Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fact or myth. MAF or vacuum leak?

Views : 804

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 22:55   #1
Motas88

Default Fact or myth. MAF or vacuum leak?

Have the awkward problem of P1171, rich cold idle, rough idle, hesitation and no power above 3000 revs.

Been working my way through the lines, intake and then will be the more expensive stuff.

Discounted the MAF due to some possibly incorrect information from a friend that knew a ‘Technician’ and doing the unplug while running test that’s been about.

After hours scrolling decided to revisit the MAF. Took for a run while MAF was disconnected and all is well. Power is back, full Rev range and no lumpy idle or petrol smell when cold.

Before I give up on the vacuum leak hunt and just replace the unit. Will running it with MAF disconnected mask symptoms of a vacuum leak? Cannot find a definitive answer or question addressing this although has been mentioned in posts here and there.
Motas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 23:06   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

No, a disconnected MAF will not mask a vacuum leak. Easy enough to test for yourself. Disconnect the MAF and then pull a vac line off.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 23:45   #3
Motas88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
No, a disconnected MAF will not mask a vacuum leak. Easy enough to test for yourself. Disconnect the MAF and then pull a vac line off.
Ah good. Just second guessing as I know air flow values return to pre-sets when no signal from MAF. But guessing if there was a vacuum leak the O2 sensors would still through a code? Did get a running cooling fan and ETS light when I turned off after run. Had to disconnect the battery to stop the fan. (Remained off when battery reconnected). Could this also be related?
Motas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 08:56   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

If you do end up replacing the MAF, beware cheap aftermarket units, these cars can be picky about MAF quality, and cheap ones usually end up being false economy. Best to try to fit the correct part number Bosch unit, then you'll know it's good.
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 21:03   #5
Alpine

I might have the same problem, if I disconnect my MAF it runs okay.

But from what you say above, could this still be a vacuum leak?

I've been looking for a new Bosch MAF (part number 0 280 217 107) but everywhere (including eBay) says out of stock, I guess because its an old part. Does anyone know where I can source one from, otherwise I may have to get a cheap one from somewhere like here http://www.autosensors.co.uk/en/306-...280217107.html
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 13:25   #6
DSK
C70 T5

FWIW, for vacuum leaks I'd just use a smoke machine as that will easily find it as you can't always do it well if you can't see or replicate the issue by hand and sight.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote