Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Petrol engine is best for V70

Views : 3896

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 01:06   #21
smallzoo

I guess this is probably better but quite a lot over my budget

http://https://www.autotrader.co.uk/...02001075881879
smallzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 10:21   #22
VroomVroomClonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallzoo View Post
... I have to look at a large estate for 5 people and luggage...
With carrying 5 people, one other thing you may like to consider as well as the engine is the rear seating position. I've had more complaints from the family about being in the back of the V70 than in any other car. They hate the restricted forward view caused by the low seating position of the rear seats and the large headrests on the front seats. This has resulted in many unscheduled stops when the call "I feel sick" comes from the back, and this is from people who have never felt ill in other cars.
With four people in the car it is not too bad as the rear passengers can lean towards each other and see between the front seats. But with five people is when it all goes wrong and things turn nasty.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:13   #23
smallzoo

Oh dear so now you are putting me off buying a V70 !

5 up will be only 10% of the time..

is it that bad ?
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 11:55   #24
VroomVroomClonk

I suggest you go for a test drive in one and spend a part of it sitting in the back and being driven by someone else so you can judge for yourself. Or even better, take your proposed rear-seat passengers with you for a test drive, put them in the back, and see what they think of it. After so many complaints from the back seat, I did try it there myself and they do have a point. We also have a Saab 9-5 Aero which is a similar-ish size and performance of car, and I do have to admit that the back seat of the Saab is a far more pleasant place to be than the back seat of the Volvo.

Last edited by VroomVroomClonk; Jan 18th, 2020 at 13:00.
VroomVroomClonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 13:37   #25
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Never thought to examine the rear seat closely.
I've never heard a complaint but 3-in-a-row back there is a rarity.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 15:34   #26
smallzoo

Ok.. so basically is everyone saying a V70 is not a good idea for 5 on trip to cornwall ( about 6 hrs drive )

If thats the case ..what else would people recommend other than the SAAB

cheers
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 16:17   #27
oragex
Premier Member

Good point about the rear seats legroom. It really all depends on how tall are the front passenger and driver. I'm exactly 6ft tall. I have my seat pushed back at max, I'm still missing a few inches at the pedals to really stretch my legs, the problem is, behind me there is no way someone could pass their legs, not even a child. Same for the rear center seat. On the front passenger side, it's a little better, the person behind him will have more space. Again, this is for tall drivers - I'm guessing for a driver under 5ft10" there would be just enough space for the passenger behind, but certainly not comfortable. I had a '97-'05 Passat with the 1.8 turbo petrol. These are getting older by now, but you have them estate and front and rear legroom is a completely different story. Comfortable seats, excellent driving position, excellent car on highways, the turbo was pulling nicely at speed. But... it's a VW. Terrible to work on it, engine air filter it's a good 30 min work to replace, door actuators are made of biodegradable plastic, suspension arms complex and costly.. turbo engines had problems.. rust at the bottom of the doors. Not a bad car overall, but it was hard to work on it. However a low miler may be worth a look. I honestly loved that car, except it was boring inside the city, it was rather designed for the motorway.

Last edited by oragex; Jan 18th, 2020 at 16:33.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 11:05   #28
VroomVroomClonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallzoo View Post
Ok.. so basically is everyone saying a V70 is not a good idea for 5 on trip to cornwall ( about 6 hrs drive )

If thats the case ..what else would people recommend other than the SAAB

cheers
The best big car we ever had was a 2004 Renault Grand Espace. Comfortable, whisper quiet, plenty of room, effortless on long journeys (south of France and back fully loaded), reliable and not bad on fuel for something that big. We had the 2.2DCi engine which was OK, but did always feel like it was about to do something expensive! The slightly later 2.0DCi is a completely different design of engine and is supposed to be more robust. I don't know anything about Renault's petrol engines though.
I'd certainly be looking to buy another one if I ever had to transport lots of people again.
Do not buy one with the stupid glass roof, a friend had one of those and it made the whole car heat up like a greenhouse as soon as the sun came out.

Last edited by VroomVroomClonk; Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:13.
VroomVroomClonk is offline   Reply With Quote