Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760gle breaking

Views : 2311

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 19:48   #11
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
This is Silver-Green :
Yes, that is the colour.
So if I personally needed a tailgate of that colour I'd be pleasantly optimistic.
Has this thread been derailed?

Dougie are you comfy with posting a pic of the front of your car?
I want to know about the front sidelights.

Last edited by Dirty Rooster; Nov 28th, 2018 at 19:51.
Dirty Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:27   #12
DOUGIE68

I`ll wash all the moss and dirt off then have a go at getting it running, it turns over fine but stinks of petrol and didn't give so much as a splutter using brake cleaner so I suppose there a bad connection in the ignition somewhere.

I cant believe how good the interior is and it has Volvo embroidered overcarpets and a rather daft looking fire extinguisher The body looks pretty rust free as well but both windscreens are very milky.

Ive had a look at the mot history and it appears to have done 2000 miles since 2011 until 2015 and still has 148000 on the clock. The owner had it as a company car (his own company) and bought it on retirement in 97. the odd thing is the mot history has the same items as advisories for years then disappearing which kinda suggests it has had a few new parts fitted, except the tyres which are rotten.

Given the scarcity of the V6 760 but unfortunately its low value im in the mind that if I can get it running I might clean up the discs then stick it in for a mot and if it passes use it till I need the gearbox which at the current rate might be a while. I seems to remember the same thing happening with a 262c I bought for spares which I just sold at a classic car auction.

I get at it when the rain stops, its rained here for 10days now. Its reg is H941 NSX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_2138679919522123.jpg (135.7 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by DOUGIE68; Nov 28th, 2018 at 20:33.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:53   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
Yes, that is the colour.
So if I personally needed a tailgate of that colour I'd be pleasantly optimistic.
Shame it's a saloon though!

Registration might be worth a few quid to a Honda owner though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 20:30   #14
atco

Default 760 breaking

also looking for the rear window glass rear lights
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 21:03   #15
726PAV
780 Owner

What Stereo model please?
726PAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 21:09   #16
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Guessing it is a no but does the redblock aw71 have the same bellhousing as the v6?

If so then you could probably save that 760 and I will have all of the automatic bits available from my 940 when I convert it to a manual.

That way you get the 4 speed with overdrive and you save a 760.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 21:19   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Guessing it is a no but does the redblock aw71 have the same bellhousing as the v6?

If so then you could probably save that 760 and I will have all of the automatic bits available from my 940 when I convert it to a manual.

That way you get the 4 speed with overdrive and you save a 760.
As far as i know Luke, the boxes are the same but the bellhousing bolts on - not sure about the torque converter though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 21:49   #18
DOUGIE68

I took it for a wash today and found one spot of rust under all the moss and sap. these cars hold up well considering its been in a hedge for four years. The engine bay is very clean.
Blew up the spare and if it still has air tomorrow ill wheel the car into the workshop, stick it on the ramp to have a look underneath. Stick a battery on, do some checks, see what works then see if I can get it to go. the cars future depends on that outcome.

I`ll be back with news.
The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 23:18   #19
DOUGIE68

Today`s task was to get the car running and see what works. Fresh fuel and a sand of the coil terminals and it started. Sweet as a sweet thing. Everything except the heater fan work, well it worked for about 5 seconds and fuse is ok. Up on the ramp I cant see any mot fail corrosion. It also has a new exhaust and new coils and Nivomats. Abs light is on but I think that might be due to it not moving since I put the battery on it. As much as I got this for the gearbox I think it might be a sin to break it yet. The 262c might have to live with the BW55 a bit longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 05:49   #20
tofufi
Premier Member

Looks a bit good to break

360beast is doing an auto-manual swap on a 940 which I think would have the later gearbox. Don't know if the bellhousings are separate on them though...
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote