Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Info Required

Views : 1002

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2024, 19:37   #1
Clive12

Default Tyre Info Required

Hi Guys

I’m after some tyre info, I need a new set of them.
I’m talking about a Volvo V70 SE Lux D5 2.4L year 2014.

I’ve looked in the owner’s manual on page 310, 311 and 312 which is more than useless.
All it does is list the speed ratings Q through to Y not that we would be able to drive at such speeds and there’s absolutely nothing about what load rating should be used given the car weight and size.

What was on the car when I bought it are 235/40 R18 95Y.
Iv'e had a look on the back of a rim and stamped on it is 8Jx18H2x55

I’m not bothered about low profile tyres, I'm looking for an all season (4 season tyre) and something which isn’t going transmit every little imperfection in the road.

Obviously, something the insurance company will be pleased about, I don’t want them tearing their hair out or leave a loop hole for them should the unthinkable happen.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what would suitable and reasonably hard wearing as far as tyres go?

Thanks

Clive

Last edited by Clive12; May 13th, 2024 at 19:43.
Clive12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2024, 23:06   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive12 View Post
Hi Guys

I’m after some tyre info, I need a new set of them.
I’m talking about a Volvo V70 SE Lux D5 2.4L year 2014.

I’ve looked in the owner’s manual on page 310, 311 and 312 which is more than useless.
All it does is list the speed ratings Q through to Y not that we would be able to drive at such speeds and there’s absolutely nothing about what load rating should be used given the car weight and size.

What was on the car when I bought it are 235/40 R18 95Y.
Iv'e had a look on the back of a rim and stamped on it is 8Jx18H2x55

I’m not bothered about low profile tyres, I'm looking for an all season (4 season tyre) and something which isn’t going transmit every little imperfection in the road.

Obviously, something the insurance company will be pleased about, I don’t want them tearing their hair out or leave a loop hole for them should the unthinkable happen.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what would suitable and reasonably hard wearing as far as tyres go?

Thanks

Clive
Those ultra low profile tyres you have are meant for those particular ultra wide rims. If you want some "taller " tyres you will need the rims to go with them to get the same rolling circumference. you should never let the tyre pressures go below 38 psi with the tyres you have on it now. The accessory catalogue lists the available alternatives..
Old May 14th, 2024, 08:39   #3
simboc2004
SimboC2004

My 2011 D3 runs R18 x 8J rims (Odysseus) with 245/40 profile tyres - the reduction to 235 width on all V70s from mid 2014 was probably to improve fuel economy, it certainly wasn't to improve grip! Interestingly, C70 mk2s ran 235 width tyres on 8" rims all through their existence. So you could run 245 width if you wanted. It's strange how certain tyre width/profiles have many more tyre options available.

I swapped to Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres (all season) this winter and they were excellent in the mud that covers my rural route to work and the odd hard frost morning. They are noisier and do handle less well on dry, warm roads. I have now picked up (a £100 bargain) another set of wheels (Cratus) - the same size as my others - to fit summer tyres on. My preferred summer tyres, after 50,000 miles of experiments, are Bridgestone Potenza S001 MO (Mercedes Option). The MO bit is critical, as there are at least 3 versions of the same tyre available and the MO is by far the best for wear. They are much quieter than others I have tried - and less prone to tram-lining. Remember that dB noise ratings are not a linear increase scale. so 72dB is a lot noisier than 70dB, for example. Most tyre manufacturers reckon that the range 67-71dB equates to quieter tyres. According to Goodyear a 3dB increase in a tyre rating equals a doubling of external tyre noise...

I find the Black Circles website pretty good for tyre comparison purposes, though I have my tyres provided and fitted by a mobile tyre fitter as that suits me better.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.

Last edited by simboc2004; May 14th, 2024 at 08:51.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2024, 08:50   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

I'm running 245/40 R18 allseasons on my 8x18" Volvo rims.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 08:53   #5
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Which tyres? And how do you find them? I love the Michelin Cross Climate 2s in the winter, but not so much on dry summer roads. The other benefit of them is that they are 3 Peak rated, so usable in the French mountains in the winter for skiing trips

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2024, 15:53   #6
Clive12

Hi Clan thanks for your reply

(You said those ultra low profile tyres you have are meant for those particular ultra wide rims.
If you want some "taller " tyres you will need the rims to go with them to get the same rolling circumference. you should never let the tyre pressures go below 38 psi with the tyres you have on it now. The accessory catalogue lists the available alternatives..)

Clan, what should the normal rim size be for the normal size tyre for the car I have or isn’t there a normal?

To be honest I wasn’t looking to change the rims as well as the tyres because of the cost, plus the rims are in pretty good nick so I guess I will have to work with rims I have.

I assume you mean by rolling circumference, you are referring to the fact it could change the speedo reading and tripmeter mileage reading, plus a shed load of other stuff if I don’t get things right?

Also, thanks for the lowdown on the tyre pressures, all I’ve been putting in them is 230 kpa (33 psi) front and 210 kpa (30 psi) rear as per the owner’s manual page 397, good thing they were pretty much shot when I bought the car.

My master plan was to buy a good brand of all season tyre and then get them fitted, its sometimes cheaper than going to a place who sell and fit tyres.

Simboc2004 has said he is running around on 245/40 tyres on R18 x 8J rims, I don’t even know if that’s ok or not as I said I need them to be something the insurance companies are happy with.

Its very much looking like I will have to go to a supply and fit this time around because I don’t know what I’m doing, well short of sticking the same type of tyre back on.
Old May 14th, 2024, 16:19   #7
Clive12

Simboc and Daim

Thank you both for your replies, you are both running 245/40 R18 so hopefully I can do the same.

I’ve been looking at the review on https://www.autoexpress.co.uk and Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 seems favourable.

I know one can’t buy an all season tyre that’s going to be brilliant in all conditions, I’m just trying to get something which will be good enough for the UK climate, plus I can’t be bothered with having to change tyres between winter and summer.
If the weather gets that bad, I’ll just use an Isuzu Trooper and leave the Volvo at home.
Old May 14th, 2024, 17:30   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive12 View Post
Hi Clan thanks for your reply

(You said those ultra low profile tyres you have are meant for those particular ultra wide rims.
If you want some "taller " tyres you will need the rims to go with them to get the same rolling circumference. you should never let the tyre pressures go below 38 psi with the tyres you have on it now. The accessory catalogue lists the available alternatives..)

Clan, what should the normal rim size be for the normal size tyre for the car I have or isn’t there a normal?

To be honest I wasn’t looking to change the rims as well as the tyres because of the cost, plus the rims are in pretty good nick so I guess I will have to work with rims I have.

I assume you mean by rolling circumference, you are referring to the fact it could change the speedo reading and tripmeter mileage reading, plus a shed load of other stuff if I don’t get things right?

Also, thanks for the lowdown on the tyre pressures, all I’ve been putting in them is 230 kpa (33 psi) front and 210 kpa (30 psi) rear as per the owner’s manual page 397, good thing they were pretty much shot when I bought the car.

My master plan was to buy a good brand of all season tyre and then get them fitted, its sometimes cheaper than going to a place who sell and fit tyres.

Simboc2004 has said he is running around on 245/40 tyres on R18 x 8J rims, I don’t even know if that’s ok or not as I said I need them to be something the insurance companies are happy with.

Its very much looking like I will have to go to a supply and fit this time around because I don’t know what I’m doing, well short of sticking the same type of tyre back on.
If you look at the inside of the front of the B-pillar on the driver's side, there is a label near the bottom.

On my 2014 V70 D4 and also on my good lady's 2018 S60 D4, the label shows the tyre size and tyre pressures for the original factory-fitted main wheels and also for the spare wheel.

I suspect that you need to consider that information as definitive.
Old May 14th, 2024, 19:00   #9
Clive12

Sotosound thank you for your reply,

I've just been and looked in the car, you're bang on.
There is a label which gives the tyre size and states a speed of km/h 0-160

I don't if 160 km/h represents the top speed?

But it still dosen't give the load rating ie something like 95Y for example, any ideas on how I can find that out.

I have to be honest this is the first car I've bought where all of tyre information both size and rating is not specified in the owner manual.

Thank you once again, at least I'm getting a bit nearer to sorting it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clive12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 20:50   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

The table shows comfort settings or light load, which is 33psi in the front and 30psi in the back. Then the maximum speed you can do at that pressure.

If you have a heavy load or a car full of passengers, you should run eco pressures (38psi). Although, 38psi is the recommended pressure for fuel economy and tyre wear. Personally, its too harsh for me. I prefer a softer ride.

As for the correct tyre you should use on an 18” alloy. It should be…

245/40ZR18 96Y 8Jx18 rim ET55 offset.

So Y rated tyres are what you should have.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 14th, 2024 at 21:05.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: