Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interference through stereo with RSE

Views : 3867

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 02:14   #21
dj898

I suspect that is what the mechanic installed as we cannot hear the noise anymore.
However according to the mechanic he's going to replace the entire wiring ordered from Volvo factory to eliminate any interference once and for all...
He said with no audio on AUX input and volume at MAX you can hear the very faint interference coming through the speakers...
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 16:09   #22
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj898 View Post
I have exactly same issue with ours as well.
There was no such interference for couple of months but then I tried to plug in my iPhone using the USB port inside the centre console and after that we started to hear the noise.
And it seems to increase with the engine speed - higher the rpm more high pitched it gets...

so far no answer from Volvo and I shall remind them to look into on next service.
Same issue here - RSE fitted to Sensus MY 2011 system. With mine, I couldn't get the audio to come through the car speakers at all unless I plugged in a blank jack into the AUX input in the armrest. The "jack" in question is actually a short (1m) 3.5mm jack extension cable that came with the RSE.

I wonder whether the similarity with the IPOD connections is that there's a cable involved acting as a kind of aerial which may be picking up the interference?

It's definitely linked to engine speed though, which is why I didn't notice it at first as I tried the RSE out in the drive with the engine off.

Am due to collect some accessories from my dealer tomorrow and will see if they can shed any light on this. As another contributor has said, the solution to this sort of thing used to be fit a suppressor so they can hopefully sort it.
jmills01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 21:41   #23
mikealder
VOC Member

Ground Loop Interference (GLI) is usually down to the two audio devices being at a slightly different potential voltage, this can be caused by anything from a poor electrial connection (often when powering an accessory from the ciggy lighter socket after its been used to light those nicotine sticks) to a poor ground connection, they can be a real PITA to locate the exact cause, the easy option is the inline filter to galvanically seperate the two devices - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 02:15   #24
dj898

jmills01/ as I couldn't get my dealer to do any investigation initially other than usual couldn't find anything wrong line, I contacted the Volvo Australia and complained about the issue. With half day I got a call from my dealer to bring in the vehicle to do the test.

However they couldn't find what was the issue - or more likely couldn't replicate the issue I was having - on the initial chck up. So on the second time I drove the vehicle to the garage straight and when I start to hear the noise I called the mechanic while the engine's still running and have him heard the noise first hand. Then when I collected the vehicle the noise was virtually gone though he mentioned that they placed an order for the new AUX cable and component to replace completely - unfortunately this is one of those parts not stocked in Australia and had to be shipped from Volvo factory.

By the way for the audio through the AUX have you tried to turn on A.I.T. (?) option under the Display menu on the DVD player?
If you press the menu button and then press the ok button you will see A.I.T.(?) listed 6th from the top. Change it to ON and you should hear the DVD audio through the AUX input. If not the dealer did not install the RSE properly. According to RSE manual I saw this feature was mentioned as well.

Last edited by dj898; Jul 6th, 2011 at 02:23.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 08:54   #25
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Its Ground Loop Interference thats causing the problem, quite easy to fix by fitting a ground loop issolation device between the two units, see Here for one such unit - Mike
Sounds good, thanks. When you say to install it "between the two units" what would that mean in terms of fitting to the RSE outputs / XC60 sound system? Is there some connection point under the front armrest where the AUX/USB connections are?

Thanks again - sounds promising.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 14:37   #26
jmills01

I've since spoken to my dealer who looked into this. It is, apparently, a known issue and there is a part which can be fitted (an "adapter socket") (Part Number 30657961) to resolve it. It's on back order for a couple of weeks so will book in to get it fitted thereafter. Fingers crossed.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 00:58   #27
dj898

Sounds like the one we are waiting from the Volvo factory as well.
By the way in the mean time have your dealer mechanic to look at the issue.
I don't know what ours did but the noise is now 98% gone.
We really have to pay attention after a long continuous driving to hear the hint of noise now...

Missus and kids are not fuss over the issue now, though I'm still checking with our dealer when the part will be in.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 15:10   #28
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj898 View Post
Sounds like the one we are waiting from the Volvo factory as well.
By the way in the mean time have your dealer mechanic to look at the issue.
I don't know what ours did but the noise is now 98% gone.
We really have to pay attention after a long continuous driving to hear the hint of noise now...

Missus and kids are not fuss over the issue now, though I'm still checking with our dealer when the part will be in.
Thanks.

I called the dealer again today and they'll "get back to me" (which I presume means the part's not in yet). However, if it doesn't arrive soon I'll book it in anyway to see if they can improve it for us as they did with yours. This definitely needs to be resolved soon as am going to drive to the South of France in a few weeks and that's exactly the type of journey for which I shelled-out the extra to get the darned RSE in the first place.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 04:02   #29
dj898

the trick is book the time little bit later - I sat mine at 9:30am compared to more norm 8:30am - and then took the longest route to the dealer. When you start to hear the statics through your system do NOT turn off engine but instead ask the head mechanic to come out and sit in the car with you.

This is what I did and after hearing the issue first hand the head mechanic took the car and took him two full days to minimize the noise to current almost inaudible level... ^ ^ the trick is book the time little bit later - I sat mine at 9:30am compared to more norm 8:30am - and then took the longest route to the dealer. When you start to hear the statics through your system do NOT turn off engine but instead ask the head mechanic to come out and sit in the car with you.

This is what I did and after hearing the issue first hand the head mechanic took the car and after two full working days he managed to minimize the noise to current almost inaudible level... Yep didn't tell me what he did but saying best he could do while waiting for the replacement part. ^ ^

of coz YMMV...

Last edited by dj898; Jul 26th, 2011 at 04:05.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 21:43   #30
jmills01

My trip to the dealer was unsuccessful. They fitted the new part (the new Aux input) and it has made no difference. In mine, the noise is audible immedidately upon starting the car, so timing of the visit shouldn't make a difference and indeed the dealer seem to at least believe I'm having the issue.

It's booked back in next week to see if they can resolve it second time around...