Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp washers

Views : 6960

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2016, 19:16   #1
TTR

Default Headlamp washers

All,

My other half use the Volvo XC most of the time and has only just noticed that the passenger side washer is not working! Apparently it's my fault though!!

As per manual every 5 screen washes the headlamp washer pop up and squirt, but only drivers side?

Anyone any ideas at all, do I assume the worst and could it be the whole module or could it not work if no water was getting to it?

I assume there is no leak in the pipe work as there is no water bleeding out when the washer is supposed to work, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Not sure how to access this one, assume it's wheel of and inner wing off?

All inputs great fully received

( it's been a smooth trouble free ride for a while, it's a shame it's thrown a small wobble!)

Cheers in advance
Old Feb 11th, 2016, 21:46   #2
TTR

All,

Having dug some more I am looking for some guidance on my findings.

There is only one pump to the headlight washers thus if one washer squirts the pump must be ok?

If the pumps ok then the next stage is the pop up washer.

There is no motor sound from the one that works so I assume it's just the water pressure that activates it, can any one confirm this?

If the above is correct the chance is that it's just a blockage in the water supply, if so does anyone know if the wash nozzle can be manually pulled up via the little square colour coded cover. If so I may try back flushing with air from my compressor?

Anyone know how to get to the pipes without removing the bumper?

All help or inputs gratefully received

Cheers
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 13:39   #3
flipper234
VOC Member

Smile

Hi,
just read your thread, I had a problem with my head light washer. If you take care you can get the little cover to lift up. I used a plastic trim lifter, gently insert under the edge and lifted it a fraction it comes up easily, just be gentle and be prepared to have a couple of goes. The plastic cap will detact from the squirter again be gentle. When you have got that off you can see the tube. I attached a bycycle pump with a ball inflator into the tube and then pulled the handle of the bike pump out and that sucked a big lump of gunge out of the pipe. Then I got the wife to squirt the washers a few time, and they worked fine. You can now reassemble the whole thing, make sure that the coloured cap click as you put it back, otherwise you will lose it. Hope this helps
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 14:13   #4
TTR

Flipper234

Cheers for the info, I will give it a go.

I have read various threads that you can and cannot lift the washer arm up due to resistance from whatever pressure is used hydrolic or mechanical.

Did yours not pop up and squirt before you cleared the blockage? Or did yours pop up and not squirt? ( no funny comments anyone!)

At least I feel I am narrowing down alternatives before having to face taking the bumper of to get at the who.e assembly.

Really appreciate any further inputs

I will photo the fix and post it up once I get it sorted

Cheers
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 14:32   #5
flipper234
VOC Member

Smile

Hi,again
The thing was popping up but no water was coming out. Just be gentle when you pull it up. Cheers
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 17:27   #6
TTR

Flipper234

Thanks for that , your problems definitely different to mine but could be related

I have definitely established its hydrolic pressure that lifts the nozzle.
The drivers side is the last in line and it works so it's looking more like a blocked pipe or split pipe in line.

I have tried prizing up the top of the washer.......mmmmm just how much pressure so you need, it's only a spring, but hell its putting up a fight, my northern mits might just get a bit over excited and yank the thing too hard ( as usual) and end up with more damage.

Hopefully try and make some more progress tomorrow

Anyway appreciate all the help thus far.

The folks on here are really helpful, makes a pleasant change to other forums I have had to use in the past.

Cheers
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:15   #7
TTR

All,

In way of a brief progress report ........there is none!

Spent the best part of a couple of hours trying to prize,lever, tug the nozzle up - no luck.

Tried sliding plastic trim removal tools screwdrivers, packing with card all to no avail.

It cannot be this difficult surely? is it me?

If its a spring holding it down god only knows the water pressure required to lift it up.

I am nervous about applying too much force as the cap seem so fragile and i do not want to break it.

I am going to resort to taking the bumper off, it may just be easier. Possibly look at it next weekend now.

Cheers all
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:28   #8
tt82
Forum Support Team

You should be able to just remove the 5 Torx screws holding the wheel arch liner to the bumper to be able to access it. Removing the wheel will help but you could just apply full left lock. If you could reach in and unclip the pipe, if it is not blocked it should drain the washer fluid out. If it is blocked then nothing will come out.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 13:02   #9
TTR

tt82,

cheers for that , will give it a go.

not sure on how far i need to get in to see and or remove the offending part.

i am hoping its just a blocked T piece, on the basis the other side works and its fed water by the same pipe as the passenger side, just guess work on my part.

Would make life easier, although its all assumption so far on my part in how this is intended to work.

i must just be unlucky, but because i have no other signs of a leak it cannot be a detached pipe.

Cheers for the advice
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 13:26   #10
tt82
Forum Support Team

Your correct though it is a 'Y' junction not a 'T' about a 12 inches after it connects to the washer bottle. Trust me if the pipe had a leak in it, you would lose washer fluid every time you topped up the tank. There is a little grey (IIRC) C clip which you pull out and then the hose just pulls down off the nozzle.

As I said, if washer fluid start leaking out, it is the washer mechanism that at fault, if it doesn't then it's the hose.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post: