Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

17" V70 Wheels...

Views : 1076

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:23   #1
mraldonnelly

...booted with 225/45/17 tyres (from a new shape V70)

Do they fit an 850 (and S/V70 classic)?

Sort of. I fitted a set last night. They look pretty damn good and fill the arches quite nicely. The only problem is that they rub at the front when the front wheels are on full lock or if cornering too fast. I reckon they'll also rub at the back if the car is fully loaded thus bottoming out the suspension at the rear.

They look good though so I'm reluctant to get rid of them. I fitted the wheels to one side first so I could compare the look of the original wheels versus the new ones. After looking at the new wheels fitted, the original ones just lok so poxy and small.

Anyone got any idea if I could fit 205/45/17 tyres to these wheels? If a 205 tyre will fit these wheels then the overall width and diameter will remain more or less the same (about 3 - 4mm larger diameter). I would therefore assume that this will eliminate the rubbing issue.

They do look good though. If 205 tyres will fit these larger wheels then I'll price them up with a view to keeping the new wheels. If not, or if it's too expensive to get the tyres then I guess I'll just get my original wheels refurbed and refit them.

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:33   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: 17" V70 Wheels...

I've heard that 225 tyres can rub. I think the largest tyres you can fit are 215/45 17 which is what I have fitted without a problem. My car is lowered aswell. 205/45 17 will be OK infact better than the 205/40 17's that volvo fit and leave the rims rather vulnerable to damage.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 13:51   #3
mraldonnelly

Thanks Simon,

I've just been advised on another forum that I can't fit thinner tyres to these wheels as the new shape V70 rims are 8" wide whereas 17" 850 rims are only 7.5" wide :-( .

I guess I'll have to sell them and try and get a set of 850 or classic V70 17" wheels.

Gutted.

They do the job and look good but I could do without the rubbing - however minimal.

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 14:14   #4
JOHN 850

Are you selling you T5 alloys then, when sorted ?

Let me know or email me at jallam@supanet.com

Cheers,

John.

Previous : V90 RD, 360GLEi, V70TDI, V70 2.5D, 965, C70 T5 x3, 340 x2, 360GLT x4, P1800ES x3, 240 x3, 940 x2, S70 x3, 850 x3, S80, 480 x2, 120 x2, XC90 x2, V70 D5 x3
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 14:24   #5
Andy
Master Member

I'm running 225/35 R18 on my Pegasus 'R' alloys off the new shape V70's & S60's.

Using the old favourite: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

225/40 R17 are very close to that size.

I'm also very lowered on KW coilovers, are you at standard height?

If you really wanted I'm sure you could fit them.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 14:55   #6
mraldonnelly

Andy,

I'm at standard height but drastically need to renew most of my suspension. To go to anything other than standard Volvo suspension means I will have to lower the car as I can't find any aftermarket stuff which ain't lowered.

As to the tyre size, yes, 225/40/17 are a more or less identical diameter and circumference to the original 205/50/16. However, can I find 225/40/17's anywhere? Nope! I guess then that because they're not a common size, they're going to be VERY expensive.

So yours is "very lowered"? How lowered? I don't think I would be able to lower mine at all at the moment because I reckon the tyres would foul the wheel arch because of the tyre width. Do your wheels fit into the arch OK? Do you get any rubbing at all?

Any info would be appreciated as I'd love to keep these wheels.

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 14:58   #7
mraldonnelly

John,

I may be selling my T5 wheels but I'm not sure yet - I was considering keeping them as a spare set but could also do with raising a bit of cash for suspension and ECU remap.

On the other hand, I may sell the V70 wheels I've just bought - I'll have to wait and see if I can find a solution to the occasional rubbing I get.

Either way, I'm thinking of getting the T5 wheels refurbed because they aren't in the greatest condition (some laquer bubbling and some rim scuffs).

regards

Andy
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 15:05   #8
mraldonnelly

Andy,

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, if I can sort out the diameter / circumference issue, will 225's fit under the arch OK?

Not being able to get hold of any 225/40/17's I was thinking of going for 225/35/17's. I know this will make for a much harsher ride and probably provide less rim protection but if it will fit under the arches then is it worth me considering? Will I still get rubbing with a tyre width of 225mm, even if the diameter is less than standard?

Regards

Andy
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 16:45   #9
sholtby
Premier Member

Try undoing the bolts that hold the shockers to the wheel hubs and push inwards at that point to add negative camber. The wheels will then fit better under the arches. I've done this on my car and the tyres dont seem to be wearing unevenly. The camber is about the same as the rear wheels.
If the wheels still rub on full lock try removing those plastic blocks on the wishbones that limit the amount of steering lock and fit some bigger blocks.
I'd have thought a 215/45 17 tyre would fit on an 8" rim OK. I used to have a Quattro turbo and standard fit was a 215/50 15 tyre on an 8J wheel. The rim did stick out slightly further than the tyre though and was what hit the kerb first. 215 tyres on a 7j rim give some rim protection.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 21:25   #10
nigelt5cd

Hi andy nigel (black v70 with no t5 wheels lol) here send me a pic of the wheels on the car would love to see it. May have a chance of some 850R 17" wheels could be up for a swop let me know you have my number
nigelt5cd is offline   Reply With Quote