Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

t5 auto

Views : 352

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 12:48   #1
robinbanks

Default t5 auto

Hi everyone. I have recently been driving a 2002 v7 t5 auto with 110,000 miles on the clock and been having the issue with flaring occasionally. I have flushed the gearbox and replaced the B4 servo cover and still have a slight issue with flaring when the engine is hot, next step is, I think solenoids. I have never owned an auto before, so forgive me if I am being dumb, but when driving, the revs are constantly rising and lowering depending on throttle position / load and conditions, this is more apparent when towing. In the past I have driven a police spec t5 that showed a lot more urgency, obviously the engine was more lively, but the gearbox too seemed to drive more positively without that"slipping" the clutch feeling. I would very much like to keep the nice smooth feeling that driving this car gives me, but is there anything that can be done to maybe make the take up of the gearbox a bit less laid back?
robinbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 17:28   #2
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

sounds like you might have an ETM issue.

try testing that in VIDA first.

But with regards to the gearbox you need to flush the living day lights out of it.

what quantity have you flushed so far?

I would say you need to do 12L minimum, IE two sump and dumps (7L) plus 5 litres worth of gibbons (flush) method
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 13:24   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

+1 on getting your codes read competently. bb's thought re ETM may be spot on.

Details about the "flush", please, and did you do the work yourself?
A drain & fill can be called a flush and a shop may do just that once and want to see a problematic customer off.

With clean fluid, add a bottle of LubeGard (red bottle).
It's a good product and smart to do before resorting to valve body replacement.
I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I added it to my '02 V70. Prior to that I had a TCM reflash at a Volvo dealer.
I don't sell the stuff nor do I believe in mechanics-in-a-can. LG works for many.

Here's a link to an Amazon listing so you can se it. I can't upload photos to this site.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZAJRM...osi&th=1&psc=1
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2020, 10:13   #4
robinbanks

Hi. Many thanks for the replies, sorry for not getting back Sooner I didn't have my phone with me. To answer your questions about the gearbox flush, it was done about 1,000 miles ago, I did this myself and used nearly 20 ltrs in all, it had a good flush out. The fluid that came out was in need of being changed as expected, but not overly bad. I will get the codes read professionally and get back to you about the outcome of that.
George and kira... That lubegard looks like good stuff, when you used it, what size bottle did you use?
robinbanks is offline   Reply With Quote