Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to get to the brake light switch?

Views : 1206

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 16:10   #1
IanFerguson

Question How to get to the brake light switch?

My brake lights aren't working on my 440. I've checked the bulbs and the fuse, and they're OK. There's 12V getting to the fuse, so the next thing to check is the switch. The Haynes manual has a little drawing that makes it look easy, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to it without being a contortionist or taking the whole dashboard assembly apart. Anybody managed to do it?
IanFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 17:03   #2
GTMaster

I agree, it's very tricky since i had to change mine a while back but after having to mess about with it twice(!) it was easy in the end.
First, there's a cover under the dashboard over the pedals (three plastic knobs hold it). After removing it you have to reach up where the brake pedal is and feel around for the switch which is directly above the pedal. You might find it easier reaching up without lying under the dash. Take the two wires off it, then twist the switch i think anti clockwise then pull it up. If the plastic ring that holds the switch falls out then you'll have to put that back in the metal bracket as well, which is fiddly.
The switch on my 460 was faulty because the plastic had begun to melt (probably short circuit.) The spring inside the switch may also be a cause of failure.
Put back the new switch into the plastic ring, then turn clockwise to lock into position. You will then have to test whether the distance between the switch and brake pedal is good. Have someone look at the brake light while you push the pedal to see if it lights up at the correct pedal travel. (You can also check yourself by folding down the rear seat, take out the light cluster and turn it towards the cockpit. You'll be able to see the bulb light up in the mirror or if you turn around). If the distance isn't good, then just twist the switch anti clockwise pull or push the switch up or down till desired then lock again.
It's good if the brake lights light up after approx. 10-15mm pedal travel (or if you can move the car then just before the brakes start to lightly brake the wheels.)

Last edited by GTMaster; Jan 17th, 2010 at 18:00.
GTMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 17:24   #3
GTMaster

Hope these help:

3_35_38_14.JPG Bottom picture

3_35_38_15.JPG Top picture
GTMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTMaster For This Useful Post:

Tags
electrical, stop lamp switch