Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Broke parking brake actuator tabs

Views : 278

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:55   #1
morsing
Premier Member

Default Broke parking brake actuator tabs

Good morning,

I had to replace the pads on my wife's V70 and plugged in VIDA to retract the EPB. For some weird reason, nothing happened (I have done this successfully previously).

So I followed the instructions that came with the pads and removed the parking brake actuator leaving each side with a broken tab.

They are also increadibly difficult to push back on over the large O-ring. I know the instructions recommend getting a new one. On one side, even my G-clamp couldn't push the housing over the O-ring.

So where does this leave me? A new Volvo actuator is £300! Some aftermarket actuators are a bit over £100. I think one side might hold, but the other won't for sure.

Any other fix than a complete new unit?

Thanks
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 20:22   #2
TeamG
Master Member

I had this issue caused by the garage who sold it to me changing the pads in this way. They snapped one tab on the motor, but then reassembled it with the broken tab. The issue is that the Torx screw is very near the motor housing so a Torx socket is bent to one side when removing it and ends up snapping the tab. The Torx screws are also very corroded and tight, so difficult to remove.

A better way to change the pads is to wind back the motor using a 9V PP3 battery and two short wires. I made a little device to do this with a PP3 battery terminal and a pair of crocodile clips (search my previous responses to threads as I have some pics and also more text about it).

The 9V battery is too weak to damage the motor or the calipers. If you get it the wrong way around, it just doesn’t wind back so swap the polarity and try again. When you’ve reassembled the brakes, just apply the EPB once and it will find the right spot after actuating the motor for a short while. The EPB operates by measuring the current that is needed to wind the motor. As the right handbrake pressure is applied, the pressure increases on the motor and the current rises to the point that the EPB stops winding.

I bought a reconditioned caliper with new motor fitted from Ebay for less than the cost of a motor. Mine was for a V70 and cost me iirc around £88.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 20:29   #3
TeamG
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...78#post2808378

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...39#post2803239

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...88#post2749388

Three previous threads on this. You’ll have to manually go to the first page on each.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote