Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hydrogen powered 240

Views : 4695

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:02   #21
mingmongmang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
I'd love to add this to my car... if its true, which I have serious doubts over, but i'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Regarding the link that says that it takes the same amount of energy to split the water and extract the hydrogen as the hydrogen yields when burnt in the engine (hence there is no energy gain) surely much of the energy released when burning petrol in the engine is wasted, mainly through heat but also the alternator is still spinning, and potentially generating electricity to charge the battery, wether its needed or not, hence this wasted energy can be used to split water atoms and gain hydrogen.... just my theory as a layman!
As you said is it takes as much energy to separate H20 as you can ever recoup from it. There's no getting around it.

So... You'd recoup the lost heat energy from the engine, convert it to electricity (steam turbine powered generator maybe), use the electricity to convert water to hydrogen/oxygen then convert the hydrogen/oxygen into kinetic energy using the (combustion) engine. Problem is, everywhere you see the word 'convert' there's energy loss involved so you'd be better off skipping the hydrogen steps altogether and just connecting that steam turbine directly to the wheels.
I guess the point I'm making is using energy to separate out hydrogen/oxygen then recombining to get your energy back gains you absolutely nothing.

There are loads of websites out there claiming inventions that get free energy from water but it simply defies physics.

(Sorry OP but I don't believe your figures)
mingmongmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:00   #22
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Have you read the whole thread???

The point is that you get a combustable gas which propels the car.
The cost of the propellant is almost zero, never mind the input of electric energie.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 16:47   #23
mingmongmang

yes I thought I read the whole thread, did I miss something?

How do you obtain the combustible gas (hydrogen right?) for almost nothing???
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 16:48   #24
brodgar
I've Been Banned

you pay almost nothing for the water
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 17:05   #25
mingmongmang

But the energy (electricity) required to split the water molecules to get your hydrogen is less than the energy (heat) you get back from burning it. If it were more, you'd have yourself perpetual motion!

Look at it another way:
It takes horsepower to spin the alternator to make the electricity.
You then use the electricity to make hydrogen.
You then burn the hydrogen to make horsepower.
If the whole process gave a net gain in energy, you have perpetual motion. If it gives a net loss, you've wasted your time.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 04:52   #26
brodgar
I've Been Banned

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

we are not runing a perpetual mobile, we are running a car cheaper on water
than on petrol. CAPRICE????
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 07:50   #27
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_taddei2 View Post
hi i have recently converted my 240 gl to run on hydrogen (with alittle petrol of course) havent driven it long enough to so how many miles i get to the tank, but the guy who fitted it reckons 60+ mpg, i hope so with the current fuel prices, if people are interested in photos etc then i will post some on site, the fuel distributor had to be turned down so low the mechanic that did it was very impressed how far he could turn it down, normally it wasnt possible for a car to be turned down so low with conking out. also will keep you updated on any pros and cons. has anyone else done something similar????? or please share your views

dom
Hlooking at all the positives and negatives here.....has it actually worked for you Dom? have you noticed any changes? Fuel efficiency or otherwise? There's overwhelming evidence based on scientific fact to suggest it doesn't work. Interested to hear about practical firsthand experience on this.
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 10:54   #28
popuptoaster
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingmongmang View Post
But the energy (electricity) required to split the water molecules to get your hydrogen is less than the energy (heat) you get back from burning it. If it were more, you'd have yourself perpetual motion!

Look at it another way:
It takes horsepower to spin the alternator to make the electricity.
You then use the electricity to make hydrogen.
You then burn the hydrogen to make horsepower.
If the whole process gave a net gain in energy, you have perpetual motion. If it gives a net loss, you've wasted your time.

Just give up mate, I have had this conversation on other forums, despite the impossibility of it, these people refuse to believe they have paid out money and are getting nothing back, in fact because of the extra weight the MPG often gets worse.

In my experience, they post as soon as the kit is fitted about how wonderful it is and then won't backtrack even after a few weeks when they realise they have been conned.

Just let em get on with it, or maybe "invent" an addon that increases power as well?

New hydroboost control!

Increases horsepower by up to 20% by improving the thermalicity of your water, allows more hydrogen to be produced as the speed the electricity can pass through water is increased, resulting in faster hydrogen conversion and extra engine horsepower!

Just build a box with a red light on it and some wires and an elemnet to dangle in the water, write a website with some fake letters from people agreeing it works and sit back and make a fortune.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 15:29   #29
mingmongmang

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post

Priceless
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 15:45   #30
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar View Post

congratulations you have earnt yourself an "ignore user" for yet Again being a utter (please choose your Own words here)