Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Put my mind at ease - XC90 ordered!

Views : 4116

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 21:40   #11
Zoidy

Never even thought about the xc60 really, plus we wanted 7 seats.
Zoidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 20:57   #12
kentishdriver

I will answer that question. Went into the Volvo garage with the sole intention of buying an XC60. That was until the children (ages 10 and 12) sat in the back. The waist/window line is so high that that the windows are above their heads, and they had difficulty in seeing sky, let alone anything else. No chance keeping kids happy on even a short journey if all they can see is the backs of the front seats. Absolutely unbelievable for a car aimed at the family market. Volvo got a XC90 sale out of me in any event. But I know of three other families who have looked at the XC60 and rejected it for the same reason, and who instead went down the SMax, Freelander, and 5 Series routes.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 09:33   #13
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

xc90 is stronger and heavier and feels like it would protect better in an accident. xc60 looks a bit more girly but I am sure it is more up to date. xc90 feels bulletproof when hurtling down the motorway would not swap it feels far more solid than a santa fe.
but at the end of the day its personal preference. I am not knocking the xc60.
Any make of diesel vehicle is not suitable for school run driving owing to the EU imposed DPF rubbish.

Last edited by chunderground; Jun 16th, 2010 at 09:42.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 14:03   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidy View Post
Hi all,

Can people please put my mind at ease about the car? Has anyone with a <3 year old XC90 (MY2010/09) let me know if you have had any issues? Are most of the problems with 04-06?

The problems I keep seeing coming up are:
  • Poor turning circle (my Qashqai does 10.6 m, XC90 does 12.3)
  • Failing wheel bearings
  • Failing/dodgy electrics
  • Balding tyres (although I gather Nokian tyres are best, and will get garage to check tracking when it arrives))
  • Poor MPG (just reset the computer in my diesel 1.5 Qashqai this morning and the 10 minute trip through town I got 27mpg!)
  • Silly place for parking brake (I have ordered a manual btw)
  • Noisy engine (although with the test drive I had it didn't sound noisy at all, compared to my QQ)
  • Dash rattles
  • Lack of bluetooth
  • And the AWD issue on the earlier models.

Cheers,
Pete.
Yes the turning circle is poor. Especially after a 940. You get used to it though.

Most original wheel bearings will have been replaced with the redesigned ones by now as it's about 5 years since the problem was identified.

Electrics of any kind have about a 5% failure rate. I haven't seen anything to suggest the XC90 is any worse than the norm.

I don't personally like the tyres the XC90 is shod with as standard so I would change them anyway or as the dealer to do it as part of the sale. I ebayed my originals and fitted the ones I wanted.

My MPG is very good 35 - 45 mpg but I have the old 163 bhp engine. Short journeys will cane the consumption of course.

I didn't like the parking brake at first but I've gotten used to it, especially once I realised you could pull away quite eaisily with it still on so it dosn't require much finess.

My engine isn't noisy.

My car is over 7 years old but the dash still doesn't rattle.

You can fit blutooth as a Volvo accessory. Nice if it was standard though.

It's just the original AWD splined sleeve that's an issue on older models but there is a upgrade kit to fix that. Had mine done for £355 New models have a completly upgraded AWD.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:14   #15
jeffo

I agree with everything previously said.

Wheel bearing are always going to wear anyway on a heavy car like this. My MPG sucks at 26 but its better than my previous car at 17.

I've had my car 1 week, and am used to the parking brake. As per the manual press it with your foot, release the handle and gently release the brake. Its easy.

Turning circle is nothing surprising.

This is the best, most comfy car i've ever had. I love it.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 12:46   #16
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

car is great as long as you do some long runs in it otherwise DPF will block with soot filter full message all makes using DPF have this problem. Other than that the car is the best value for money on the planet. Just put some motorway miles on it! (must be above 3500 revs for 20 mins every 300 - 400 miles)
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 14:06   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Volvo wheel bearings last forever normally. The issue with the bearing on all model Volvo's 03 - 05 was with the cassett seals letting water in and causing corrosion in the bearing and long since fixed with a redesign of the seals.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 05:50   #18
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

had no problems at all with mine in 9 months so relax and enjoy it. I have switched to low soot fuel now just as a precaution concerning the DPF problems that ALL manufacturers are experiencing. Dont know yet if I will see any benefit in terms of performance / running but the v-power diesel with its Gas to Liquid component does by all reports run cleaner. Time will tell ......

No rattles or noises, turning circle on mine is wide due to 19" wheels have just got used to it. Smaller wheels = smaller turning circle so depends on model purchased. I am guessing it will use more fuel than a nissan though your choice of manual box should improve mpg. This car is in a different league to nissan and toyotas (QQ and rav4) but the felling of solidity is like nothing else i have ever driven. It has been ranked in the top ten safest cars ever built so if it costs more its worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by chunderground; Jun 18th, 2010 at 06:03.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 12:47   #19
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

had mine nearly three years no problems - only get 25 - 27 mpg depending on usage. still love the car will keep it till it drops (hopefully a good few years yet)
Big comfortable safe great motorway cruiser loadsa stuff as standard looks great with sidesteps and tints - love it - just enjoy it - a reliable car in my opinion, by the way biggest gripe is turning circle have adapted driving style to suit but is a problem in multi storey car parks at heathrow where the turns are tight.

Must be the safest feel I have ever had from a car if that is important to you then you will love it.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 11:37   #20
Ian H

We had the same worries, especially after reading about some of the problems on here.

We narrowed our choice down to a Kia Sorrento, XC60 and XC90.
Tried sitting in a Kia and it felt too small - couldn't get the seat far enough back. Also had a 'cheap' look about it. I believe the Santa Fe is a 'cheaper' version of the Kia, although I haven't looked at them in detail.

In the end we were offered a big discount (and 3 years servicing) on the XC90 and it just felt like we were getting an awful lot of car for the money. We tow a caravan and (moving from a Landcruiser) wanted something big and heavy. Also, it had a quality feel about it - like it would last for years (which is what we want it to do). Plenty of gadgets, including Bluetooth (I believe it's standard in 2012 models).

We ordered mid February and it's due mid March.
Ian H is offline   Reply With Quote