Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shakin' all over

Views : 2350

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 13:38   #1
jaydbass
recent volvo owner

Default Shakin' all over

My N-plate 940 td estate has an interesting characteristic. Starting cold, the engine is fine. Bit smoky perhaps, but fine. However, when the engine is restarted warm it tends to shake quite a bit for a few moments at idle. The car shakes around with it. The revs are kinda reminiscent of a big dog panting (honest) and seem to sit around 500. As i said, after a few moments it settles down. If driven right away, it still seems to take a few minutes to settle as the "panting" is still apparent when sitting at traffic lights etc. I don't know much at all about under bonnet-matters - and had I been able to attend the recent mini-meet I'd hoped for some pointers. I'm wondering if the shaking could be a fuel injection issue, as the car can be quite smoky under acceleration? In saying that, it wasn't driven much for the best part of a year before I bought it (at the end of July) & last weeks Forte treatment seems to have helped a bit with the smoking.
The other thought I had was that the "idler" - which I believe is some kind of belt or pulley tensioner - may need replacing?
Any ideas would be appreciated. Whilst it's a pleasing thought to think of the "big beastie" as a dog happily panting at it's owner's return; it's probably more sensible to safeguard against imminent mechanical failure!
Jay

Last edited by jaydbass; Oct 3rd, 2007 at 13:40. Reason: .
jaydbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 22:36   #2
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

If the idler needs replacing then the Cam belt certainly does, and if either fails they will wreck your engine. Must say I wonder what the bottom of your tank is like if it's been sitting around for a year without use. Try some Millers diesel clean in it for a while.

Roy
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:36   #3
jaydbass
recent volvo owner

Belts were all done last year according to the previous owner. Any way to tell if this is the case?
jaydbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:29   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydbass View Post
Belts were all done last year according to the previous owner. Any way to tell if this is the case?
Not without looking, and it's not easy to get to.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 02:39   #5
jor
VOC 20573

I don't think there should be any reason to disbelieve the previous owner, especially if he owned the car for awhile Jay. If there was something wrong mechanically you'd think it would be a constant problem.
All I can think of doing is to make sure the air and fuel filters are in order. I used have erretic idling at low revs which went after fitting a high flow filter. You've cleaned the injectors. I've not tried Forte but have done it another way - filling the filter with transmission oil (mineral), repeated every so often, as some type of extra lubrication is needed for the pump to compensate for the low sulphur fuel.
The function of the cold start device is to give more fuel as the temp falls, when non functional it just fails to do this, rather than opting to provide extra when it's hot!
Should you get nowhere try a message to Peter Milnes, the register keeper, who may have heard of the problem before.

john
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 18:08   #6
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I don't think there should be any reason to disbelieve the previous owner, especially if he owned the car for awhile Jay. If there was something wrong mechanically you'd think it would be a constant problem.
All I can think of doing is to make sure the air and fuel filters are in order. I used have erretic idling at low revs which went after fitting a high flow filter. You've cleaned the injectors. I've not tried Forte but have done it another way - filling the filter with transmission oil (mineral), repeated every so often, as some type of extra lubrication is needed for the pump to compensate for the low sulphur fuel.
The function of the cold start device is to give more fuel as the temp falls, when non functional it just fails to do this, rather than opting to provide extra when it's hot!
Should you get nowhere try a message to Peter Milnes, the register keeper, who may have heard of the problem before.

john
If your using a good quality fuel (not supermarket) it should have an additive package to compenstate for the reduced sulpher.

I'm more concerned about what happend to the fuel that stayed in the tank for a year. Also if the tank wasn't kept full it would have accumulated a lot of water in it through condensation as diesel has no fumes to keep the air out of the tank like petrol does. Try using Millars diesel clean for a while and see what happens.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 15:03   #7
monkeh
Pain in the backside

The engine is hunting, when it does this have a look at the back of the exhaust, when it 'hunts' a litle puff of smoke should come out, mine does it and after treatment of the shell vpower diesel, its reduced considerably, both belts have been done on my car, so I'm certain its not them.
Apparantly it could be the injectors, mine are due for renewal but until it fails the MOT, ill think ill have to sit and wait till I have funds to get a set of recon's.
Does anyone know how much a set of reconditioned injectors cost now?
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2015, 00:24   #8
irish940d24

See if theirs any smoke when this happens again. If it blows whiteish black smoke on cold start and similar when warm its probably a slight timing issue seeing as the belts were replaced recently the injector pump had to be or maybe wasn't timed or not properly.

If the engine seems to shake continually on idle when warm then take off the crankcase breather hose (top of engine) and cover it with finger for few seconds on idle, if it makes pressure then its likely you've worn/Brocken piston rings. This won't be noticed as much when cold because the rings are tighter, if this Is the case then have a compression test carried out to be sure
irish940d24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 09:53   #9
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I remember sorting the hunting out, I Increased the fuelling by turning that little screw on the side in a tad, increasing the fuelling. Sorted it out.
But now that cars a coke can somewhere...

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 23:54   #10
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish940d24 View Post
See if theirs any smoke when this happens again. If it blows whiteish black smoke on cold start and similar when warm its probably a slight timing issue seeing as the belts were replaced recently the injector pump had to be or maybe wasn't timed or not properly.

If the engine seems to shake continually on idle when warm then take off the crankcase breather hose (top of engine) and cover it with finger for few seconds on idle, if it makes pressure then its likely you've worn/Brocken piston rings. This won't be noticed as much when cold because the rings are tighter, if this Is the case then have a compression test carried out to be sure
This may or may not help but:

Smoke on diesels, if its white, its unburnt diesel, not to be mistaken by steam! If it produces white smoke when the engine is warm. This could point to low compression. Not sure if that could cause hunting or not?

Black smoke is overfuelling. The diesel is being ignited but doesnt have the capacity to fully burn within the combustion chamber.

Blue smoke is burning oil, bad rings, pistons/bores , turbo bearing, valve guides/stem seals

If its hunting, it could be that the idle is set too low. The Americans seem have a fetish for a hunting idle, they call it a "Lope" idle, infact there was a chap on the d24.com forum who purposly setup his 760gle d24 to achieve a similar affect...

https://youtu.be/XleGtdDvxRM

believe these engines are supposed to sit at 750rpm for non turbo d24s and 830rpm for turbo d24s.
I actually just dropped the idle of my 940 tdic from around 900rpm to 600rpm ish, any lower than that and my engine was hunting. It also could be as mentioned above dirty injectors. And dont run it on supermarket crappy fuel! Ha
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote