Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Harsh gear engagement from Park to Drive

Views : 9507

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2016, 12:35   #1
Holts

Default XC60 Harsh gear engagement from Park to Drive

Hi, can anybody help my 2011 XC60 has an intermittent fault when putting into drive, the car seams to lunge forward and make a loud 'clunk' noise.
It doesn't do it when cold or selecting 'R' or 'N'.
I have read on previous posts it could be the Transmission fluid, but been advised not to change it as it could make things worse.
The car runs perfect and gear changes are really smooth.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Holts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 14:37   #2
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holts View Post
Hi, can anybody help my 2011 XC60 has an intermittent fault when putting into drive, the car seams to lunge forward and make a loud 'clunk' noise.
It doesn't do it when cold or selecting 'R' or 'N'.
I have read on previous posts it could be the Transmission fluid, but been advised not to change it as it could make things worse.
The car runs perfect and gear changes are really smooth.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Possibly needs an oil change and reset oil change what mileage and has it been used for towing?IMHO wiil not do any damage.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 15:58   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Also check the idling speed as if it is too high you will get this issue as the fluid flywheel will be turning fast enough to transfer motion to the gearbox.
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 16:58   #4
JBob74

This is a known problem on the Aisin AW TF-80SC 6-speed.

It can be due to the software being a bit over optimistic with its adaptations, which is designed to adapt to changes in friction/viscosity of the automatic transmission fluid over its life. This software is one of the reasons Volvo do not specify an ATF change interval on these gearboxes and they are effectively "sealed for life" (or sealed for the life of the gearbox!) unlike VW and others who use the same 'box.

I can also be due to a sticking linear solenoid, which is possibly due to the fact the the ATF hasn't been changed!

The official Volvo bulletin on these states to check the latest software is installed and peform an adaptations reset, followed by a road test to relearn the parameters.

There is talk about an ATF change in some threads on the subject, but on my 2011 V60 my dealer wouldn't do it. Basically they perform the above software reset and if that doesn't work then it is a new auto box!

See also http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=230919
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 17:56   #5
Holts

Thanks for replies everyone,
GJB - it has covered 115,000 miles and it has been used for towing but not very frequent just a caravan.
Jbob74 a would you recommend a software update and reprogram/relearn then if needed change oil or not?
Wimorrision - I have checked idling speed and it seems fine and has no problem going in to reverse.
Thanks
Holts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 20:04   #6
Ahtif

I had exactly the same problem with my 2011 year xc60. Covered 195k km.
Oil change and new adaption cured the problem. Only sometimes downshift from 4 to 3 is noticeable.
Ahtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 20:54   #7
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holts View Post
Thanks for replies everyone,
GJB - it has covered 115,000 miles and it has been used for towing but not very frequent just a caravan.
Jbob74 a would you recommend a software update and reprogram/relearn then if needed change oil or not?
Wimorrision - I have checked idling speed and it seems fine and has no problem going in to reverse.
Thanks
If it has been used for towing definitely at that mileage should have an oil change .
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2016, 23:33   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob74 View Post
This is a known problem on the Aisin AW TF-80SC 6-speed.

It can be due to the software being a bit over optimistic with its adaptations, which is designed to adapt to changes in friction/viscosity of the automatic transmission fluid over its life. This software is one of the reasons Volvo do not specify an ATF change interval on these gearboxes and they are effectively "sealed for life" (or sealed for the life of the gearbox!) unlike VW and others who use the same 'box.

I can also be due to a sticking linear solenoid, which is possibly due to the fact the the ATF hasn't been changed!

The official Volvo bulletin on these states to check the latest software is installed and peform an adaptations reset, followed by a road test to relearn the parameters.

There is talk about an ATF change in some threads on the subject, but on my 2011 V60 my dealer wouldn't do it. Basically they perform the above software reset and if that doesn't work then it is a new auto box!

See also http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=230919
not true at all , where did you read that ? Volvo don't publish that anywhere , They recommend the oil is changed at 36000 miles if the car is used for taxi work or in arduous conditions , what ever that may be ... I would change the oil every 54000 miles if i had one and keep the software up to date , it is modified about once a year . If you don't plan on keeping the car or going over 100000 miles just forget about it . most do ! If you buy one at 100000 miles first thing to do is change the oil and get a software update . There are two specific adaption processes for these problems which need and must have VIDA to start them , a road test doesn't do it . one does the N to D jolt , the other does the 4 to 3 downshift jolt , one process doesn't cure the other . best leave it to the dealer to do .... they are used to it .
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 09:09   #9
Fat Magpie

I agree on the gearbox oil change being a 'good thing' my XC60 was second hand but came with a Volvo warranty, I asked about a gearbox oil change and I was told 'if its working properly - leave it alone"

But a few yrs a go a friend with a 7 series BMW did a oil change on his 'sealed for life box' and it definitely improved things, he said it was like new. The old problems of snatching gear changes disappeared. The process itself is somewhat involved, you need a pump to such out the old stuff and sort of do a transfusion, also run the engine and manually go thru the gears up and down before you can drive it on the road. Get the procedure wrong and it can be expensive.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 16:53   #10
JBob74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
not true at all , where did you read that ? Volvo don't publish that anywhere , They recommend the oil is changed at 36000 miles if the car is used for taxi work or in arduous conditions , what ever that may be ... I would change the oil every 54000 miles if i had one and keep the software up to date , it is modified about once a year . If you don't plan on keeping the car or going over 100000 miles just forget about it . most do ! If you buy one at 100000 miles first thing to do is change the oil and get a software update . There are two specific adaption processes for these problems which need and must have VIDA to start them , a road test doesn't do it . one does the N to D jolt , the other does the 4 to 3 downshift jolt , one process doesn't cure the other . best leave it to the dealer to do .... they are used to it .
Hi Clan,

It was exactly what my dealer told me when mine was recently in for the N to D shunt issue!

They connected VIDA, checked the software (it was up to date as it has always been dealer serviced) and did (one of) the adaptation resets. But they wouldn't entertain an ATF change (I'm only at 29k miles) stating that it was "sealed for life" and it would need a new gearbox if the adapation recalibration didn't fix it.