Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Put my mind at ease - XC90 ordered!

Views : 4105

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 13:12   #21
pdrvolvo
Master Member

It does,nt matter what make or model of car you buy your in the lap of the gods IMO.

peter.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 15:09   #22
Miles121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidy View Post
Hi all,

glad to see the forum is back up, but shame to lose 2 weeks worth of postings.

I ordered my XC90 a couple of weeks ago and trying to wait patiently, and I was really excited. Problem is, the more I look at this forum the more I am wondering if I have done the right thing!!

Can people please put my mind at ease about the car? Has anyone with a <3 year old XC90 (MY2010/09) let me know if you have had any issues? Are most of the problems with 04-06?

The problems I keep seeing coming up are:
  • Poor turning circle (my Qashqai does 10.6 m, XC90 does 12.3)
  • Failing wheel bearings
  • Failing/dodgy electrics
  • Balding tyres (although I gather Nokian tyres are best, and will get garage to check tracking when it arrives))
  • Poor MPG (just reset the computer in my diesel 1.5 Qashqai this morning and the 10 minute trip through town I got 27mpg!)
  • Silly place for parking brake (I have ordered a manual btw)
  • Noisy engine (although with the test drive I had it didn't sound noisy at all, compared to my QQ)
  • Dash rattles
  • Lack of bluetooth
  • And the AWD issue on the earlier models.

However the one thing I have not yet seen is issues with the DPF! Having a DPF was putting me off buying another diesel (the QQ I have does not have one). We mainly make 2 x 15 minute trips to nursery per day during the week then go off somewhere at weekends to visit places. In a lot of other car make forums there are people complaining of DPF regen problems.

The plus points I am trying to keep in mind are:

Space and lots of it (one 2yr old and one on the way, plus a mother-in-law in tow occasionaly)
  • Comfortable ride
  • Safe for the family
  • Multiple positions for seats
  • Incorporated USB!
  • Auto drivers seat adjustment
  • Split tailgate
  • Proper leather (QQ has fake leather)
  • Higher ride and easier to get kids into child seats
  • Depreciation better than Nissan
  • It's AWD (the snow this winter stopped us using the QQ)
  • It's not an unnatractive car!

Cheers,
Pete.
Mine 2010 R-Design D5

Yep turning circle of the QE2 ( I always back into spaces especailly in tight car parks)
No wheel bearing issues
No electrical issues
Yep Front tyres last about 10 -13000 miles if treated carefully
Yep MPG 24 around town
Yep parking brake means I accidentaly put on the fog lights most days
Yep noisy engine, sounds like a tractor, goes like a tractor ( new mapping on later models meant to make a difference though).
No dash rattles build quality generally very good.
No AWD issues
Yep Heater on feet useless (sorry had to add)

All that said I agree with your major plus points and if the above is all that wrong with it, there are worse cars out there.

Last edited by Miles121; Mar 5th, 2012 at 15:13.
Miles121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 19:57   #23
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles121 View Post
Mine 2010 R-Design D5

Yep turning circle of the QE2 ( I always back into spaces especailly in tight car parks)
No wheel bearing issues
No electrical issues
Yep Front tyres last about 10 -13000 miles if treated carefully
Yep MPG 24 around town
Yep parking brake means I accidentaly put on the fog lights most days
Yep noisy engine, sounds like a tractor, goes like a tractor ( new mapping on later models meant to make a difference though).
No dash rattles build quality generally very good.
No AWD issues
Yep Heater on feet useless (sorry had to add)

All that said I agree with your major plus points and if the above is all that wrong with it, there are worse cars out there.

If your XC sounds and go's like a tractor then you need to visit your dealer, my 2010 pulls like a train and is as quiet as any of the competition.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:32   #24
Miles121

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
If your XC sounds and go's like a tractor then you need to visit your dealer, my 2010 pulls like a train and is as quiet as any of the competition.
Hear what you say, I suppose its what you expect.

My main dealer is really pushing the polestar remap as they admitted its underpowered!

My XC90 looks fantastic and if you knock the nuts out of it it goes alright. The problem here is because of bloody emmisions you have the issue of a relatively small deisel engine in a big piece of metal. I think the XC90 is screaming for a 3-3.5L TD like the Merc has. It would make all the difference and probably would be no worse on fuel as you wouldn't have to wring its neck all the time to get it moving.
Miles121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:03   #25
Ron_XC90
Master Member

It's probably down to what you're used to, I find my XC by no means slow, whether in town or on the motorway... that is coming from diesel people carriers
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 13:33   #26
JetBlastDeflector
XC40 P8 FIRST EDITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidy View Post
For anyone who has ordered an XC90 recently I just checked with my dealer and my delivery date is 15th April. Ordered two weeks ago today so that makes it an 10 week delivery - fingers crossed it wont be any longer than that.
I ordered my XC90 November 15th 2011, the car was at the dealers on 15th December 2011!
JetBlastDeflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 14:10   #27
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Dont forget guys, this thread is over two years old ... so Zoidy has had his car for over 2 years now, so since he is still about on the forums (well in the last 3 months) I guess he liked it ... or ditched it for a different model.

TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 16:34   #28
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

I find the issue of " lack of power " intriguing, now I accept you cant have too much power, but I never found my 185 to be lacking, particularly as she weighs over 2 tonnes ! round town and accelerating up to 30 mph I can keep up with anyone , ( well perhaps not the t*t in the M3 ) but run of the mill fords and vauxhalls no problem, as for motorways , she'll sit at 80 - 90 all day , Ive never yet run out of throttle .We've just holidayed in the lakes, four adults two toddlers plus luggage , absolutely no problem at all, so even if I had more power I just wouldnt use it ! by the way I never have to cane her at all, so I just wonder where some owners run out of steam
dave
galloot633 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 16:49   #29
Rawas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
Dont forget guys, this thread is over two years old ... so Zoidy has had his car for over 2 years now, so since he is still about on the forums (well in the last 3 months) I guess he liked it ... or ditched it for a different model.

We hope that Zoidy is still with us, and he is enjoying his XC90.
My experience with the petrol people carrier this time; mine is 2008 3.2;
Very slow on 1st gear, it picks up much better later.
Turning circle, not really a big deal.
Sudden rattle from C.D box & storage bin, but not from dash, disappears later.
Unusual hot centre console, with all buttons switched off, doesn't show all the time.
Fuel consumption; forget it. very thirsty.
Engine,transmission,AWD, not a single issue. I wished it has the XC60's T6 engine, 50 additional hp. makes a lot of sense.
Blue tooth, doesn't need it, CDs sound much better.
Audio system;the cream of the cream.
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 02:17   #30
minstrelblue
minstrelblue

Default xc90

mine's a 2009 xc90 active premium geartronic- been a great car- comfortable ride, only issues i have had was a failed egr sensor, power steering pump replaced, and 2 rear wheel bearings at 38000 miles.all done under warranty,.
minstrelblue is offline   Reply With Quote