Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars > T5/R Registers

Notices

T5/R Registers Forum for the T5, T5R and R model registers.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel consumption question t5-r

Views : 4623

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:49   #1
btsuck

Default Fuel consumption question t5-r

I've got an 850 tdi, (winter pack,silver sand metallic) and although not on it's last legs needs a bit spending on it. Starting at the back and working towards the front:
The tow bar is too high and presses into the bumper causing it to rise in the middle.
This may have been due to the fact that the bumper has never seated at teh right height.
4months ago some barsteward used his trailer to pull off the rhs rear bumper, which i kicked back into place and attached a self tapper to the wheel arch lining to hold it on, which was also split/cracked. The bumper now has a permanent flex crease in it. The cu** also grazed/dented the wheel arch.
The tailgate doesn't like staying open so i have to use a special tool (a piece of floor tile) to sandwich between the tailgate and the frame surround.
Rust spots around tailgate opening handle.
No handbrake (but i think will adjust up)
Potential shock absorber change required.
Mirrors. Both held on with a strong glue normally used to hold plasterboards to walls. Works well but you can't move em, although motors do still work.
Car pulls to the right (i live in france so camber other way) and i've already worn the inside edge of the new left hand tyre out, after less than 10,000miles. As soon as i got to off the ferry i noticed it and thought, bolox)
Rust spots on bonnet.
No abs. Had to take the fuse out recently as whenever i braked under 30mph the abs would bang bang bang. Now no speedo or cruise control, but brakes without problem
pock marked windscreen. When the suns low is lethal. It's like someone sandblasted it. Indeed when i bought the car 2yrs ago from PW cars in slough for 1250, and drove it back to france, i opened the air filter box, and found it full of straw. At that time the alternator was making a god awful whining noise, but thankfuly over the months it began to decrease and finally stopped.
The tappets are noisy.
It kicks out loads of smoke under acceleration.
It may need new front shocks too....
It really could do with a new pair of front discs according to the mechanic who i told to be quiet and just fit the pads like i was paying him to.
The bottom plastic cover under the engine was damaged when i got it and held in place with plastic wire clips. I got rid of it.
It leaks oil, about 3 drops in 12 hours (enough to irritate)
Air con doesn't work.
Noisy wipers
Battery rubbish in cold weather but too tight to buy a new one so put on a 30 euro 70 amp i found in a scrap yard. Marginally better.
Intermittant squeeky dashboard
Intermittant sqeeky fan.
Headlight wipers don't work.
One of the fog lights emits only a faint yellow glow.

I think that just about covers it. And now for the good bits. It does 40+ to the gallon.

I am thinking about buying a petrol terbo job. I'l boot it at times, why else would i want one, but when i drive it on A roads at 60, and tootle around and about, what can i expect to get to the gallon.
It's a tough one because i've been on diesel since 1990, starting with a 405 and working up to 6 cylinders 525tds', until i got the 850. It's the quickest diesel i've ever owned.
A further downer is that petrol here is more expensive tan diesel.

Diesel typical supermarket price 1.15€
Petrol .....................................1.30€

(I blame goldman frickin sachs for driving up fuel prices with bernankies free money) but that's another story.

I've seen this on ebay and it's the kind of thing i like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5-R...item4aa791a3ff

I'm sure there's more wrong with my car, but i'm open to offers in the region of 2950, pounds........as the heated seats are absolutely A1 and it's got a little black arial on the roof for a telephone. And the map reading lights work a treat along with the alarm. + it's got little lights in the sun visors so you can check your hair etc.
btsuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:50   #2
btsuck

oh yeah and it needs a new cambelt
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:54   #3
btsuck

and, when i bought it, the cam belt timing was out by a tooth or two and it didn't like to start. The fuel fiter had been (and still is) bypassed. The diesel goes straight from the fuel tank to the pump. This does save money on fuel filters though.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 14:44   #4
Kerry_T-5R
854 T-5R owner

Very funny! I like this bit : "pock marked windscreen. When the suns low is lethal. It's like someone sandblasted it" lol

Volvo 850 T-5R manual (Olive) B5234T5 : 305 bhp & a 14.5 sec 1/4 mile @ 101 mph & Volvo S40 1.9D S 2004 Daily driver
Ex-Volvo: B4194-T2 (S40 T4).

Last edited by Kerry_T-5R; Jan 7th, 2011 at 14:51.
Kerry_T-5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 19:57   #5
DSK
C70 T5

This should be what you are after;

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/14158-t...ners-your-mpg/

I think after such a long time of you being used a diesel, the difference in economy may be a shock to you however, if you are generally looking to take it easy and cruise around then you should be OK.

Just also remember, these car are old, many may seem good but to ensure optimum fuel economy is extracted from them you need to ensure all the following stuff is done in addition to the engine itself being in good working order;

02 Sensors
MAF Sensor
Fuel Injectors
Ensure the boost hoses are all good
Replace the TCV/BCS
Reset/renew the actuator
Good thorough service

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 18:15   #6
btsuck

ha ha Kerry, funny you should post as i actualy spent an evening reading the complete thread on your rebuild. Reading it from start to finish in one go is quicker than doing it real time and makes the job seem suitably impressive. I've not put that very well. Lets just say it took me ages to get through 35+ pages, (2hours+) but it's the only way to go really.
Re your mods, i like most of them. The seats great idea, (+leather is bleeding cold as well) door handles yes look better, small front no plate, yes, the carbon fibre round the back no plate, not bad, removing the wipers, yeah go on then, the wheel colour, i think i prefered the lighter look, general colour coding works well. There was something i really didn't like too much, but i can't remember what it was! It was outside......
But great job. And great thread.
DSK.> many thanks for the link and your sound advice. I've seen this example on ebay, they call it the colonel. Not sure about the name, but if you've ever seen such a lengthy write up on a car i want to see it. I think this could be a record. Car does look rather nice, if a little pricy. There's also a 300 bhp black job listed (photos show it at towcester racecourse bucks). Somehow i'm not sure about that colour.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-VOLVO-V70...item41560a5cbc

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-VOLVO-V70...item4cf47da7ca

I put some diesel in today, and noticed now 1.30 a litre. 95 octane fuel is 1.49, 98, 1.52.
That was at a local supermarket. On a payage add 15 centimes to all prices i guess.

We are being robbed!!! How come no one's moaning??

I'm late resonding to this as i didn't think anyone had replied (i thought i would be notified by email and i didn't bookmark)

re that thread, on economy mine goes from hertfordhire, round the M25, callais, through Paris and down to Brive le gailliard (60 south on limoges 120 miles north of Toulouse) on 70 litres. Mileage: 596. But if i remember i drove slow (70) most of the way, and began to open up with about a hundred and fifty miles to go. (90).
I was running on fumes eventually but made it back. There are some lovely roads around here, in the east of France (i moved). Fairly mountainous, and challanging. The trip over to geneva is hairpin city, but with good flowing stuff too.

Btw, i was stopped by gendarmes last week for failing to come to a full stop at a jucjtion with a stop sign. I in fact didn;t stop but rolled through at 5m and turned left, straight into the path of the happy gendarme as he stepped away from his unmarked car on the pavement to flag me over. 90 euro's sir, now or you don't go anywhere. The cars has still got UK plates, i said i don't have the money. Not been paid yet, tight after xmas etc. He said can you get 23 euro, i said, yes probably, so i drove to a cashpoint for the 23. 23 is the mimimum they can take if 'necessary' ie you got nomoney. But anyway, as you probably know, you see a stop sign, you are meant to stop, long enough to engage first gear from neutral, or two seconds.
I woudn't mind, but everyone here tailgates like it's some kind of national pastime. That is truly dangerous. doing 140kph is not. The limit was 140 kph until 5 yrs ago btw, then they dropped it to 130 (80) bloody dogooders. And still they tailgate, completely unassailed.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 20:18   #7
Kerry_T-5R
854 T-5R owner

Many thanks for the kind words and taking the time to ready thread - as for wheel colour I may be having them done in Volvo 932 this year..

Volvo 850 T-5R manual (Olive) B5234T5 : 305 bhp & a 14.5 sec 1/4 mile @ 101 mph & Volvo S40 1.9D S 2004 Daily driver
Ex-Volvo: B4194-T2 (S40 T4).
Kerry_T-5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 14:49   #8
btsuck

Hello again, i have just got back from the UK with this Turquoise Pearl 850 tdi (422-21 paint code), which i found living in Yorkshire, via an ebay winning bid of £620. It came with half a tank of diesel and a removable towbar.
Main agent service history to 130K, and 3 owners. 180 k on it now, and i averaged 52 mpg on the 750 mile trip back to France. 65mph on M1 (noisy wheel bearing + getting to know it) Crawl through London to Islington, Dover, Continent all the way back on A and B roads. Would have got more out of it if i had stuck to payage at a constant 70mph, but 40euro toll and a need for a change kept me off it.
It drives a lot better than the silver one, tracks straight, more pothole friendly, (although the clutch pedal is heavier) and i have had the luxury of being able to transfer niggly things: wiper motor, dash bulbs, horn (one not not working), dog guard, mud flap, off the silver and onto it.
Bodywork very good, and just given it a go over with T-cut metallic. There's a bad rust patch around the rear plate drill hole. I've found the paint code, just need to find the paint supplier. Everything is that bit harder when you're not in the UK.
The ECC does not work on AUT, so i am going to swap it, (no working AC compressor on either.) I have just read about a way to short the compressor to see if it does indeed work so will try that, but not going to waste to much time, or money trying to get the AC back. Climate control thought, at the moment, it's not getting too hot at max dial setting, and as soon as i move it from max down a mere couple of nothces the temp reduces too much. ECC again? The temp gauge moves only slightly and very slowly, only rising to the near the half way mark when i was stuck in london traffic on the way back. Thermostat? If so could it effect AUT? If necessay i could take everything out the silver and swap, the 5 internal sensors etc, but i thought i'd start with the ECC unit itself.
The wheel bearing is noisy so i'm going to take the one off the silver. I had a quote to supply and fit one this afternoon....350 euros....say no more.
Brakes, they fade when used hard. eg, i come down a hill, brake, lift off, re-apply, release, repeat as going down hill, until after four goes at this the brake remains firm but has no stopping power! I am thinking i will change the master cylinder and add fresh hydraulic fluid.
Another niggle, someone put the front screen in, and clearly was working in the wrong job, maybe they would be able to put the ice cream into a 99 cone, but fitting windscreens...no. It is sat low (compared to silver one) and there is wind noise around the int mirror area. The rubber seal along the top is not flat against the bodywork. I will attempt the take out and replace and put up the photos. Along with wheel bearing. I went to a 'carglass' (auto glass equivalent) shop, and was met with overwhelming negative distain...
"that'll probably break monsieur if we take it out"
"Oh, i thought wire in and out, move it around the perimeter, be careful, and it should come out..?"
"95% chance it will break, and yes, it wont be our fault. To fit the new one, 800 euros"
Ok, so that's 80 euros more than i paid for the car...
"how about i get one from a breakers and you fit it?"
"300!.."
"Merci et, au revoir" said i...
I've searched the forums for brake problems, but can't find anything specific to what i have. ie brakes not got that much urgency/bite, and performance drops under repeated hard breaking.
More pics to follow showing me taking a hammer to screen...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]