Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SRS reset wire

Views : 1490

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2017, 16:30   #1
stegreg
VOC Member

Default SRS reset wire

Please forgive me if im wrong, but ive been told a couple of times that the 940's have a "reset/code" cable, tucked away somewhere, so all you do is earth the cable and watch the srs light.

Could anyone give me any clues as to
1/ what colour the cable is
2/ where it might be hidden.

Ive replaced the original steering wheel with a leather version, but since doing so, srs light has come on. Ive replaced the clock spring but, obviously need to reset the light now.

many thanks again for any assistance.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 10:35   #2
Alasdair1
Master Member

Not sure. I tend to disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect in the morning. Usually clears all codes etc unless theres a problem with something. Make sure you have the radio code if you need one before disconnecting.

Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alasdair1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 14:38   #3
stegreg
VOC Member

Thanks for the reply, however i did that before i removed the original wheel, even left it half an hour before reconnecting the battery after installation. But the SRS light is on and I need to clear it [obviously]. The Srs details as listed on this forum are a little vague. I dont have the engine bay diagnostic point. I dont have a single wire in the second from the left fuse in the fuseboard...so must be down to the black/brown wire behind the dash.....but has anyone actually found this wire previously, just to make it easier for me to locate.

yep, i do have the radio code, but cant remove the damm radio, any keys i try in the side slots dont seem to fit and its held in solid, so only have the little gap with the ashtray out and the pocket about out.
Old May 25th, 2017, 19:37   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Throw the airbags away and pull the bulb!

Joking aside, what year/model/engine is yours? I'll try to find the relevant diagram and see if i can figure it out for you.
Meanwhile have you considered temporarily reconnecting the original airbag to see if the light does in fact go out? It could be the bag supplied with the new steering wheel is faulty.

For me, airbags are more trouble than they're worth. The last person i knew that was sat behind one when it deployed was deaf for 3 days and had a red face for a week - with a nice white stripe where his glasses had been! Best of it all, he was only doing about 10mph when he had a head-on with another van also sliding at 10mph in the ice.
Also i've heard recently of some people suffering broken noses from the airbag!

Ignoring the potential injuries, airbags on cars the age of ours are going to be prone to problems, simply because of their age - most were only designed with a lifespan of 10 years and our cars are at least double, if not treble that although the oldest ones won't have them thankfully!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 21:01   #5
stegreg
VOC Member

there was no airbag with replacement wheel, so am using all original kit that was in mine. 1995 2.3lpt SE spec
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 21:03   #6
stegreg
VOC Member

Oh and going back to your own issues...if a volvo breaker cant supply, i know it s a rarey, but what of anyone with a renault 30 knocking about......or at a push a roll of self amalgamating tape over your own hose?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 21:37   #7
Alasdair1
Master Member

Was it a new clock spring? It may have broken due to its age when removing if it was the original. Should be a way of checking continuity of the cables or perhaps its not making good contact. Remember to leave the battery off for a while when messing about with airbags etc.

Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alasdair1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 22:21   #8
Jebus
VOC Member

In the tech section it has this

SRS Code reading

Should help you out

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2017, 23:56   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
there was no airbag with replacement wheel, so am using all original kit that was in mine. 1995 2.3lpt SE spec
Thanks for that info, i'll have a look and see what i can find. Someone has posted a link to the SRS files in the Tech section so that might be a good place for me to start - not tonight though as my brain is on strike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
Oh and going back to your own issues...if a volvo breaker cant supply, i know it s a rarey, but what of anyone with a renault 30 knocking about......or at a push a roll of self amalgamating tape over your own hose?
Thanks - I had looked for the Renault 30 and 25 V6 and also the Pug 604 and 505 V6 STi models as they all use the same engine. Even less joy on those than the Volvo breakers!

At present the duct tape seems to be holding up, i have a roll of self-amalgamating (or as they call it these days, self-fusing tape - an American imported name!) tape floating around so could give that a go. I've used it successfully many times in the past to seal cables going into angle sensors on dredge pipes on dredging ships and they go 30m deep so a fair bit of pressure.

I also have another solution sat on my coffee table. Simple 3/4" hose barb with a 1/2"BSP fitting and back-nut. The bore is a little small (about 1/2") but i can bore it out a bit and when the stub is removed from the intake trunking and the hole enlarged a little, it should fit, seal and if i use a sealant, be a lasting repair.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2017, 14:21   #10
stegreg
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
In the tech section it has this

SRS Code reading

Should help you out
Sorry but as I already said....this section is extremely vague in the location of the "code wire", "somewhere around the fusebox or behind the radio is a fair bit of area to search where the wiring is concentrated the most.

Thats why i asked IF someone had already had to use this wire, or at least knew exactly where it was.

My car is one of the "inbetween" models, where the "test box" was not used and so was not fitted in the engine bay, oterwise all this would be a piece of cake.