Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9237

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:46   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Hmmmm, secondhand glow plugs come into the same category as secondhand Lambda sensors, you're lucky if they work more than a dog-watch!

For the cost, a new set is worth investing in :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Diesel...1/153589808027

That's the full set of 5 as well. At that price i'd fit a set as preventive maintenance every 2-4 years depending on how many cold starts it had. Also it would eliminate preheating as the potential cause of your bad starting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 11:45   #12
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmmm, secondhand glow plugs come into the same category as secondhand Lambda sensors, you're lucky if they work more than a dog-watch!

For the cost, a new set is worth investing in :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Diesel...1/153589808027

That's the full set of 5 as well. At that price i'd fit a set as preventive maintenance every 2-4 years depending on how many cold starts it had. Also it would eliminate preheating as the potential cause of your bad starting.
Yeah, yeah, I hear ya, I was assured they were bought by mistake and the time had lapsed for a return, and they did have their original Bosch boxes too, so I was convinced, so easy I know lol perhaps gullible is the operative word here....

Thanks, I will have to double-check those cause when I did buy a new set for mine off eBay prior, they were the wrong size, the thread was in the wrong place so the tip didn't go down far enough, they only screwed in about 2.5 turns at the most lol

I think it does boil down to 2 slight issues causing a worse one, 2nd user plugs and injector, luckily (if i can find it) i kept my original injector so I can send it off for a refurb, hopefully, it's not over expensive, although it should be cheaper than an actual returned one off of ebay, they are about £100 + £100 refundable on an exchange of your old one, I don't like that idea at all, £200 OOP right off the bat
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 11:56   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Those plugs i linked to are listed as fitting your year of car so should be right.

I've used that supplier several times for Lambda sensors and also the CPS on my 760 and haven't had any major problems.
One item arrived broken, sent them a photo and had a replacement the following day, probably not their fault it was broken looking at the package (it looked like the postie had dropped it and then driven over it! ) but they replaced it pronto so even if they are the wrong plugs, you shouldn't have any problems.

Fairly confident they're the correct ones though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 11:58   #14
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Those plugs i linked to are listed as fitting your year of car so should be right.

I've used that supplier several times for Lambda sensors and also the CPS on my 760 and haven't had any major problems.
One item arrived broken, sent them a photo and had a replacement the following day, probably not their fault it was broken looking at the package (it looked like the postie had dropped it and then driven over it! ) but they replaced it pronto so even if they are the wrong plugs, you shouldn't have any problems.

Fairly confident they're the correct ones though.
Thank you, much appreciated, I will buy them now, what's the worst that can happen 😁
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 12:12   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Thank you, much appreciated, I will buy them now, what's the worst that can happen 😁
You're welcome, fingers crossed it sorts your cold start problem, at worst they're eliminated from the diagnostic procedure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 12:14   #16
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
You're welcome, fingers crossed it sorts your cold start problem, at worst they're eliminated from the diagnostic procedure.
At little cost too
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:24   #17
Bashy
Aged Member

There is one other point that I'd forgotten about till I did it again this morning.

If I put it into neutral 1st, it starts a lot easier, which does not make a lot of sense to me, but there must be something to it?
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 09:29   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There is one other point that I'd forgotten about till I did it again this morning.

If I put it into neutral 1st, it starts a lot easier, which does not make a lot of sense to me, but there must be something to it?
If it's manual then it sounds like the clutch is dragging but in theory you should be starting it in neutral anyway - some cars (mainly USA or USA influenced) have to be in neutral or P if auto before the engine will turn over.

Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 10:45   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
If it's manual then it sounds like the clutch is dragging but in theory you should be starting it in neutral anyway - some cars (mainly USA or USA influenced) have to be in neutral or P if auto before the engine will turn over.
Sorry, should have said, mines the auto, but yes, manuals I always start them in neutral.

If I leave it in park and start it, it takes longer to start, this morning I remembered to put it on neutral and it fired after about 2 or 3 cranks as opposed to 5 or 8 and it was minus 2 this monring so it would have been worse than normal, I'm at a loss with this cause neutral and oral should be one and the same, no?
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 11:09   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
neutral and oral should be one and the same, no?
Don't you just love autocowwrecks?

You're right, Neutral and Park are the same except when in Park, a pawl engages with a ratchet on the gearbox output. Given that if you were in Neutral you'd probably have the handbrake on, it makes no real difference.

The inhibitor switch won't have any real consequence on things either as it only interrupts the trigger line to the solenoid to prevent solenoid (and hence starter) operation unless in P or N for safety. As such it has no real bearing on the starter.