Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

iPhone integration

Views : 2945

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 11:59   #1
zikomo

Default iPhone integration

Have a SE Lux on order, did not choose Sat Nav option as want to use my iPhone with Tom Tom. Is there a neat way of properly integrating the iPhone? In particular so music and sat nav commands play over the car audio system?
zikomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 15:59   #2
Tatter

I use mine with Ndrive (£9.99 on iTunes). You can still select the playlists when it's plugged into the USB port.
The music quietens when the voice commands are given and it works through the car's speakers perfectly. Calls aren't possible as there is no bluetooth.
My XC90 is the MY2010, so I cannot say if the new model works better or the same.
Tatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 17:12   #3
zikomo

Thanks for this. What I am struggling with is how I get a neat and tidy effect with the functionality I want. I will probably buy the Tom Tom iPhone cradle (as it boosts the pretty week GPS reception you get on the iPhone). This needs power to work (and charge the iPhone) and I will also need to plug it into the aux input to get music through the car stereo. Once all this is done I need to work out how best to use handsfree phone!
Ideal would be a way of plugging it all in, and hiding the wires in a neat way. Anyone attempted this?
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 20:30   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

Have a read through some of the pages in my blog, see Here I appreciate its a different model of car but it should give you a few ideas about hiding cables and making a neat install to the vehicle, look at the entries covering the install of the TT Go-940 as thats got most detail.
Don't forget the TomTom car kit for the iPhone is also available with a Brodit style attachement which you attach to one of their Pro-Clips to suit your car, these are far better than the windscreen suction mounts as they are more secure and make it easy to hide the wires through the air vent.

When I get chance I will add another entry detailing how I fitted my TT car kit which was supplied as a windscreen suction type which I modified to fit the Brodit kit prior to TT releasing the alternate product - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 21:26   #5
Warbur555

Try looking at this thread (apologies if the link doesn't work - my first attempt at this)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ferrerid=56318

There was a bit of discussion on the iphone installations and satnav apps. I put some pictures up of how mine is installed. I am running Copilot without a gps enhancer and don't have any problems with signal strength.
Warbur555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:55   #6
zikomo

Thanks very much - all good advice.

I am pretty sure, though, that I will want to go with the Tom Tom cradle as I really want the boost to GPS reception that it gives. Especially when traveling on the continent in strange cities I like to have plenty of warning for turns etc!

Has anyone used one of these car kits, and has anyone managed to get everything to work together (i.e. sat nav, music and handsfree phone?). Also is there anyone else who has managed such a neat installation? Pretty impressed with the look of this one!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 13:13   #7
bburkie10

i have got a parrot mki9100 installed which is good. mines an 05 so i didnt have an aux in. the sat nav (tomtom and copilot)both work well through the speakers and i have the iphone lead comming out of the dash board so when i use the sat nav it covers the speedo (but the screen tells me my speed!) and picks up a good gps reception. so the parrot works well for the music, sat nav and handfree
bburkie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 13:32   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikomo View Post
Has anyone used one of these car kits, and has anyone managed to get everything to work together (i.e. sat nav, music and handsfree phone?). Also is there anyone else who has managed such a neat installation? Pretty impressed with the look of this one!
Here is what I did with my TT car kit:

All the cables dive out through the car air vent which does involve a little cutting of the air pipe inside the vent but this cannot be seen at all, once the cable is behind the dash I connected it to an additional ciggy lighter socket that is burried and out of sight.

For the audio output either Nav instructions and/ or iPOD can be routed via the audio out cable which is connected to the aux input of the head unit (non Volvo stereo) or I can use Bluetooth A2DP to send the audio to the iO-Play device which also plays everything through the car speakers.

The air vent clip is made by Brodit who manufacture loads of different Pro-Clips to sort various positions in thousands of different vehicles, these clips involve no drilling/ screwing etc and can be removed leaving no trace that it was ever installed to the vehicle - The TomTom Car Kit (Brodit style) is then screwed to the Pro-Clip, you can find details of the Brodit style TT car kit by clicking Here and dsldevelopments are the best people to approach for the Pro-Clip see Here - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 22:40   #9
Beavis
Premier Member

bburkie,

i have a similar age xc90 to yours, without the usb connection, and was looking at the MKi9100 to source music through my iPhone.

were you able to fit the parrot device yourself, or did you get it professionally installed?
does the sound quality sound ok - cd quality? i have dabbled with fm transmitters in the past, but end up ditching them due to the quality.

does anyone know if the SOT-045 lead will work with the music, or if it is for the phone only?
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote