Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RSE Audio - Question

Views : 1875

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2011, 18:24   #1
braylee8

Default RSE Audio - Question

I have a question regarding the RSE fitted on our MY12 XC60. We have the RSE fitted without the external rear audio control panel fitted in the centre console. Should there be an option in the audio menu of Sensus to select RSE (either driver or passenger) and route sound through that? Or is sound limited to the headphones only.

Thanks folks!
braylee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:54   #2
dj898

according the dealer XC60's audio system is fully digital except the AUX input.
The RSE audio is tied to this AUX input and this being only analogue apparently prone to the interference. Regardless you should be able to route the RSE/DVD audio into the car's audio system via selecting A.I.I. option on the DVD's display menu. Press the button next to the power button on the DVD and choose the display menu. Once inside use the directional keys on top of the DVD to turn on A.I.I. and the audio will patch through the car's audio. By the way I think you can put one DVD's screen into the other DVD's screen by selecting the source on that DVD panel.

If your RSE doesn't work this way that means the dealer did not connect the wires from both DVD player into the AUX input module inside th centre console. It's very narrow and may need dismantling of the centre console for the proper fit. Just simply connecting the wire won't work as at the first sign of bump the cable can simply disconnect from the AUX module and will be impossible to retrieve the cable unless you have the proepr tool.
dj898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 19:27   #3
braylee8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj898 View Post
according the dealer XC60's audio system is fully digital except the AUX input.
The RSE audio is tied to this AUX input and this being only analogue apparently prone to the interference. Regardless you should be able to route the RSE/DVD audio into the car's audio system via selecting A.I.I. option on the DVD's display menu. Press the button next to the power button on the DVD and choose the display menu. Once inside use the directional keys on top of the DVD to turn on A.I.I. and the audio will patch through the car's audio. By the way I think you can put one DVD's screen into the other DVD's screen by selecting the source on that DVD panel.

If your RSE doesn't work this way that means the dealer did not connect the wires from both DVD player into the AUX input module inside th centre console. It's very narrow and may need dismantling of the centre console for the proper fit. Just simply connecting the wire won't work as at the first sign of bump the cable can simply disconnect from the AUX module and will be impossible to retrieve the cable unless you have the proepr tool.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a whirl tonight and report back.. How come the manual says you can view either RSE screen on the front display?? I would have thought I'd need the TV Tuner option for this to work??? The RSE Manual that came with the system is a bit crap to be honest.
braylee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 23:39   #4
dj898

No what I meant was you can put one DVD's screen on the other DVD screen so kid sitting the other side can watch on his/her DVD screen rather crooking his/her neck to see the screen at the opposite end. ^ ^

Also it seems you can turn the DVD(s) into the free zone so you can play Zone 1/2/3/4 DVD which we have quite a few...
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 14:00   #5
Shona

Default RSE Audio Output

I took delivery of my new XC60 on the 19th of September which is also fitted with the RSE system. I'm also unable to play the audio output of either screen through the cars audio system.

The dealer that fitted the system said it wasn't designed to do that but that's not what the RSE Accessory guide says so I rang Volvo UK. The gentleman I spoke to was most helpful and rang me back several times over the next few days. He confirmed the instructions in the guide are correct and that it worked on a car they had there. He recommended I took it into another dealer who after spending 3 days checking the wiring and following all the tests Volvo UK asked them to do also failed to get it to work. Interestingly they discovered they have the same problem with their Demo.
Although I haven't tested it myself they did say they connect a device into the Aux socket and it did play through the cars audio.

In addition when I was trying to work out what the problem was after ceratin menu selections I did get a message to say the AII wasn't connected.

The problem has now been refered to Volvo in Sweden who hopefully will come back with a solution.

Regarding your point about RSE not being listed on the front "Infotainment" screen. This is also the case with my car although it might be that the main user guide P275 is out of date and that the RSE system is now just controlled through the Aux option on the Media menu.
Shona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 22:54   #6
dj898

The RSE on missus XC60 was retro fitted by the dealer after the car was delivered.
As it was first time for their mechanics to install RSE into XC60 they had the car for two days and followed to the last letter on the installation instruction.

I was also initially told by the dealer that to play DVD audio through the vehicle's audio system connect the DVD player and AUX photo socket inside the centre console but my elder kid accidently found that "A.I.I." option which when ON patch the audio through the car's audio system.

According to the mechanic whom I spoken on number of time due to the interference issue with our RSE the audio wires from both DVD players must be connected to the AUX input module inside the centre console - basically the underneath the module with AUX photo jack socket and USB socket. The cables from both DVD players tied and inserted into this input hence why you need to put the car's audio in AUX mode in order to play the DVD audio.

It seems there's variation of AUX input module and updated version as well. Talk to your dealer and ask them to install the proper AUX input module that can be connected to RSE audio cables. By the way when I ordering missus XC60 I specified the rear seat audio control panel that fitted behind the centre console though not sure whether this has anything to do with RSE audio playing through the car's audio system?

If Volvo UK said it doesn't know ask them to ask Volvo AU 'coz they certainly know about this.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 21:44   #7
Shona

Default Problem Solved!

Further to my recent posting.
I haven't heard anymore from Volvo but I decided to spend some more time playing with the system and finally managed to get the rear screen audio output to play through the cars audio system. It appears the problem is you need to make the various selections in a particular order.

1. Switch on the rear TV screen by pressing the On/Off button.
2. Aim the Front Screen remote control at the IR receiver on the front TV screen and press repeatedly on Media button until AUX is selected, wait a few seconds and the selection is accepted with the message "Connect external Device to AUX input".
3. If the DVD isn't already running Press PLAY on the Rear Screen.
4. On the Rear Screen select MENU, AUDIO CONTROL MENU, OK,AUDIO CONTROL and select the right of left key to switch the sound ON.
5. The volume is controlled through the front screen

You don't actually need to use the front screen remote control but it does make it easier when you are sitting in the back of the car.

It still doesn't answer the question why the RSE system isn't listed under the MEDIA menu on the front screen. Perhaps Volvo have updated the system and not the manual or possibly the front screen might require a software update. I will pursue this with Volvo.

For Info. I don't have the rear audio control panel fitted. I hope the above works for you.

Last edited by Shona; Oct 10th, 2011 at 21:51.
Shona is offline   Reply With Quote