Volvo (which has closed). I got tempted to use them by the offer of a free MOT. I had a very unhappy experience there. I got charged Jaguar rates of servicing costs (£115 per hour and still got charged the MOT fee. The bill came to over £1200 for 6year service and replacement of brake pads and shoes. They have now reduced the bill to £920. Needless to say I won't be using them again. Anyone got any better ideas for Volvo service in Cardiff from now on?
Forrest Gump is offline   Reply With Quote