Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A conversation about cargo hauling options...

Views : 672

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2021, 10:02   #1
Millie20

Default A conversation about cargo hauling options...

Hi all,

Starting to plan some summer escapes, and need to think about loading cargo. Camping equipment, pushchairs, bikes, bags etc..

I have an 06 d5 v70 with the third row seats. I also have 4 kids (10, 8, 6, 1) and all the sh*t that comes with them. With the exception of pillows and small bags, there isn't much room for anything else when we're all in the car.

I've been looking at roof baskets, roof boxes, small trailers, but wondered if anyone here has any recommendations from experience. Or has something to get rid of.

I appreciate most people wouldn't be foolish enough to have 4 kids, but we are where we are. ;-)

Can we have a chat about hauling cargo with the v70? What is your experience?
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 10:10   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

have only 2 myself but watching with interest in case the missus starts getting broody again

do you have a tow-ball?

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 10:33   #3
Millie20

When the (second) wife told me she was pregnant, I immediately pulled out my phone and asked her how to spell vasectomy. 《- Explains why I'm on my second wife.

I don't have a towbar yet, but I'm looking.
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 11:17   #4
fleming164

Roof boxes can be surprisingly practical. We only have a small one (Ranger 280) but it makes quite the difference when you can stuff bulky pillows, bedding etc away from the passengers!

What was a surprise to me was the negligible impact on fuel economy. Obviously it must make a difference, but it was well within the margin of error, maybe 1-2mpg.

Trailers are very useful if you have lots of heavy items to take away with you. When I was a kid, 5 of us used to go away in a Fiesta with a trailer and we never had issues fitting everything in. I think that trailer was 8x5, so a little larger than your general camping trailer.

Ex:
'06 S40 2.0D SE - 178,000mi / '00 Renault Clio 1.2 - 138,000mi

Last edited by fleming164; Mar 17th, 2021 at 11:47.
fleming164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleming164 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 12:07   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

how serious are you about camping for the future? only reason I ask, if you start thinking about trailers, you need somewhere to put said trailer

and if you're going down that route, and you're thinking about buying a big tent (with 4 kids that's some tent as well..) have you considered the trailer tent option. there will be plenty of storage space in the trailer as an added bonus. there might be some decent 2nd hand options? ours was in really good nick when we sold it despite years of (caring) ownership

we had one for years when I was growing up before we got a caravan. one thing I do know is camping all our family hols were on campsites all around the country. 2 teacher parents = good 6 week holidays. I even remember the car, we had a red MK 4 ford cortina, that would be worth a few quid now! at the time my dad was like meh, high mileage, junk it

I'm actually looking at big tents but dont have space for trailer storage as yet, which is a pain, so i'm looking at roof boxes

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 17th, 2021 at 12:32.
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 12:11   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

for example

this

or this.. ours was a Raclett IIRC

or others..

mini project - link
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 15:48   #7
John97Tdi
Master Member

Kudos for camping with a V70 with a tribe of that size - my wife and I were looking at roof boxes because for a 2 week break our XC was full to overflowing. Vacuum bags are great for any textiles that are compressible but with so many bodies in the car I'd think you'd be looking at a roof box at the very least.

Best of luck - hopefully later this year it may actually be possible to go camping but when we've looked at sites so far they seem to be only open for camper vans/tents with their own toilet/washing facilities.
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 18:43   #8
BlueRubber
VOC Member

This won't solve all your problems but it's handy:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-C....c101198.m1985
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 08:47   #9
old onions

I have a 350 litre roof box , which will take 2 large suitcases , 2 small ones and several smaller items packed alongside. Again no dramatic effect on fuel consumption , my only real concern is the recommended weight limit on the roof.

This has served me well for many family holidays , admittedly in gîtes rather than camping, but the capacity is more than enough for a family of 5.

Thule are probably the best known of the suppliers, but their products are (of course) the most expensive. I have used a Packline box, which is made of GRP (so slightly scratchy on the inside) compared to the smoother ABS construction of the Thule products. I am sure that Halfords (and probably others too) do similar.

I would invest in good roof bars and "feet" as these are critical to keeping the load on the roof , but I don't think the quality of the box is as important.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old onions For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2021, 09:27   #10
Millie20

Thanks for the responses.

Stuart - I'm a pretty serious camper. Stereotypical Canadian expat here. I'm the guy that friends invite camping, not because they like me, but because I have all of the kit. Our three room tent packs down into a bag the size of a large suitcase, I also have a full kitchen setup, which is one of the big reasons for looking at hauling options.

Bluerubber - That ceiling storage is amazing. Will order.

Yesterday, I had all four kids in the car. I had to strap the little one's pushchair to the roof bars, because there was no room in the car. Note, I could squeeze three across the middle row, but it's very tight with car seats and boosters (ie.. the kids moan), so it's easier to just throw one or two in the boot.

For the ease of just loading things on the roof, I like the idea of a roof basket like this one

It's massive, and likely overkill, but the utility would be amazing. Weight capacity does come in to play here though.

Roof box is another option. I've been keeping an eye on ebay. Problem being there wouldn't be much room after the pushchair goes in.

I think a hybrid solution might be in order depending on the journey.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of towing with the v70, but a trailer would be handy for a few trips a year. We're fortunate to have a massive drive, so storing it wouldn't be a problem when not in use. If we did get a trailer, I'd want to install an aux transmission fluid cooler (look for people breaking auto c70s and xc90s if interested). I'm also currently refurbing some xc90 big brakes to throw on.

Appreciate the input here.

When looking at towbars, is there anything to keep in mind, or are they all one and the same? I've come across something about a 7 pin or 11 pin connector. Assume all the wires are in the boot somewhere to connect a harness, but haven't looked into it much.

Last edited by Millie20; Mar 18th, 2021 at 09:31.