Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Active headlights operation

Views : 1185

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 15:57   #1
BigKahuna

Default Active headlights operation

Hi. Can someone tell me if there is a way to make the default position of the active main/dip beam to 'on'? I have an '18 Inscription ( not bending lights). Seems silly to have to remember to reactivate each time I restart the vehicle. Same goes for the auto rain sensing wipers. Can they just stay in 'on' position unless cancelled? Thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 16:29   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

I believe the latest software update allow the lights to stay on auto high beam once it has been selected. The wipers are the same, this was done in the main update in 2019.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 16:40   #3
BigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
I believe the latest software update allow the lights to stay on auto high beam once it has been selected. The wipers are the same, this was done in the main update in 2019.
Thanks for that info. Would updates be made automatically when serviced by main dealer? Mine was in a month ago for service and I haven't noticed any difference with wipers or lights. I can't check yet as I'm away until the weekend.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 17:33   #4
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Updates should have been done at the service, but reading comments on this forum some dealers seem not to do full updates as they should. There’s no way of telling what updates have been done on your car, but someone with more ideas will hopefully be able to help you a bit more
There is a bit of info here on what the updates do contain
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates

Last edited by Whiterdesign; Oct 13th, 2020 at 17:37.
Whiterdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 18:30   #5
BigKahuna

When was the headlight update? I see the rain sensor was Nov 19 but can see no mention of the lights. My rain sensor is definitely not 'on' by default.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 22:29   #6
Baxlin
Old Rocker

As previous cars allowed their auto wipers to be active all the time, I asked on here some time ago about this on my C70, but it seems not having the option is a ‘cold weather’ safeguard. If the screen is frozen, for instance, and therefore not clear, the auto wipers would sense it needs sweeping, possibly causing damage to the blades and/or the motor.

When I was reminded that I now had a Swedish car, it seemed fairly logical....
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 22:45   #7
Whiterdesign
Master Member

I don’t think that the headlights are shown on the list, but people who have had a recent update report that it now stays on all the time. I’ve not had an update this year as my car is not due to be serviced until December
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 16:32   #8
met24

When Marshalls in MK serviced my early-2019 V90 Inscription Pro (with adaptive shadow headlights) in July they did the software update that remembers the auto-high-beam setting.

I noticed two other changes with regards to the headlights post-update:

1. Previously, if you turned active bending headlights off, that would disable the adaptive shadow feature as well -- auto-high-beam would just switch between normal dipped and traditional main beam. Post-update, auto-high-beam will use adaptive shadow when it can, even with active bending lights turned off.

2. Previously, pushing the stalk forwards with high beam would turn it off. That no longer happens.

Of course if you manually switch it to high beam it then forgets the auto setting, and you have to re-enable it again.

I still wish there was a positive indication in the instrument panel that dipped headlights were on -- the sidelights symbol is as good as useless because the only time that will be off is if you've turned the lighting ring to 0, and you'd probably know if you'd done that.
met24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 16:10   #9
Boatie
Master Member

My active headlights operation seem to be a moveable feast. Sometimes it remains set, other times it has to be reset. I assumed that there's now some form of delay built in. There most certainly wasn't on my last V90. (issue not to be confused with auto having to be reset if manual selection used )
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 15:27   #10
met24

Boatie - do you ever use the home safe lighting? Turning that on after you've shut down is enough to deactivate auto high beam.
met24 is offline   Reply With Quote