Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Harsh gear engagement from Park to Drive

Views : 9506

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2016, 18:45   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob74 View Post
Hi Clan,

It was exactly what my dealer told me when mine was recently in for the N to D shunt issue!

They connected VIDA, checked the software (it was up to date as it has always been dealer serviced) and did (one of) the adaptation resets. But they wouldn't entertain an ATF change (I'm only at 29k miles) stating that it was "sealed for life" and it would need a new gearbox if the adapation recalibration didn't fix it.
Hello Bob ,
Unbelievable , don't they read their own service sheets i wonder ? Maybe they have a gearbox there they need to sell ...
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 19:05   #12
Rooster
Speed freak

Ive done loads of oil changes on these auto boxes and not had one back yet,

Its not cheap like 14 litres to do it right, about 200 quids worth of oil but its cheaper than a new auto box,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 11:23   #13
eeviac1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holts View Post
Hi, can anybody help my 2011 XC60 has an intermittent fault when putting into drive, the car seams to lunge forward and make a loud 'clunk' noise.
It doesn't do it when cold or selecting 'R' or 'N'.
I have read on previous posts it could be the Transmission fluid, but been advised not to change it as it could make things worse.
The car runs perfect and gear changes are really smooth.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Did you ever get this resolved? got same on my 2011 XC60

Thanks
eeviac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 13:52   #14
JaneB

Angry XC60 Harsh gear engagement from Park to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holts View Post
Hi, can anybody help my 2011 XC60 has an intermittent fault when putting into drive, the car seams to lunge forward and make a loud 'clunk' noise.
It doesn't do it when cold or selecting 'R' or 'N'.
I have read on previous posts it could be the Transmission fluid, but been advised not to change it as it could make things worse.
The car runs perfect and gear changes are really smooth.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I have exactly the same problem on my 2015 XC60 which has only done 35k miles! It only does it when the car has been running for say 10 miles or so, usually when I come home and manoeuvre in the drive. Otherwise it runs fine.

My Volvo garage suggests changing a "seal" in the gearbox, which will take 3 days to do and cost me £1700!!

Can anyone help?
Did you get yours sorted Holts?
Surely this should not be a problem in such a low mileage car?
JaneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 15:16   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneB View Post
I have exactly the same problem on my 2015 XC60 which has only done 35k miles! It only does it when the car has been running for say 10 miles or so, usually when I come home and manoeuvre in the drive. Otherwise it runs fine.

My Volvo garage suggests changing a "seal" in the gearbox, which will take 3 days to do and cost me £1700!!

Can anyone help?
Did you get yours sorted Holts?
Surely this should not be a problem in such a low mileage car?
The dealer has to do a few diagnostic checks and adaption driving first before coming to a conclusion , they can't just jump in at the deep end . It may well be fine afterwards , but the worst case is that indeed some seals inside the gearbox will need replacing with modified ones . I would not change the gearbox oil yet for this symptom as it would be changed when they do the seal if need be .
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 10:08   #16
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The dealer has to do a few diagnostic checks and adaption driving first before coming to a conclusion , they can't just jump in at the deep end . It may well be fine afterwards , but the worst case is that indeed some seals inside the gearbox will need replacing with modified ones . I would not change the gearbox oil yet for this symptom as it would be changed when they do the seal if need be .
Mine is at the local Volvo Dealer today for exactly this diagnostic. I only bought the car 6 weeks ago (from a different Volvo garage not local) and realised during second week of ownership that I had the P to D jolt when engine is hot. I now realise that the dealer I bought it from is a Volvo Approved Service Centre but not actually a 'main dealer'? So although all emails and paperwork were plastered with Volvo logos I don't have the Selekt cover (aarghh!).

Anyway the fault must have been pre-existing at point of sale as far as I'm concerned so I'm hoping they'll cover the repair whatever it may be.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 13:14   #17
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Car came back having had a 1hr VIDA diagnostic, a TCM update and some calibration & test drive (according to the invoice). They had the car from 9am to 5pm and total cost was £275.

Jolt into D seems to be gone (at the moment at least) although there's now slightly more of a jerk going into R than there was before but not to what I would call an unacceptable level - just feels a bit different and more pronounced.

Let's see how we go.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Jul 16th, 2022 at 13:42.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 15:30   #18
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

This can be worn CV joints as well, simply get under her and twist them, if they clunk excessively this might be your problem,

Normally a failing TC leads to slippage and the same with dying oil or a blocked filter if the box has a filter, if there is a filter and it's one you can access like an engine oil filter I would buy 1L of box oil and a filter, soak the new filter overnight and then fit it the next day, you shouldn't mess with the oil level then.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 21:16   #19
Toprivetguns

I believe the Aisin warner box TF-80c has an internally sealed filter. Just bonkers!
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 21:20   #20
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
I believe the Aisin warner box TF-80c has an internally sealed filter. Just bonkers!

Not sure tbh, my Vx had one as Aisin supply lots of companies and to the best of my knowledge the filter had been consigned to history as it caused more hassle than it saved once it started blocking up, VAG with the DSG have the right idea, nice little cartridge one on the top of the box, battery tray out and undo the cap like an oil filter.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote