Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Audio question (I know another one!)

Views : 1207

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2014, 22:31   #1
mikester

Default Audio question (I know another one!)

Basically I've got the USB and Aux connections in the centre console, I've also got Bluetooth for making calls. All work fine however I can't for the life of me get my HTC One to play anything over the USB connection. You can't browse any files at all on the cars stereo. The music that plays does so only on the phone speakers.

I've put a USB pen drive in the port with some mp3 files on and this plays beautifully through the car displaying track info without issue.

Two questions I guess...

1. Why can't my the stereo play my sound from my phone?
2. What parts/module is needed to enable Bluetooth streaming instead of hard-wiring the phone to the car?

I've read numerous threads about this and I don't believe the people asking had the stereo I have, is mine the premium one?? It has a centre speaker and DYNaudio (or similar) badged on it, however there is no logo that says "high performance sound" when the stereo turns on... I'm not sure.

Any light shed on these matters would greatly be received.
mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 09:16   #2
mattievrs
Master Member

The htc will have a different file hierarchy than the usb so the car won't read it sadly and isn't designed to be a "hard wired" usb. It'll play through the aux no problem.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 09:30   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
Basically I've got the USB and Aux connections in the centre console, I've also got Bluetooth for making calls. All work fine however I can't for the life of me get my HTC One to play anything over the USB connection. You can't browse any files at all on the cars stereo. The music that plays does so only on the phone speakers.

I've put a USB pen drive in the port with some mp3 files on and this plays beautifully through the car displaying track info without issue.

Two questions I guess...

1. Why can't my the stereo play my sound from my phone?
2. What parts/module is needed to enable Bluetooth streaming instead of hard-wiring the phone to the car?

I've read numerous threads about this and I don't believe the people asking had the stereo I have, is mine the premium one?? It has a centre speaker and DYNaudio (or similar) badged on it, however there is no logo that says "high performance sound" when the stereo turns on... I'm not sure.

Any light shed on these matters would greatly be received.
bluetooth streaming is only on very recent volvos ...
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 07:40   #4
kerrgreg

Bluetooth streaming requires a specific bluetooth codec and version for each device, IE the phone and the radio.

That would be why.
kerrgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 16:18   #5
Londonpride
VOC Member

I've just started playing music from my phone through the car system, yesterday in fact. After research the only way this could be done is if you have the feature BT in the display. Eg CD Aux USB BT. (This may not be the correct order as I am completing this away from the car.)
From my understanding for the C30 BT only became available on 2012 onwards. Thus if you fall into the BT category, I connected my phone to the USB and selected bluetooth on my phone and connected it to the car. I then selected the BT option from the display then selected the required track from the phone. All done, can be controlled from the dash or steering wheel controls. I connected it the USB for charging purposes. Hope this helps?
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 17:40   #6
mikester

So would you need the appropriate bluetooth receiver, update to stereo and update the vehicle software to get bluetooth streaming?

It was that simple in my last car you just needed to find someone who knew what they were doing software wise.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 17:55   #7
Londonpride
VOC Member

I'm not certain what would be required, I know some mobiles are not compatible with the sound system, you can check this on the Volvo website as to whether yours would be and I am aware that some phones which have been updated to a later operating system are not no longer fully usable. A check with your local Volvo dealer may assist however I found out most of my information from the C30 crew website, worth submitting a thread and see what comes back. Good luck.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 20:47   #8
Darranna
VOC Member

The easiest way to achieve what you're after is to buy a bluetooth receiver like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Bluetooth-Streaming-Receiver-Smartphone/dp/B00GTJMKSQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1407181359&sr=8-12&keywords=bluetooth+receiver plug it into the aux socket in the armrest and connect your phone to that bluetooth device. make sure you set the bluetooth setting in your phone so that this device is set for audio and the phone one in the car is set for calls only.

I have it set this way in my C70 and it works perfectly.
Darranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 22:25   #9
mikester

Was hoping to have the use of the steering wheel controls but not looking promising.

Is there a similar device to the one you've posted darranna in USB form? I'm conscious of the inability of the stereo aux to support the surround function.
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 22:19   #10
jeffmasson

If you want to use your phone on the usb you need to set your phone's usb to the correct mode. You should have a few different modes one is pc/sync mode and is normally defult setting you need to change it to media player or file storage mode and the car will just thinks it's a normal usb stick.