Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

148mpg volvo

Views : 2476

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 18:13   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Wimorrison

Post is not speculation.

First line of OP explains clearly authors feeling it may filter to XC60

regards
may = speculation
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 18:38   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
may = speculation
Fact.Volvo are to release diesel electric hybrid.
Speculation. Maybe it might filter to XC and other models.
Speculation. Pricing and other opinion

Opening sentence of OP as under repeated especially for you!

"Ok this is the XC Forum although feel that this technology will most likely filter to XC60 - lets hope so."

Your a sensible and intelligent man Wimorrison. You understand the post. You can work out what is fact and what is speculation.Just thought it would interest you guys.Why nit pick?
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 00:26   #13
Vecais

Quote:
Which means that the entire post is speculation when placed against a possible XC60 version - not mentioned anywhere
It does not require an enormous leap of faith to extrapolate that the XC60 may be a contender for hybrid. Every man and his dog is going hybrid for SUVs:

Quote:
Current green SUV availability includes the Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander, Mercury Mariner, Lexus RX 400h & 450h, Mazda Tribute, Saturn Vue Green Line, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade, and Mercedes ML 450. The Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen are here as well, but production has was halted in December of 2008 and very few are on the market. A full-mode version of the hybrid Saturn Vue was due out in 2009, but got cancelled. We will wait to learn which models reach car dealers in 2011. Others in line for a hybrid model are the Audi Q5 and Q7, Porsche Cayenne, Ford Edge, Honda Pilot, Lincoln MKX, BMW Activehybrid X6, BMW X5, Acura MDX, Volkswagen Touareg and possibly a hybrid from Nissan. Looks like it is time to do a little hybrid comparison shopping.Unquote.

http://www.hybridsuv.com/
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 16:36   #14
stu0710
Master Member

Looks very interesting although I believe that as with all hybrids, it pays to treat the quoted figures with some degree of scepticism. The 148 mpg figure is presumably the combined cycle figure which includes a certain amount of urban work. If like myself a majority of the mileage is motorway, then presumably the plug-in hybrid will be relying on propulsion from the D5 diesel engine and so fuel consumption will be similar (or worse due to the extra weight of the hybrid's batteries and electric motor) than the D5 V60?

At £40000 you would need to drive a lot of miles to offset the cost difference between the hybrid and the standard car. The batteries also represent an unknown cost as they must have a finite life expectancy. I have seen figures quoted of 100,000 miles / 5 years for battery life for the Prius at a replacement cost of £4000-6000, so presumably by the time 'battery consumption' as a cost per mile is calculated along with the additional purchase price, it is going to be hard justify the purchase on purely cost grounds.

Or am i just too much of a cynic?
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 16:55   #15
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
Looks very interesting although I believe that as with all hybrids, it pays to treat the quoted figures with some degree of scepticism. The 148 mpg figure is presumably the combined cycle figure which includes a certain amount of urban work. If like myself a majority of the mileage is motorway, then presumably the plug-in hybrid will be relying on propulsion from the D5 diesel engine and so fuel consumption will be similar (or worse due to the extra weight of the hybrid's batteries and electric motor) than the D5 V60?

At £40000 you would need to drive a lot of miles to offset the cost difference between the hybrid and the standard car. The batteries also represent an unknown cost as they must have a finite life expectancy. I have seen figures quoted of 100,000 miles / 5 years for battery life for the Prius at a replacement cost of £4000-6000, so presumably by the time 'battery consumption' as a cost per mile is calculated along with the additional purchase price, it is going to be hard justify the purchase on purely cost grounds.

Hi Stu0710

I kind of agree with what you say particularly as well that in a Nissan Leaf battery replacement is suggested to be close on 10k - although Nissan point out that is for all the batteries and it would be unlikely that a driver/owner would have to replace all of them at once.

Yes I would tend to agree the 148mpg is an "equivalent" taking into consideration the fuel free driving on electric.Driving solely with the D5 powering the engine you would get the MPG figures for that. It might however be slightly more economical than a non-hybrid due to assistance from the electric motor despite the extra weight. It would be a good idea to maybe use a less powerul engine such as 163bhp or less to retain decent economy when driving on diesel alone.

I may be wrong but I believe that unlike say a Prius that does about 2 miles on electric at under 30mph - the Volvo sytem will allow motorway speeds.However a range of 31 miles on electric will not go far if driving at 70mph!

The 40k is just my thought on what the price may be based on what other manufacturers are charging.

I believe if Volvo can be a leader as oppose to a follower and bring their offering to market and position it at a price that would be affordable (ish) to the average buyer accompanied with style reliability a good dealer network whilst still retaining a small profit margin then they can once again be the great brand they used to be.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 17:18   #16
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

I have a colleague who owns a Lexus 400h which he purcahsed because of the green credentials and he has been very pleased with what he gets driving around the clogged roads in the SE.

He has just returned from France as a very unhappy bunny because the fuel consumption was appalling - the engine was running all the time on the trip and he gained no advantage from the hybrid electric drive as he was never in a situation when it could engage.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 17:26   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
I have a colleague who owns a Lexus 400h which he purcahsed because of the green credentials and he has been very pleased with what he gets driving around the clogged roads in the SE.

He has just returned from France as a very unhappy bunny because the fuel consumption was appalling - the engine was running all the time on the trip and he gained no advantage from the hybrid electric drive as he was never in a situation when it could engage.
Hi Wimorrison

I think the Lexus Hybrid drive only works at low speeds and as you say at higher speeds you are running the petrol engine although , and I am prepared to stand corrected on this, the Volvo system will allow for faster driving albeit for 30 miles or so.

regards
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 18:40   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Hi Stu0710 and all

Ironically I have just been handed a November 2011 edition of What Car and guess what - on page 35 is a write up on the Volvo V60 hybrid and yes it looks circa 40k to buy.

Electric top speed is 60mph so may be ok for you Stu?

regards
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 02:22   #19
Vecais

Quote:
I join your scepticism and doubt that there is any overall benefit of many of the "green" options, including wind and solar power being foisted on us. I am in no rush to buy a hybrid. However I am happy that other people do.

I feel the car manufacturers are using hybrid as a means to help reduce the average fuel consumption of their entire fleet in order to meet the regulator's requirements.

Personally, I would consider a T6 for the next update. (Just kidding, I love the D5 and have been converted to be a big fan of diesel power.)
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:33   #20
Vecais

I notice that Lamborghini and Maserati are each also planning a family friendly SUV, but no mention of a wish for hybrid or even diesel:

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...922-1kmxk.html

http://www.caradvice.com.au/137894/m...rt-motor-show/