Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar availability - XC60 D5 AWD MY2012 (215 hp version)

Views : 10205

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 16:08   #21
Mrjon
Master Member

Yes, a smaller more frugal cake for a couple of grand less but which can be upgraded to the same performance as the D5 ,while retaining its MPG all for £650.
It seems too good to be true, and not a good marketing proposition for the D5 really.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 17:53   #22
darbs
XC60 Owner

the twin turbo on the D5 will make a massive amount of difference. the turbo lag on the D3 will be obvious.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 18:05   #23
MikeAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
the twin turbo on the D5 will make a massive amount of difference. the turbo lag on the D3 will be obvious.
Your not wrong there Paul.
I never got a chance to try the D3 but I was a little 'surprised' in the amount of power on my D5.
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 19:04   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

actualy the D3 feels a lot more lively at lower rpm than the D5 twin turbo .

As i see and feel it the low end performance of the D5 is the same as the older 185 bhp because it has a bigger main turbo , so lack of low rpm torque , this is compensated ( not improved ) to a similar level to the old 185 bhp by the tiny turbo .. tiny it is , the air outlet pipe is about 19 mm diameter .
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 19:05   #25
Mrjon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
That alone would justify the extra cost for me then.
I had the classic version S60 D5 before this and the turbo lag was really bad. Pulling onto roundabouts with my foot to the floor and just hanging there until the engine slowly wound up to 1700 rpm and the turbo kicked in was scary, after that it shot off like a catapult though.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 20:21   #26
MikeAP

Certainly no lag on my D5 Geartronic.

Only last week my wife got into the wrong lane at a set of traffic lights.
Finding ourselves in a predicament she needed to get across two lanes and as we waited we noticed a long length of cars were building up to the side of us in the two lanes.
My wife soon started to panic, a quick glance at the leading cars to our left gave me some confidence to say to her "you have a choice.... sit, wait for all the cars to go by from the lanes to our left (which would have made cars behind us a little disgruntled to say the least)..... or put your foot down hard as soon as the lights change".
She choose the right foot action.
Watching her reminded me of a Formula One start... concentration on melt-down, lights green and WHAM..... unbelievably quick from the lights.

We shot off ahead of the pack and traveled safely across two lanes leaving everyone for dust.

Absolutely not recommended and not endorsed..... but for a very brief moment it was fun.
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 20:49   #27
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
actualy the D3 feels a lot more lively at lower rpm than the D5 twin turbo .

As i see and feel it the low end performance of the D5 is the same as the older 185 bhp because it has a bigger main turbo , so lack of low rpm torque , this is compensated ( not improved ) to a similar level to the old 185 bhp by the tiny turbo .. tiny it is , the air outlet pipe is about 19 mm diameter .

interesting, however, according to polestar the optimised 225 torque curves are identical ie 460nm @1750-3000rpm.

i wonder how a D5 vs D3 polestar would perform against each other opn the road? the low end turbo on the D5 must make a big difference if a gear is engaged at revs lower than what the single turbo can operate at, e.g. when coming off a roundabout. the D5's low to high end turbo changeover is seemless.

are we sure this version of the D3, i.e. that used on the 2.4 awd only has 1 turbo?
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 11:34   #28
crossedover

It does seem remarkable that Volvo would allow a "cheap" route to D5 performance at no cost in terms of economy from the D3.

Looking at the graphs on the polestar site the "after" graphs are clearly identical which seems suspicious.

One thing for sure though - a 35%+ increase in power is going to be costly to insure, probably far more so than buying the same power straight from the factory!
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:07   #29
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossedover View Post

One thing for sure though - a 35%+ increase in power is going to be costly to insure, probably far more so than buying the same power straight from the factory!
Not sure about the 35% increase, but having trouble getting any insurance company to "recognise" that a D3 AWD SE Lux Premium Geartronic exists!!

It does not appear on the ABI system and my new car is at the dock and I need to get insurance on it pronto.
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 18:32   #30
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
Not sure about the 35% increase, but having trouble getting any insurance company to "recognise" that a D3 AWD SE Lux Premium Geartronic exists!!

It does not appear on the ABI system and my new car is at the dock and I need to get insurance on it pronto.
Get the free 7 day Volvo insurance it will give you an extra week or it should.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post: