Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Battery Message

Views : 14648

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2020, 13:58   #61
avrovulcan

I have just replaced the battery this morning.

The Start/Stop is still showing as unavailable, I haven't driven the car yet, though I have checked it does start. I presume once the car as been driven a while it will become active again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynh View Post

"If you replace the main AGM you must reset the BMS computer. "

Quote:
"The battery monitor automatically resets when the battery is disconnected ... It then goes to a mid point to a best guess for a good battery , then re adapts to the correct data quite quickly ...
That is why stop start will work if you take the battery off or fit a new one but will stop working as soon as the battery monitor has adapted to the real data .."

So, do I have to reset the battery monitor or not? I don't have access to VIDA.
avrovulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 16:02   #62
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrovulcan View Post
I have just replaced the battery this morning.

The Start/Stop is still showing as unavailable, I haven't driven the car yet, though I have checked it does start. I presume once the car as been driven a while it will become active again?

So, do I have to reset the battery monitor or not? I don't have access to VIDA.

Why is the stop start unavailable ?can you read the causes of which there are around 10 ! including at low ambient temperatures anywhere below about 5C , some of the models display the reason in the menu system .the stop start would have worked if it were a battery problem as fitting a new battery would reset the battery monitor anyway as I explained . try driving it around for a few days first..
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 16:36   #63
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I believe that part of the BMS reset procedure is to leave the car locked for an extended/overnight period?
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 17:42   #64
avrovulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Why is the stop start unavailable ?can you read the causes of which there are around 10 ! including at low ambient temperatures anywhere below about 5C , some of the models display the reason in the menu system .the stop start would have worked if it were a battery problem as fitting a new battery would reset the battery monitor anyway as I explained . try driving it around for a few days first..
The stop/start has never worked since we bought the car in July this year. We kept getting the 'battery low' message on the dash.

Quite often the electric tailgate wouldn't open/close electronically until we had driven the car around for a bit and then it would open/close fine, but only for several times with the engine off and then we would get the battery low message and it wouldn't operate, also if we used the infotainment with the engine off, it would display battery low after less than 5 mins of use.

I don't think the battery was holding enough charge, no matter how long we drove the car for, after a few days of short journeys we would get the low battery message. so we assumed the battery was also the cause of the stop/start not operating as we have found out it won't operate if the battery level is too low.

I'll give it a few days and see it it re-activates.

Last edited by avrovulcan; Nov 7th, 2020 at 17:44.
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 18:15   #65
scbamber

Another possibility is that the new battery you fitted this morning was itself not charged enough to get the Stop/Start working, especially if it had been sitting on a shelf for some time at the shop or motor factors. In that case you'd expect it to have lost some charge naturally. It does not mean it's a faulty battery, just that it needs charging first to get it back up to full charge - not unusual.

Anyway, lock it up overnight, and you may find that all is OK in the morning. If S/S is not working tomorrow, then either charge the battery with a charger or by driving the car for a few days.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 18:26   #66
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
The stop/start has never worked since we bought the car in July this year. We kept getting the 'battery low' message on the dash.

Quite often the electric tailgate wouldn't open/close electronically until we had driven the car around for a bit and then it would open/close fine, but only for several times with the engine off and then we would get the battery low message and it wouldn't operate, also if we used the infotainment with the engine off, it would display battery low after less than 5 mins of use.

I don't think the battery was holding enough charge, no matter how long we drove the car for, after a few days of short journeys we would get the low battery message. so we assumed the battery was also the cause of the stop/start not operating as we have found out it won't operate if the battery level is too low.

As already suggested, you can drill down into the eDrive menu options to discover which sub-system is preventing the stop/start from being active. There are many potential reasons!
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 20:37   #67
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I believe that part of the BMS reset procedure is to leave the car locked for an extended/overnight period?
no , simply disconnecting the battery resets all the data in the Battery monitor .. The parameters are all at a mid point when the battery is next connected , so the stop start will work and then stop again if the battery isnt at least 80% charged
Old Nov 7th, 2020, 20:39   #68
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

you need to carry out the deep 48 hour charge to desulphate the battery then try again .. and when ok charge the battery overnight or for a day every TWO WEEKS in these conditions where the car is not used a lot .
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 17:55   #69
avrovulcan

Well, Just thought I'd update on the battery situation - all good! Clan was correct in that I didn't need to do anything with the battery monitor. It took about 3 days, but the stop/start did come good and has been fine since (a reason why I left the update for a while)

The e-Drive menu is helpful to see what the reasons of S/S unavailability was for the few times it didn't work, but none of it was due to the battery: Couple of times it was a cold engine and once was because the heating, seats and demister were all on at the same time, once I turned one of the heated seats off it was fine.

So thank you guys for all your help and advice, much appreciated. Now I just need to work out how to re-activate the auto window open/close function, I can't for the life of me find how to re-activate it!
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 15:41   #70
trickey

Default Battery Type

I have a xc60 17 plate which i have owned for 12months i purchased it from a dealer from up north i keep getting battery low warning on the dash so i checked the battery with a tester 12.2v (weak) the manual states for a diesel auto 2.4 the battery should be an AGM type but fitted is an EFB i have problems with key fobs also saying fob battery low but fitting a new fob batteries only last about a week with intermittant warnings, any help/information would be apprecieated.
trickey is offline   Reply With Quote