Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 827209

Replies : 6281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2021, 08:07   #1441
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I read a lot of this and have the following to contribute.

Excercise real care with EBay. You will sell the car over and over without anyone collecting and there is a lot of junk dumped on there.

Of course there are some good items, but you have to know what you are doing!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 08:07   #1442
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I really don't care whether you want to believe that your own motor car is worth £15,000 after a bit of a polish up, or whether you think a single motor car selling in the USA for £26,000 is representative of the market.

...what their second-hand car dealer mate told them down the pub then that is fine by me.

Alan
You couldn't be further from the truth there Alan. Quite a dumb thing to say.

I agree with your price guide though Alan for ebay, I think its well constructed for ebay sales but I don't think ebay alone represents the entire market and I didn't mean to get under your skin and for you to show your arse like you've just done!

Apologies to all as I've mistaken this thread for a place to talk about 240's in general failing to realise I may rock the boat if anything falls outside the price guide of ebay sales - I shall refrain from now on.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 09:05   #1443
Moomoo
VOC Member

I think the difference in opinion here APPEARS to be the chasm between the price people are willing to pay when an item is offered openly for sale and what customers can be talked into paying by a silver-tongued salesman in a showroom.
The forecourt price of a car that came from the block will and has to be higher than the money payed by the vendor!
I have often bought high mileage fleet cars cheaply, prepared to accept an element of risk.
Many of my friends want a copper-bottomed purchase and are happy pay the premium.

Value and price are dependent on who is buying and who is selling.

I could , of course ,be wrong!

Last edited by Moomoo; Dec 5th, 2021 at 09:08.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 12:09   #1444
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
You couldn't be further from the truth there Alan. Quite a dumb thing to say.

I agree with your price guide though Alan for ebay, I think its well constructed for ebay sales but I don't think ebay alone represents the entire market and I didn't mean to get under your skin and for you to show your arse like you've just done!

Apologies to all as I've mistaken this thread for a place to talk about 240's in general failing to realise I may rock the boat if anything falls outside the price guide of ebay sales - I shall refrain from now on.

jasons. Please do not refrain.

The forum surely is a place such as you say. When our friend Othen was most recently outrageous to what I said, I merely noted toys out of pram. Show your arse in your words is perhaps more accurate.

Re prices, for private sales in particular, I am not convinced by Othen's "guide". And value is another matter again. The data needs to be set out fully and clearly, and how many forum members have the timr &c. to truly peer review the data. Including checking if prices included are truly actual sales.

I suspect Othen's suggested prices might be a tad high ... distorted by too clever by half sellers. I wonder how many sales in Othen's guide are completed at those prices. And he still shows a touching faith in historic status, expressed by him far worse than condescendingly. Pot and kettle come to mind Othen.

Let there be peace ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Dec 5th, 2021 at 12:19.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 12:15   #1445
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I think the difference in opinion here APPEARS to be the chasm between the price people are willing to pay when an item is offered openly for sale and what customers can be talked into paying by a silver-tongued salesman in a showroom.
The forecourt price of a car that came from the block will and has to be higher than the money payed by the vendor!
I have often bought high mileage fleet cars cheaply, prepared to accept an element of risk.
Many of my friends want a copper-bottomed purchase and are happy pay the premium.

Value and price are dependent on who is buying and who is selling.

I could , of course ,be wrong!

Trade sales and private sales are indeed different yes. Different kettles of fish.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 16:29   #1446
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

A 142, never seen one go close to this money before. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...pNAXeu6caSxyYE
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 16:41   #1447
don kalmar union
Trader

Default USA 242 turbo., and an LHD 242

Recently a 242 turbo in good order was sold in the USA for around $26,000 from memory.

The 242 LHD UK car recently on ebay did not reach its reserve but I understand went for £4,300 plus, negotiated after the auction closed....

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 17:06   #1448
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
Recently a 242 turbo in good order was sold in the USA for around $26,000 from memory.

The 242 LHD UK car recently on ebay did not reach its reserve but I understand went for £4,300 plus, negotiated after the auction closed....

Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
A 142, never seen one go close to this money before. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...pNAXeu6caSxyYE
Very nice but they're all in the USA where they have a higher pereception of secondhand value. This particularly applies to cars and they are more accpeting of paying for the work that has gone into the cars to bring them to that standard, even if it has been a labour of love.
If i was in the market for a 142, i'd wait for a genuine UK model or at the very least, a RHD import from South Africa, Cyprus, Japan, Australia, NZ etc.

Living where i live, a secondhand sales site is seemingly useful to me. Primarily designed for USAF to trade items around the world but with many UK members on the UK sites, the prices are often listed in US$ but they will accept GB £ most of the time.
However, many of the things are sold at a price higher than we can buy the correct UK spec items for new. This apparently is still a good used price for the USA people.

http://lakenheath.bookoo.com/

If anyone is interested, feel free to have a look, especially at the cars for price differences! Some are pretty amazing!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 06:00   #1449
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This second auction ended up at £5,700, still not meeting its reserve. I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the highest bidder in both this and the first auction was a shill one - being the same account (the anonymised eBay name having exactly the same score).

This looked like quite a nice motor car, but its failure to reach the reserve twice (in spite of a bit of shill assistance) does rather confirm my theory that 240s top out at £6,000.

I wonder whether we’ll see this motor car for sale again? I can’t help thinking that if the highest bid had been genuine the seller would have accepted it.

Alan
The seller is having a third attempt, the first auction got to £5,100, the second to £5,700 (reserve not me in both instances). This time bidding is at £2,300 with quite a while to go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304253608...53.m1438.l2649

It looks like a nice motor car - but again I think there are very few 240s (even extremely good ones) that make more than £6,000 at public auction; I know there are some that disagree with me, but the market speaks loudest.

After a while it looks a little bit daft putting the same motor car through the strainer again and again.

Ho hum.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 06:18   #1450
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Very nice but they're all in the USA where they have a higher pereception of secondhand value. This particularly applies to cars and they are more accpeting of paying for the work that has gone into the cars to bring them to that standard, even if it has been a labour of love.
If i was in the market for a 142, i'd wait for a genuine UK model or at the very least, a RHD import from South Africa, Cyprus, Japan, Australia, NZ etc.

Living where i live, a secondhand sales site is seemingly useful to me. Primarily designed for USAF to trade items around the world but with many UK members on the UK sites, the prices are often listed in US$ but they will accept GB £ most of the time.
However, many of the things are sold at a price higher than we can buy the correct UK spec items for new. This apparently is still a good used price for the USA people.

http://lakenheath.bookoo.com/

If anyone is interested, feel free to have a look, especially at the cars for price differences! Some are pretty amazing!
I think the difference in costs between here and the USA is just down to varying exchange rates Dave. I lived and worked in Virginia from 2005-2008, at that time the exchange rate was $2 to the pound, today it is 1.31, and it has been down to 1.16 in the meantime. Our internal economies don't change so quickly, so it appears that things are much more expensive in the US at the moment.

When I lived in Va everything appeared to be very cheap to Brits - about half price. One of my last acts was to buy myself a new Triumph Scrambler, which cost me $7,500 (so £3,750) - exactly the same motorcycle in the UK at the time was £7,000. The government shipped the bike back for me, kindly didn't charge me any tax and I still have it in the garage.

At the moment the converse is true: at $1.32=£1 things seem cheap to Americans here.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 6th, 2021 at 06:20. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: