Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Piston rings

Views : 617

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 09:06   #1
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

Default Piston rings

My car is a 1966 122s and I have been concerned because compression on all cylinders has been measured at 125 psi on a hot engine. So, I took the head off, couldn't see much wrong but had hardened valve seats, new valve guides and new exhaust valves fitted and vacuum test showed it was very good.
Checked the compression again - this time on a cold engine. - and this time they were all 100psi.
I can only presume the problem is now with the piston rings as the bores looked smooth with no lip at the top of the bores.
Is it possible to take out the pistons with the engine in situ or does it have to come out? I remember doing an Austin 10 from underneath!
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thowdfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 10:02   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Have you done a comp test after putt a few squirts of oil down through the plug holes? Try and put the same amount down each one. Wide open throttle for the tests. (Take the coil wire off for safety)
Pistons out through the top I'm afraid. No lip is good but it's desirable to be able to see honing cross hatching. If there are no signs of that the bore maybe glazed and not allowing the rings to seal properly.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 14:32   #3
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

I have now done thecompression test after squirting oil in the cylinders and it is still coming out at 100-105 psi so not making any difference. Don't understand why it is so low as the car appears to be running well, pulling well and ticks over well. When I looked in the bores when the head was off the cylinders looked smooth but couldn't see any cross hatching marks. I also tried three different compression gauges! Any thoughts
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 01:03   #4
c1800
Master Member

Is that 100-105 warm? Did you test compression with all plugs out at once, and throttle held wide open while cranking?

Smooth bores might indicate wear, as no cross hatching present. Bores could be glazed, tapered and out of round from wear. AFAIK the only way to check is disassembly and checking bores with the proper tools/gauges.

I don’t think you can disassemble in situ, difficult to just get the oil pan off in situ. Probably could if you dropped the cross member and supported the engine from above, and that’s a lot of extra work. But others may have further advice.

Taking the engine out, disassembly, cleaning, boring etc is the proper way to do it for a long lasting rebuild.

On the other hand if you’re happy with the current performance, you could just keep driving it.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 09:36   #5
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

The latest test was done on cold engine, all plugs out, and foot to the floor. I think you are right about the bore as I have this morning gone through all the many documents I have about the car from new and the bore has never been touched throughout its 103000 miles. So it's engine out I think and take it from there. Although it's very usable, a compression drop of that amount bothers me so it needs to be fixed.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 10:51   #6
Underdrive

If the compression figures are still fairly equal, the difference will be something in common with all four cylinders associated with the work done to the head that has lowered the compression ratio. Do you know if the head gasket was the same thickness as before?
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 12:10   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thowdfella View Post
My car is a 1966 122s and I have been concerned because compression on all cylinders has been measured at 125 psi on a hot engine. So, I took the head off, couldn't see much wrong but had hardened valve seats, new valve guides and new exhaust valves fitted and vacuum test showed it was very good.
Checked the compression again - this time on a cold engine. - and this time they were all 100psi.
I can only presume the problem is now with the piston rings as the bores looked smooth with no lip at the top of the bores.
Is it possible to take out the pistons with the engine in situ or does it have to come out? I remember doing an Austin 10 from underneath!
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
It might interest you that the B21 engine in the 240 volvo compression test figures state Minimum 129 psi .

I hope you sleep better tonight , don't worry about it .. You could get the car tested on a rolling road for about £50 to determine the power it is producing .. It might well be more than specified , as volvo engines always seem to go better the older they get :-)
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 12:21   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

It's certainly rare that there is only 5psi difference between cylinders at this mileage. 10% difference is acceptable. If there is blow by at the rings it will be a bit fumy when you run it with the oil filler cap off. It will be noticeable and if you put your hand over the hole you shouldn't feel more than a very minor pulse. The head job with new hardened seats has included guides and seals so that would mean that very little oil should get into the combustion chambers and cause exhaust smoke.
As mentioned, dropping the rods and pistons means removing the pan and that gets complicated. It may seem a major task but much easier to remove the engine and work on it with an engine stand. Actually quicker and less frustrating than working partially blind under the car.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote