Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coil Spring Corrosion

Views : 1377

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:52   #1
Craig S

Default Coil Spring Corrosion

Quick question. I have a 2017 Volvo V40, around 20 months ago, the offside front coil spring snapped, and was replaced under warranty as I had bought the car from a main dealer.

Yesterday, the nearside front coil spring snapped and skewered the tyre. The car has been recovered to the local main dealer (who replaced the offside spring) and I have just had a phonecall to say that they need to replace both the Nearside and Offside front coil springs as the nearside spring is broken but the offside spring is badly corroded.

I was advised by the dealer today that if one spring breaks, both springs should be replaced at the same time.

So a couple of obvious questions.....

1 - Should both springs have been replaced under warranty 20 months ago if that is standard practice?

2 - Am I being unreasonable to expect a coil spring to remain corrosion resistant for more than 20 months/16,000 miles?

Or is this "you need to replace the other spring" just blatant upselling?
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:01   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
Quick question. I have a 2017 Volvo V40, around 20 months ago, the offside front coil spring snapped, and was replaced under warranty as I had bought the car from a main dealer.

Yesterday, the nearside front coil spring snapped and skewered the tyre. The car has been recovered to the local main dealer (who replaced the offside spring) and I have just had a phonecall to say that they need to replace both the Nearside and Offside front coil springs as the nearside spring is broken but the offside spring is badly corroded.

I was advised by the dealer today that if one spring breaks, both springs should be replaced at the same time.

1 - Should both springs have been replaced under warranty 20 months ago if that is standard practice?

2 - Am I being unreasonable to expect a coil spring to remain corrosion resistant for more than 20 months/16,000 miles?

Suspension coil spring breaking is becoming more common these days as time goes by they could make springs last for life up until the the mid 1990's then something changed. maybe the same thing that makes brake disks rust like hell these days, lack of chromium in the material ? never heard of a new V40 spring breaking yet let alone 2 on the same car apart from this one. Maybe there is some problem with a recent batch.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 10:46   #3
Craig S

I'm just wondering whether this is something that I should be raising with Volvo Customer Services.

Less than 24 months of use from a coil spring seems poor quality parts being used, or as you suggest, a bad batch of springs...... either way it's not a good look.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 12:02   #4
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Both my front springs have broken on my 54,000 mile 2017 D4 R design Nav Pro. How can I find out what spring length I need? Is it sports chassis or standard on an R Design? "sports" is, i think, 288mm spring length?

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 12:19   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboc2004 View Post
Both my front springs have broken on my 54,000 mile 2017 D4 R design Nav Pro. How can I find out what spring length I need? Is it sports chassis or standard on an R Design? "sports" is, i think, 288mm spring length?
your volvo parts dept will be able to get the correct spring type from the chassis code.
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 15:13   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post

I was under the impression that springs should be replaced in pairs, as the car can become lopsided just replacing one. If they did that in the first place, the likelihood of the other spring failing would have been reduced. I would certainly question why they only replaced one spring the first time around, as they said themselves they should be replaced in pairs?

Springs breaking in less than two years seems excessive, but the roads today are poor and suspension systems take a beating on a daily basis. Even still, I wouldn't expect broken springs in such a short period of time... unless you make a habit of driving into pot holes. Lol.
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 22:42   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I was under the impression that springs should be replaced in pairs, as the car can become lopsided just replacing one. If they did that in the first place, the likelihood of the other spring failing would have been reduced. I would certainly question why they only replaced one spring the first time around, as they said themselves they should be replaced in pairs?

Springs breaking in less than two years seems excessive, but the roads today are poor and suspension systems take a beating on a daily basis. Even still, I wouldn't expect broken springs in such a short period of time... unless you make a habit of driving into pot holes. Lol.
Yes it is shocking, they cant seem to make springs properly anymore, this never happened before about the year 2000. This isn't just volvo its a problem for all manufacturers. You wouldn't change both springs on a car so new, they don't generally sag. The only reason a garage would change a pair is to cover themselves so they don't have to do the job for free if the other side does go.