Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

diy usable red tails (nonpurist content)

Views : 1532

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2009, 15:34   #1
lizardking

Default diy usable red tails (nonpurist content)

I decided i like the older look of red tail lights but did not want red indicators for obvious reasons,so I thought i'd try this out
not lit

lit(indicator at bottom)

I tinted the indicators with red tail light tint and then put the indicator in the reverse light hole and used the top spaces as extra brake lights, I'm going to fab up some reverse lights within the same space as the indicators are now later,what do you guys think?
good and bad comments welcome and I know I'm detracting from the original but the extra brakelights may save me from a shunt and it's legal
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 16:19   #2
222s
Amazoniste

TBH, I doubt that extra brake lights there will help much - a high level inside the back window would be much more effective imho, as that will be much more in the vision angle of the driver behind, especially when in heavy traffic & they're in a van / MPV / 4x4 whose high bonnet line might obscure the Amazon's taillights. High level brake light kits are normally less than £30 & if fitted well, the slim line ones can be quite discreet.

Btw, I recall reading elsewhere that for red indicator lenses, green bulbs will flash orange. Haven't tried this though, but if it is true, imho that would be a much neater & easier solution than also adding an extra accessory reverse light.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 17:34   #3
lizardking

I looked at green bulbs back when I had a probe with us spec rear lights,in fact a few people did,in theory it will work but you need a very bright green light to do it even with very high intensity leds the result seemed poor at best would be good to see it working though,
I'm definitely not adding an accessory reverse light as I agree they look horrible what I'm looking at doing is tandem mounting bulbs inside where I now have indicators so the indicator uses the orange bulb and the reverse uses white bulbs,
thanks for the reply
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 19:53   #4
asneddon
Master Member

Looks good. I like the look a lot to be honest.
Is there room to fit two bulbs in the clear bit? If there is then thats a great allround solution. Otherwise it might be possible to get a light into the number plate light fitting. Im not sure how it would look, but if you cut two rectangular holes to the side of the volvo sign, then fit perspex covers flush it might look factory.

If there is room for two bulbs in the indicators, then that will probably be better though.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 20:03   #5
Alf ista
Premier Member

I wouldnt have a problem with that mod, although I can see how the strict purist might. If it works and the lense looks much the same then why not. It could easily be changed back at a later date if needed. I agree about the high middle brake light, I personally think they have no place in a vintage car, it would look all wrong. But then I dont like the look of a modern radio in a classic either. So, I suppose I am a semi-purist. A pick & mix one you could say... Anyway, I like it, another option would be to fit a separate reversing light below the bumper, a nice chrome one maybe.
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 22:55   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Default Optimizing Brakelights...revisited.

lk;

...more visual impact of the brakelights is good, but how good does directional indicator come through when brakelight is on?...I fear not very well...which is not so good...also, have you optimized your reflectors and fixtures for optical AND electrical? See:
http://sw-em.com/Amazon_Rear_Light_F...estoration.htm

While we're on the subject...I would prefer additional brakelights discreetly located in the rear window for best visual impact...and an upgrade to an "early acting" mechanical brake light switch if you haven't already, opposed to the "late acting" pressure sensing switch.

Green bulbs behind a Red filter show up orange? An incandescent lamp is a full spectrum emitter...put a green filter on it (or paint envelope green) that allows only the green to pass and be seen, filter that (green light only) some more by putting the lamp behind a red filter, and how much do you think will come through in the end? Right...not much! I advise increased visual impact, not decreased!

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 23:01   #7
loon

i can see what you are saying regarding the third eye break light but i think i would rather see that than another amazon or other classic in a scrap yard due to rear end damage.
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 16:51   #8
johnjp
Master Member

I was planning to incorporate the L.E.D.`s on this site -
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/lights_rear.html
by replacing the rear reflectors with a combination.
Left - reverse/reflector, Right - Fog/reflector.
It is costly but I think would be super coooool, subtle and a fantastic upgrade.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 22:26   #9
lizardking

I'm liking the led idea
here's a better pic of them working

and one of the car just for the hell of it

thanks for the interest and advice so far guys
ps.
Ron it was reading your pages that got me playing with the rear lights,I admire your work sir thank you and keep it up

Last edited by lizardking; Feb 18th, 2009 at 22:30.
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lizardking For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 22:11   #10
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

I sacked off my US lenses after 5 people nearly rammed me up the jacksie coming back through Stoke.

Or perhaps it was because I was in Stoke. They do drive a bit weird down there.