Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

old motorbike question

Views : 1899

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 19:22   #11
heckflosse
Premier Member

I'll let you know
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 19:27   #12
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I have had condenser break down when hot on a 1600 cortina, intermittent fault that would stop the car and often 5 or 10 minuets of standing would see it start and run perhaps for a couple of days. Finally broke down at a traffic lights and rather than potch just fitted the new spare condenser, never had a problem after. Back in the days of points they were changed every service and a spare condenser was always in the box just in case. Pitted points could be taken out and rubbed on the kerb stones to get you home if needed and if done regularly .015" could be accurately judged by eye. A dicky condenser the only option was to change it, a loose condenser could also cause intermittent miss fire.

Paul.
How true, back in 74 I had a Mini 1275 GT which had benefitted from a full 1293 S conversion for Rallying at the hands of a local top class wizard Andy Barton.

In it's day it embarrassed many and yet it was so easy to keep on the money .

High lift cam, LCB manifold, twin su's and everything else to make it a pocket rocket.

Easy to say happy days but I sold it to buy a 72 TR6 and it makes me weep to think that I sold that one when buying a house with the Kamp Kommandant!😢

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 23:32   #13
HankScorpio
Floppy member

I'm blaming you for the fact I've just spent an hour looking for a cb or cg 125 cafe racer project.

The wife doesn't look impressed.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HankScorpio For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 07:15   #14
heckflosse
Premier Member

I never really clicked with bikes, had an rxs100 to learn on then a horribly unreliable slimline Triton which sounded great but left me feeling exhausted after every trip.This Honda is a way for our 16year old to avoid the misery of bus travel.
Though Im sure he'd prefer a hopped up 1293 Mini...
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 08:32   #15
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
had an rxs100 to learn on then.......
Brings back memories that does. Had the same bike as a spotty youth.

Quote:
This Honda is a way for our 16year old to avoid the misery of bus.
Not only that, having navigated the roads early doors on a bike, he'll become a better car driver if or when he migrates to four wheels.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 08:32   #16
HankScorpio
Floppy member

A mini is my dream car.

Ive been looking for a new project as I've nearly finished my current one (as close to finished as projects get anyway, are they ever really finished?)

If your lad isn't already proficient with a spanner, a simple bike like that will be great to learn on..... They're also fairly easy to turn into this (although this is cg, not a cb)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (19.7 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to HankScorpio For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 09:46   #17
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
A mini is my dream car.

Ive been looking for a new project as I've nearly finished my current one (as close to finished as projects get anyway, are they ever really finished?)

If your lad isn't already proficient with a spanner, a simple bike like that will be great to learn on..... They're also fairly easy to turn into this (although this is cg, not a cb)
I wont show him that yet!
The famous pic of the chap at bonneville lying flat on the tank in his swimming trunks for aerodynamics has done enough damage for now.
Waiting for bits to arrive so I can get the beastly thing running properly.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 18:38   #18
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Don't be too mad when he inevitably drops it... He's not a real man until he's dropped a bike.

Just noticed your location. I'm heading to the coast next month, if I see a 16 year old laying on his tank with nothing but pants on, I'll give him a wide birth... Or a smack on the arse on the way past
Old Jun 24th, 2020, 22:45   #19
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
How true, back in 74 I had a Mini 1275 GT which had benefitted from a full 1293 S conversion for Rallying at the hands of a local top class wizard Andy Barton.

In it's day it embarrassed many and yet it was so easy to keep on the money .

High lift cam, LCB manifold, twin su's and everything else to make it a pocket rocket.

Easy to say happy days but I sold it to buy a 72 TR6 and it makes me weep to think that I sold that one when buying a house with the Kamp Kommandant!😢
Nice to see Andy Barton mentioned, he of Newburn Garage, now trading as the Millenium Garage. I believe he was a wizard with Hillman Imps as well.

Q

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 06:29   #20
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone!
It is probably an HT lead fault.
I have ordered coil(which has a built in HT lead}, a new plug, points and condenser. Also the special puller tool to get the flywheel off.
Bits are refreshingly cheap but all that grovelling around on the floor to work on it is a bit like my day job(I'm a chimney sweep).
Regarding electronic ign, I looked into that and it needs a 12v conversion etc which is a bit overkill for an old bike.Otherwise I'd have gone that route without hesitation. Had an Accuspark kit on my old Westminster and that was brilliant. My Rocket 88 is still on points but with MSD and all our 240s are electronic.
The fun we have with our old junk, eh?
Good morn,

Did you manage to fix the Honda - I couldn't see whether you did or not before the thread went off on a Mini tangent (pun intended)?

One of my bikes is of this era (1976 Bloop) and still has the CB/condenser set up. These bikes are so simple, it has to be either fuel or spark. Fuel is easy to check - run it with the fuel cap off to eliminate a vacuum there, see if the line is clear, make sure the petrol is turned on (I've seem people struggle with that in the past) and check the float is working properly in the carburettor - that lot only takes half an hour and eliminates a lot of things.

It must have a spark because it starts - so something is getting hot and failing - the most likely things are the condenser and the coil, but the bits are cheap, so change the points and condenser (cheapest and easiest), if that doesn't work the coil (a little more expensive, but I think you said you had ordered one already).

Do let us know how you get on - bikes are great fun (to work on because they are so simple and easy) and to ride (better than the bus for your son).

Stay safe,

Alan

PS. The flywheel will come off with an ordinary 3 legged puller.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 25th, 2020 at 06:33.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: