Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Articles

Notices

850/x70 S1 Articles How to's and step by step guides on a specific repair or modification to a Volvo 850/70 car.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 850 Ph2 Fuel Filter Replacement.

Views : 13061

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 14:18   #1
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Default Volvo 850 Ph2 Fuel Filter Replacement.

Volvo 850 Ph2 Fuel Filter Replacement.

Today I replaced the fuel filter on my 1996 GLT. Well overdue in my case! My replacement was a 'Mann' filter. It is a good idea to have a new strap as it is very likely your old one will have rusted badly. They tend to give out where the captive nut sits. Remember to dis-connect the battery.

The filter is under the car next to the fuel tank on the offside, so you will need to raise the rear of the car on ramps or stands. I am very very lucky to have a friend with a 4 poster in his hanger:

That'll be him putting my car up.

Here is the old filter, you can see the 'strap' that holds it in place around the middle. Above you can make out the return pipe, this is push fitted into a 'lug' on the strap.

The pipes, fore & aft are push fit type onto the filter. To release a 17mm spanner can be used as a lever. If you hold the filter with one hand you can use the filter to lever the spanner on, pushing the pipes off. You will get an initial spurt of fuel under pressure, so have a few rags handy.

Here pushing the rear pipe off.

Here front pipe removed. Note resting it 'up' on the return pipe to stop any fuel running out.

Finally the filter removed. Note the 'plug' in the pipe to stop your tank draining! The original strap on mine was a 12mm & was very rusted. Lots of WD40 needed to get it going. It did not break mind. The replacement one, which was a Volvo OE had only a 10mm bolt.

The new filter in place, note the arrow on the filter, points forwards as in direction of flow.
The pipes push back on. I used a 19mm spanner to make sure they went 'gently' fully home.

Tighten up the strap.

Now its time to start up, having re-connected the battery. Turn ignition on and let the pump prime. Mine started on the 2nd spin, just time to get the fuel all the way I guess.
Check thoroughly for leaks. Go for a spin & check again.

Hope this helps & do feel free to add any tips or anything I may have missed.
Thanks.

Link to original thread
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Jan 28th, 2012 at 20:39. Reason: Link back to thread
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 15:49   #2
TurboZutek
Premier Member

You can remove the risk of under pressure petrol spraying out and also make the pipes a little easier to get off, by pressing the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail in the engine bay while covering it with a rag. A little fuel will come out and the pressure on the system will be relieved. There is also a similar valve just in front of the fuel filter, but I'd leave it well alone as they often are so dirty and road-grime covered that they press open OK but never seal up again!

Another way is to remove the fuel pump relay and run the engine until it stalls out.

Chris...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TurboZutek For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 16:59   #3
Rick Barton
Master Member

The valve 'in front' of the fuel filter is 'in front' in terms of fuel flow and 'behind' in terms of the fore and aft of the car. It is visible in pictures 2 and 4 and (correctly) appears to have a cap over the valve so should open and close fine. Mine did.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 19:55   #4
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default fuel filter

Another way of releasing the pressure from the fuel system is too remove the fuel pump fuse run the car till it stops itself as it's used all the fuel in the pipes, press the shrader valve to release any left, undo the fuel cap. Removing the filter that way will prevent your tank from draining which I don't think it can do as the pump will have some kind of one way valve
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlotte001 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fuel filter, volvo 850