Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2011 Volvo Specifications

Views : 51882

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 10:56   #81
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

The links that you give are to the 2009 and 2010
ranges. I did not include the 2009 2.4D as I had forgotten that they offered it but it is not the 2011 2 litre D3 even though it has the same horsepower.

The 2011 models are not yet shown for the XC60 but you can find the D3 engine if you look under the 2011 S60 which is listed.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...fications.aspx

Last edited by ChrisE; Mar 17th, 2010 at 11:03.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 11:30   #82
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
...but it is not the 2011 2 litre D3 even though it has the same horsepower.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...fications.aspx
I was under the impression that the D3 was a new engine similar to the 2.4D but with a shorter stroke, therefore reducing the capacity to 2.0D. But someone mentioed that the D3 is an old engine used for in Volvo's marine division. I guess the easiest answer is I don't know. There are two many questions that none of us have the definitive answers.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 11:49   #83
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

The problem is Volvo. There is a Volvo Penta marine diesel that is called a D3 and it has changed over the years. As I understand it the current model is a 2 litre alloy 5 cylinder engine and thus likely to be closely related to the new D3 car engine. All this tells us is that the Volvo 5 cylinder diesel engine is tried & tested but that is not much of a surprise anyway! If not then using the same name for 2 totally different engines is just confusing! The marine engine is not the same power as the car engine.

The 2 litre D3 XC60 engine, assuming that it is the same as in the recently announced S60, is just a short stroke version of the 2.4 diesel, but & it is a BIG but, the new engines are Euro 5 emissions engines. Many manufacturers have needed to change things considerably to get euro 5 emissions levels. What Volvo have needed to do is anybody's guess.

As a result I am also not so convinced that the 2011 D5 engine, whist retaining its old performance numbers and its 2.4 litre size, but with lower emissions, won't also have significant differences to the 2010 D5 motor.

As has been said elsewhere emissions limits are driving engine changes at frightening speed & as you say our interpretation is mainly guesswork & supposition at the moment.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:49   #84
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

It seems to me that ourselves and the dealers are none the wiser. I guess we just have to wait and see when Volvo will reveal all. Does not bode well for customers thinking of purchasing a car at the moment, but I am sure the dealers have represented this to Volvo. Glad I am not caught up in all this, but empathise with those who are.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 15:23   #85
jeffo

I really hope Volvo don't shaft us on this one.

I have placed an order for my 2011 car. I waited for the 2011 because the bluetooth is integrated. I just hope they dont decide to increase the price and reduce the spec like it appears they might be.

When ARE they releasing the exact changes to spec/price?
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 15:27   #86
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Volvo help line told me a couple of days ago that they are expecting the Pdf pricelist (which appears to be the definitive document for both price & specification) by the end of the month.

PS What use is bluetooth in a car? This is a serious question as I don't know & don't own a mobile phone.

Last edited by ChrisE; Mar 17th, 2010 at 15:30.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 15:53   #87
jeffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
PS What use is bluetooth in a car? This is a serious question as I don't know & don't own a mobile phone.
Bluetooth in the car is NO USE TO YOU.

How do you survive without a mobile phone?

Having bluetooth built into the car means that I dont have to wear a stupid ear piece when driving. My phone will (hopefully) automatically connect to the car when I get in, and myself and any passengers can have a conversation through the car radio system. for me it is a big feature.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 17:02   #88
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post
Thank you, I guessed as much.

Retired & never felt the need for one. I just cannot understand why people feel the need to talk to so many people so frequently - they must have been really miserable until 10 years or so ago! I enjoy being out of touch!
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 18:53   #89
StewartM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo View Post

Having bluetooth built into the car means that I dont have to wear a stupid ear piece when driving. My phone will (hopefully) automatically connect to the car when I get in, and myself and any passengers can have a conversation through the car radio system. for me it is a big feature.
Perhaps he is a safe driver who DOESN'T use a mobile at all while driving ! ! !

Stewart.
StewartM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 20:32   #90
Aidan Bell

Default Tweaking an order after ordering

Is bluetooth now standard on the S or just SE and above?

I ordered an S but with lots of attachments (including bluetooth), on Feb 17th, and the order was only finally "allowed" to be put through to Volvo last Friday. I have arranged with my dealer, however, to give it a couple more days for the dust to settle and to then consider a complete re-evaluation of my order due to the 2011 changes, almost a complete new order if I want. Reading this thread it seems that other members are "locked" into the orders that they have already placed. But my dealer has asured me that for the first few weeks after an order has gone in it is still possible to make changes to it. Can anyone comment on that?

And Teejay1, I DID order without a test drive (because my dealer couldn't even get hold of a car and i had to order before the end of scrappage!), but when I did finally drive it a few days later I had no regrets at all.
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote