Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Towbar.

Views : 2386

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 14:12   #1
GazT4
Diesel Power

Default V50 Towbar.

Anyone got one, ideally a detachable one.

Cash waiting.
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 15:16   #2
GazT4
Diesel Power

Ive just bought new, i get trade discount at Towsure so anyone needing stuff i can get a wee discount.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 13:05   #3
tanstair
Tanstair

Did they cut into the bumper? I really want a towbar fitted but refuse to get one that cuts into the bumper, I have the R Design trim.

can anyone help
tanstair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 13:12   #4
GazT4
Diesel Power

I fitted mine (solid bar- towsure) without cutting but it does push the Sport trim up maybe 10mm max..
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 17:23   #5
foxyloxey

I'm picking up my 10 plate V50 R design next week and also want to know which detachable tow bar can be fitted to a R-Design without a bumper cut? I searched for images and direct answers but cant find any, someone must have a ????????? which fits great.
Also dedicated electric or not, whats your thoughts?
Thanks for any advise.
foxyloxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 21:11   #6
foxyloxey

Default V50 R-Design detachable Towbar no cut

I got a Witter swan neck detachable from ebay for £179, the electrics £81 for genuine Volvo module, fuse, 13 pin wire with plugs and finally £56 labour and software from Volvo dealer.

No bumper cut on V50 R-Design and electrics took up out of the way, but need to be fixed at a angle, they just clear bottom edge of bumper when you pull them down.

Fitted it myself in less than 1.5 hour, hour for the tow bar and half hour for electrics.

No need to remove interior trim in boot for electrics like it says in the Volvo instructions, I managed to do it through the access cover for the rear bulb changing, the two plugs on the loom are taped up just below this on the right, can't miss them, When you have the bumper off you can pull the rear vent cover off above the rubber grommet and feed the wire up easily. The hardest bit was getting the plugs through the grommet.

I had quotes for supply and fit ranging from £480 to £635, Joke!
Volvo electrics worked out cheaper all in than car specific electric kits too.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (239.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (187.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (188.7 KB, 22 views)
foxyloxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 23:25   #7
jon1109

Default Witter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstair View Post
Did they cut into the bumper? I really want a towbar fitted but refuse to get one that cuts into the bumper, I have the R Design trim.

can anyone help
Hi I have the R-Design sport 2009 model, I opted for a Witter detachable tow bar because I have fitted and used them before & in my opinion they are the best. Anyway, they claimed no bumper cut! This is the exact one that's specifically designed for the R-Design & sport models? Very easy to fit but you do need to take not so much a cut but file away a bit of the lower spoiler, however it is on the inside and is completely invisible unless you want to lie under the car and look behind the spoiler, my tow ball pushes straight in & is very easy to use, I believe you also get a swan neck one which pushes up under the bumper which may not need a cut, however they are not as user friendly. On the electrics, I bought a set of 13 pin plug play Westphalia electrics from eBay and was assured they would fit my car which they did not, the lower light clusters changed around 2007 and went from a 4 pin to six pin plug so only part of the Westphalia kit fitted my car, it was for the pre 2007 model which is 4 pin I believe. I hope this is of some help.
jon1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 23:29   #8
jon1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Anyone got one, ideally a detachable one.

Cash waiting.
I have the Westphalia plug and play 13 pin electrics I believe will fit your model if you are interested?
jon1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 15:15   #9
sdraper90

Just wondered what grommets you feed the cable through to access the boot, had a quick look under mine and the grommets seem to go into a crumple zone rather than the boot

Thanks
sdraper90 is offline   Reply With Quote