Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 XC90 4.4 V8 Gearbox issue at 1700 RPM?

Views : 1913

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:10   #21
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterBruce View Post
Guys the fact is one of the main reasons Volvo discontinued the V8 is because this motor places way too much strain on the rest of the drive train in this vehicle.
Or, just maybe, it was due to the very poor sales performance. Fewer than 300 cars sold into the UK and whilst more in the NA market for which it was originally developed, the XC90 never attained the market share there Volvo were looking for in that class of vehicle.

Quote:
Transmission failures or the development of "issues" with the transmission will virtually be a guarantee for any for the V8's once they hit 100000km/60000miles.
Sorry but that's nonsense. Mine has twice that on the clock and has no such issues. I use it daily and it still drives as well as any of the D5 autos I've ever owned, which also had no gearbox issues well into 150k miles (both were sold still without issue).

Quote:
I've driven 3 different V8's now and they all suffer from the same transmission problems.
I don't doubt it. That problem though, IMHO, is the wetware behind the steering wheel. V8 or D5 aside, if you're the person who:
  • Starts from cold and drives away 3 seconds later
  • Canes the engine and transmission when it hasn't reached full operating temp
  • Uses the accelerator like it's a push button
  • Never anticipates and is constantly going from accelerator to brake
  • Drives it like they've stolen it, all day every day
  • Tows a bungalow sized caravan up a mountain side every weekend

Then you're the person who's going to have transmission problems before anyone else. Or more to the point, more likely the poor s*d who's going to inherit it from you. Of course, you're going to blame the car.

(btw - when I say "you", I'm generalising here, not directing this at you personally HunterBruce. I've obviously no idea about your driving style).

As member Tannaton has phrased it before "good mechnical sympathy" goes a long way. And certainly, with the V8 where there's even more potential for stressing the system with bad behaviours. That's why, again imho, we see such a divided population of XC90 owners on this forum in general - when you're purchasing second-hand (and at this age of vehicle, often 3rd or 4th hand) you're completely at the mercy of the sins of the previous owners when it comes to poor treatment of the mechanicals and/or poor maintenance.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 22:31   #22
HunterBruce

Hi Moose...

Your Generalising point is not taken personally (was close
I agree on ur driving points..
I have these cars from previous owners so not my driving style. I grew up on farms we look after stuff..

The above are not my quotes, they are copies from research I have done.

The valve bodies on '07 and earlier XC90 on V8 used for towing seem to have issues.
Your 07 Sport have you owned it from new? or near new?
Do you tow with it? Great that you are enjoying it.
Have u every changed transmission fluid?

I'm done alot of reading and there is enough info out there .. so say there are some issues..
HunterBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 22:35   #23
HunterBruce

Btw - the above posts for quotes from other forums, apologies if not clarified.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 15:07   #24
HunterBruce

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...nywhere-46671/

Good write up
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 20:47   #25
Moose Test
Master Member

Hello HunterBruce,

I'm into my fourth year of ownership of my V8. I'm the second private owner - first registered keeper was the supplying dealership where it was a manager/dealer principle's demonstrator.

I'd had my eyes open for a V8 for around 18 months, test driving a few, before this one came up on my doorstep (~10 miles). It's not the model, age or colour that I really wanted but I stood by what I said earlier; that the pedigree of older, originally expensive vehicles matters.

The previous owner had purchased it from the original owning dealer and had had it serviced by them every year. They traded it back to the same dealer for a new XC40, who put it back on their forecourt some 12 years later (and sold it to me). It had covered 80k miles when I took it on.

I know that not everyone on this forum raves about Volvo FSH but if nothing else, I take it that on balance of probability, an owner who is still prepared to pay a premium for that on a 12 year old car is likely also one who has not avoided having necessary maintenance and repairs done properly over its lifetime either.

So far, I think that compromise has paid off. Apart from brake pads, tyres, an ABS ring, and a failed steering rack (Servotronic valve had gone but since it was under warranty, the dealer replaced the whole thing), I've not had any issues. And as I said previously, the gearbox and AWD still seem spot-on.

The previous owner hadn't had the gearbox flushed (at least, there were no receipts to suggest it), so I had the dealer do that before I took ownership of it.

I liked my previous D5 also but this is something completely different to drive.
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 13:48   #26
HunterBruce

Yes, its a good car.
If its has had maintenance.

The transmission seems to be the most limiting factor in lifespan, esp. if its been doing towing , hills etc. (Sadly - Still researching ways to maximise and limit such)

All cars have issue sadly.
But its a safe car with loads of space.