Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Performance Upgrade to Premium Audio or Aftermarket?

Views : 1638

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2022, 22:24   #1
Bromie

Default High Performance Upgrade to Premium Audio or Aftermarket?

Hi,

There seem to be a lot of threads on this but I'm unable to find a definitive answer about the best approach to take.

I currently have a 2016 XC60 R-Design Lux Nav with High Performance audio. I knew that this wouldn't be ideal but I had to compromise due to the specific model I was after.

So I'm now looking at potential upgrade paths for the audio. I've tried to do my research but I could do with an expert opinion on the best way forward, as I'm not looking for a complete overhaul but would like to stay as OEM as possible.

Basically - would you recommend that I try to source the Premium Audio speaker set from a compatible car, including the upgraded amplifier?

Or - would you keep the standard amplifier but upgrade the 8 speakers with compatible aftermarket parts (Audison APK 165, etc.)?

Which would offer the 'best' jump in audio quality? I much prefer clarity and sound quality to volume, but I know that sometimes power is required to drive more capable speakers.

I know that the Premium Audio amplifier would require a software change from a dealer (is anyone able to clarify the part number, as I can only seem to find part numbers through US-based models)? I believe it requires "AUD RELOAD" and "AUD PREMIUM SOUND" - does anyone know why both are required?. Also, is this simply a reload of the correct software or is anything else required - I've seen mention of requiring "ITP Off," but I don't know if this was for an older model.

Many thanks, Dan.
Bromie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 07:59   #2
Easington
Master Member

Personally Dan and from experience with other cars I would always go aftermarket.

OEM parts seem to attract a price premium which outweighs their performance. I've looked at upgrading mine and have found a couple of links which may be of interest:

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/n...or-dsp.200578/

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/d...ow-end.158941/
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 20:38   #3
Bromie

Thanks for the info Easington. I've actually been through both of those threads in my searching, though I admittedly understand more now. That's also good advice about aftermarket vs. even trying to source the full Premium Sound system.

So I know that my High Performance system has 8 speakers (a tweeter and woofer in each door). I also understand that even changing the speakers will make a huge difference, but for the full effect I should also upgrade the amplifier. This is where I could do with some clarification.

As I understand it, I would take the front left and right speaker feeds from the OEM amplifier and feed it to the new amp (ideally using some kind of breakout connector so I don't have to cut into anything). I could then use the existing wiring to nicely replace the standard 8 speakers - I'm aiming for quality over volume, but I take it there is some kind of power limit I should be careful of to prevent overloading the wiring?

I also presume I would be better running a new power feed to the amp with suitable gauge wiring?

I'm a bit of a home cinema nerd, but custom car audio is fairly new to me. So, one question I have is what is the benefit of active vs. passive crossovers? The 8/9 channel amps start to elude my budget, however it looks like I can technically get away with a 5 channel amp by using passive crossovers at each door (also giving me future capability of adding a subwoofer). What are the downsides to doing it this way?

Another question I have is - would there be any benefit to trying to replicate the Premium Sound speaker setup, i.e. add a mid-range driver to the front doors and the centre tweeter and woofer, or is a 'good' 8 channel setup more than capable? I guess in this case I would have to consider an amp with a minimum of another three channels.

I keep hearing the Audison APK165 mentioned as a good mid-range tweeter and woofer replacement, but I'm at a bit of a loss about the amplifier. Does anyone have any good suggestions that would fit the bill? I'm probably looking at £300-£600 (the Audison AP5.9 and JBL MS8 seem about 'right').
The Following User Says Thank You to Bromie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 10:55   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

I'm enjoying the interesting sound of the 5 cylinder lump under acceleration more than my toons at the moment!

It's no V8 growler granted but it has a far more interesting off-beat scream than any 4 cylinder diesel.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 09:26   #5
spaceman2844

I did a DIY upgrade with Audison amp and speakers as well as an Eton active subwoofer. Details are in this thread.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288566
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 12:58   #6
RDesign4Life
Master Member

There is talk of new laws to require all new cars to have integrated speed limiters fitted as standard and in addition to retrofit software updates to all vehicles that left the factory with satnav to enable similar speed limiting functionality.

I can see it becoming more popular to replace OEM media units with aftermarket!

Following the introduction of a 112mph speed cap on all new Volvos last year...

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/man...ars-after-2022

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Jul 16th, 2022 at 13:03.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 13:10   #7
Bromie

Hey Spaceman, yes your upgrade was one of the more interesting reads! It actually helped clarify a few things.

Would you be able to answer a few of the questions I had above? For example, is there any benefit to adding mid-range drivers or a centre channel like the Premium Sound, and is there a downside to using passive crossovers?

At the minute my parts list is like this:
- Audison AP5.9
- Audison AP165K 2 Ohm

I would replace all four doors with the above, and using passive crossovers would use four channels on the amp (leaving the fifth for a future addition of a sub).

Does this sound 'sensible'? With the various combinations of speakers and amplifier presets you could go with I'm getting a bit lost in the specifics - should I be keeping it simple with a 8 speaker setup rather than trying to go too clever?
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 15:41   #8
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromie View Post
Hey Spaceman, yes your upgrade was one of the more interesting reads! It actually helped clarify a few things.

Would you be able to answer a few of the questions I had above? For example, is there any benefit to adding mid-range drivers or a centre channel like the Premium Sound, and is there a downside to using passive crossovers?

At the minute my parts list is like this:
- Audison AP5.9
- Audison AP165K 2 Ohm

I would replace all four doors with the above, and using passive crossovers would use four channels on the amp (leaving the fifth for a future addition of a sub).

Does this sound 'sensible'? With the various combinations of speakers and amplifier presets you could go with I'm getting a bit lost in the specifics - should I be keeping it simple with a 8 speaker setup rather than trying to go too clever?
I went for the AP8.9 amp which allows 8 channels at 65w each. I set it up with the channels bound in pairs for the 2 front doors to get 130W for each of the front doors. I used the passive crossovers with the speakers pairs in each of the front doors - this meant that I could use the existing speaker cable pairs to the doors without having to run another pair to each door and it also makes timing and tuning adjustments in the DSP of the amp a bit easier.

I didn't upgrade the rear door speakers (running off channels 5 & 6 of the amp at 65w) The 9th pre-amp level channel is used to power an active Eton USB10 subwoofer.

You can't add a centre speaker as this would need additional processing which the High Performance head unit doesn't have.

I don't have the wiring diagram for the connector I made up using the Parrot harness. I found the wiring diagrams online and worked it out from there. The Audison amp is in the boot floor so there is a fair amount of wiring to and from the original underseat OEM amp.

I used Audison Voce speakers which are more expensive than the APKs. To be honest if I was doing it again I would save the money and buy the APKs - the Voces are slightly too big for the MDF mounts I bought and the mounts needed some adjustment. I think the APKs would fit straight in to the aftermarket OEM mounts as they are a more standard size.

The OEM rear speakers in my XC60 are co-axial 2-ways (I think) - I didn't replace them, but if you did, I presume you would need co-axials to replace.

It's a really great improvement but a bit of work.

Last edited by spaceman2844; Jul 16th, 2022 at 15:44.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 22:33   #9
Bromie

Ah I see, so you bridged the fronts to provide a little more power? I take it your setup is like this:

1 & 2 Front Right 130W
3 & 4 Front Left 130W
5 Rear Right 65W
6 Rear Left 65W
9 Sub Out

Is that correct? I'm assuming then that you didn't bridge the rears because you didn't want to exceed the OEM speaker's max. power?

I've also just realised from what you've said - the front speakers actually only have one pair of wires to each door, and a crossover (or huge capacitor!) splits the signal between the woofer and tweeter? So if you wanted to run them on individual channels you would have to add one new pair of wires?

It's making more and more sense now

So in question to your response about the centre speaker, it sounds like the Audison amp can't produce channels that don't exist? So it isn't like Pro Logic II where I could use two high level speaker outputs from the OEM amp and the Audison could create however many channels I have connected (four in this case)? I have to input as many channels as I want output? Although I assume I could still replicate the mid-woofers like the Premium Sound, as this is just using a second crossover to split the woofer into two effectively?

The reason I ask is because I've noticed a lot of installers don't seem too bothered about the rear channel, which I assume is for a reason. I'll have to confirm about the rear speakers - it's an 8 channel system so was under the impression that each door had a woofer and tweeter but I'll have to pull a panel off and confirm whether they're in fact coaxial.

One more thing - Pro Logic II, Logic7, etc., doesn't seem to be very common in aftermarket amps. Is anyone aware of any that include this? I know the 'surround sound' is a subjective thing, but I happen to have liked the immersion from my V40 with Premium Sound and XC40 with Harmon Kardon (I listen to all kinds of music, including movie soundtracks, which is where this type of system was really suited).
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 07:20   #10
Easington
Master Member

Sorry I haven't been on for a few days.

Not sure if it helps but I had a 4 channel Alpine amp in a previous car.

I used two channels (left and right) for the front 2 doors, disconnected the rear doors then bridged the other 2 channels of the amp for a sub in the boot.

Sounded great!